Master Gardener Plant Sale this Saturday 23March

3,549 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by techno-ag
Animal Eight 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SATURDAY MARCH 23 8AM TO 1PM

BRAZOS COUNTY MASTER GARDENERS ANNUAL PLANT SALE

4153 COUNTY PARK CT. BRYAN (Next to the County Appraisal Office)

BRING YOUR WAGONS AND COME EARLY FOR BEST SELECTION

See photos for plant list.

Price list should be out Friday.

Mmetag10
AG
Any update on price list? I've looked but can't find it.
HRGuy
AG
When does it start?
It is time to put the chairs in the wagon
HRGuy
AG
Sorry just saw 8 am
Animal Eight 84
AG
The prices range from $6 to $10 for 1 gallon size, $11 to $28 for 3 gallon size, and $3 for all 4" pots. Also, all 1 gallon tomato plants are $8 , and peppers are $4.

MsDoubleD81
AG
I just left there. Basically no plants left. If I was at the right spot. Parking lot of tax office??
Mmetag10
AG
Yes i got there at 9 and it was almost gone already.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
We got there around 7:30 and were approximately 150 to 200 in line. It gets more crowded earlier and earlier each year.
waterchick
They sold every single thing. Well done Master Gardeners! I was shopping at 8:15 - 8:30 AM and some items were already gone (but some plants probably had a starting inventory of 10 or something).
Animal Eight 84
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

I just left there. Basically no plants left. If I was at the right spot. Parking lot of tax office??

Early birds loaded up !
Animal Eight 84
AG
Thanks to all that came , I really enjoyed working the sale.

Master Gardeners will be at the Hullabloom Fest April 20th at Leach Gardens if you have plant questions.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Delete
MsDoubleD81
AG
I'll remember that next year. I'll be first in line and buy everything!!!
Tailgate88
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

I always chuckle when I see they advertise "Open 8-12". More like 8:00 - 9:00 would be reasonable.
HRGuy
AG
Just curious…. If you wanted to be in the first 25 or so to enter. What time did the arrival start?

Didn't see any tents but I didn't do my drive by until about 7:15
EBrazosAg
AG
What it demonstrates is how we need a Calloways/Corneilus in BCS. We have no nurseries in the area that would grade better than a C in Austin, Dallas or Houston. The ARE in Independence/Brenham and The Arbor Gate in Tomball are so much better than anything local it's really pitiful
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jetty
AG
Farm Patch has all we need/want every year .
UhOhNoAgTag
Tailgate88 said:

MsDoubleD81 said:

I always chuckle when I see they advertise "Open 8-12". More like 8:00 - 9:00 would be reasonable.

They shouldn't advertise 8-1 if they don't have inventory to back it up. Only positive thing is the traffic control was good. It's the good ole boy network.

I've noticed similar at Farmers Market. I got there at 8:30 for fresh eggs and the 1 guy selling was out. Wasn't impressed with that either.
UhOhNoAgTag
Good, healthy plants, but not much inventory. I still drive to Tomball/Spring for Cornelius.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Yes, this was a real eye opener when I retired here from DFW. You'd think "ag" school would have better.
EBrazosAg
AG
Agreed. Farm Patch nice but if it meets your needs we are playing a different game. It's a produce market with plants. Not a nursery.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Same experience with Farmers Market. I was like, " is this it??"
Animal Eight 84
AG
UhOhNoAgTag said:

Tailgate88 said:

MsDoubleD81 said:

They shouldn't advertise 8-1 if they don't have inventory to back it up. Only positive thing is the traffic control was good. It's the good ole boy network.

I've noticed similar at Farmers Market. I got there at 8:30 for fresh eggs and the 1 guy selling was out. Wasn't impressed with that either.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

It's a nonprofit fundraiser - with a goal to sell out in one day, not carry inventory like a nursery .

Last year at closing there were a bunch of leftover plants that notably reduced the money raised, so decision was made to extend hours.

Lucky the weather was excellent so the early morning crowd was enormous. A bad weather day and there potentially would have been leftover plants again.

I also am surprised a top notch retail nursery doesn't exist in a community of over 250,0000.
Animal Eight 84
AG
HRGuy said:

Just curious…. If you wanted to be in the first 25 or so to enter. What time did the arrival start?

Didn't see any tents but I didn't do my drive by until about 7:15
When I showed up at 0630 to work the sale, people were already lined up !
studioone
Not a single carnivorous plant on the list... boo..

studioone
EBrazosAg said:

What it demonstrates is how we need a Calloways/Corneilus in BCS. We have no nurseries in the area that would grade better than a C in Austin, Dallas or Houston. The ARE in Independence/Brenham and The Arbor Gate in Tomball are so much better than anything local it's really pitiful

I've been told by a few sources that the local water is bad for pretty plants... yes, they'll survive, but not thrive... and most of what's sold at Lowes and HD wont survive long around here...

I've actually considered opening a nursery but need partners... I've got the land and a building... but it's in Millican..
texAZtea
AG
studioone said:

EBrazosAg said:

I've been told by a few sources that the local water is bad for pretty plants... yes, they'll survive, but not thrive... and most of what's sold at Lowes and HD wont survive long around here...

I've actually considered opening a nursery but need partners... I've got the land and a building... but it's in Millican..
I can't bankroll it but ballpark figure, what do you need?
oklaunion
EBrazosAg said:

Agreed. Farm Patch nice but if it meets your needs we are playing a different game. It's a produce market with plants. Not a nursery.
Farm Patch had some things today I hadn't seen this year. 6 packs of Cherokee Purple as well as started Spineless Okra plants really caught my eye and went home with me. Plus after grabbing some more lick tubs, I needed some Miracle Grow Potting Soil and they are the same price as Walmart and Lowes for the big bags. I will give my money to the locals.
Birddog
AG
oklaunion said:

EBrazosAg said:

Farm Patch had some things today I hadn't seen this year. 6 packs of Cherokee Purple as well as started Spineless Okra plants really caught my eye and went home with me. Plus after grabbing some more lick tubs, I needed some Miracle Grow Potting Soil and they are the same price as Walmart and Lowes for the big bags. I will give my money to the locals.

If there is something specific you want from Farm Patch, ask Ann. She can possibly order what you want and give you a call when it comes in.

She isn't always there but she does know her stuff, so also a good resource to bounce questions off of.
studioone
texAZtea said:

studioone said:

EBrazosAg said:

Someone who is far more into plants than I am... I need an 'Anne'.. (see post right before this one....)

Ive known Anne for almost 20 years, and she's looking forward to retirement.. SO a younger version...
Jetty
AG
We buy almost all of our plants at Farm Patch. Always has great quality!
legalbird
Huge need for a real nursery.
woodiewood
It would be nice to have a good one here, but It's a nice and short drive to both Antique Rose and Arbogate. I go to both a few times annually. Our water is so bad here. The nursery over in Plantersville has about a 5,000 gallon tank of sulferic acid so that they add to their irrigation water so they can lower the pH below neutral.

In BCS, if you use fertilizer, use an ammonium sulfate fertilizer rather than a ammonium nitrate fertilizer. It does help lower the pH a little. Most plants really need a pH of from about 6 to 6.5.

studioone
studioone said:

texAZtea said:

studioone said:

EBrazosAg said:

Someone who is far more into plants than I am... I need an 'Anne'.. (see post right before this one....)

Ive known Anne for almost 20 years, and she's looking forward to retirement.. SO a younger version...
sorry.. thought you were asking what I need instead of money... but again, I need someone who knows plants..

plants are cheap... I've bought bulk roses before at wholesale... just gotta know the right people... think of the antique rose emporium.. most of their roses are just sitting in their yard... and building benches to put plants on for smaller plants.... not a problem...

if you're interested in chatting, email me... darrin at avalonweddingsbcs dot com
techno-ag
AG
EBrazosAg said:

The problem is retailers often make the mistake of doing their demographics on one town only. They don't realize the county has a population of a quarter million and they'd be serving everyone here plus the outlying areas, not just one city.

Glad the sale was such a huge success. Maybe we can see more things like this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.