Concerns surrounding medians in Bryan and College Station spark citizen-led initiativ

3,307 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by milner79
WolfCall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally, someone is taking Action! The Tide is turning in favor of Median Haters.

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/03/07/concerns-surrounding-medians-bryan-college-station-spark-citizen-led-initiative/
Quote:

Concerns surrounding medians in Bryan and College Station spark citizen-led initiative
By Donnie Tuggle
Published: Mar. 7, 2024 at 5:51 PM CST
BRYAN-COLLEGE STATION, Texas (KBTX) A group of concerned citizens is pushing for the removal of medians in Bryan and College Station. The BCS Medians Survey Team, which is not affiliated with any city entity, is working to address challenges they say these medians create, particularly on Texas Avenue from University Drive to Old Hearne Road. The group also voiced concerns about other areas like Briarcrest, Villa Maria, and Harvey Road.

Recently the city of Houston started removing medians and curbs near Downtown after concerns were raised about larger vehicles being hindered. Here locally, the group is actively seeking public support and hopes to gather 30,000 signatures on a petition they want to present to city leaders and TxDot.

"Our first step for the next few months is just to conduct a survey, visit as many businesses, get as many people to come in and tell us how they feel about the medians. We're looking for pros and cons," said Jack Robbins, the spokesperson for the BCD Median Survey Project. " The more people who come in and fill out this survey, you'll get an opportunity after you do the survey to sign a petition if you're interested. That will give us more information to tell us how to proceed."

Robbins says the medians force drivers to make risky u-turns, propel traffic into neighborhoods, cause issues for first responders, and negatively impact businesses.

"If I'm a visitor driving through town and I can't get in this restaurant right over here, well, I'm just going to go up the road. It's just hard to get into these places," said Robbins.......

"From my understanding, we're ultimately gonna have to deal with Texas DOT and the Brazos Valley MPO. So I'm hoping that we can get the cities to lead the effort to talk to those folks, or at a very minimum give us their strong endorsement that they're behind us," said Robbins.....

CS78
Reminds of the redlight cameras. Sometimes government over plays their hand.
studioone
where do I sign?
Koko Chingo
AG
studioone said:

where do I sign?

https://www.bcsmedianssurvey.org/
MS08
AG
CS78 said:

Reminds of the redlight cameras. Sometimes government over plays their hand.

Happy to have been a participant in that petition!
hopeandrealchange
Once the common Sense decision is made to remove the insanity. We need to figure out a way to hold the ones that came up with the plan financially responsible. I can only imagine the smiles on the faces of the road contractors in this area. I am amazed at the amount of concrete that gets removed in the twin cities after just a few short years.
Bad Poster
Can we add any upcoming roundabouts to the petition as well? I know they are wanting to install those headaches on 1179 past miramont. Will be a disaster.
Russell Bradleys Toupee
In
75AG
AG
I signed up yesterday. So far, crickets.
KidDoc
AG
Bad Poster said:

Can we add any upcoming roundabouts to the petition as well? I know they are wanting to install those headaches on 1179 past miramont. Will be a disaster.
Name checks out. Round a bouts are amazing! I've driven around Ireland and Caymen in the last 12 months and found them far more effective than red lights and cheaper.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EagleLM
I concur with Roundabouts good. I like the one at Towerpoint...except for the mean people that stop at the yield sign when there is someone on the other side of the circle.
maroon barchetta
I have no issue with the roundabouts, except when people don't understand or care to use them properly.

It's like a lot of things when driving. Morons and entitled people will ruin anything. But the design of them is not the problem.
cypress-ag
cypress-ag
AG

If it can happen in Houston …… maybe there is hope for BCS. Newly installed medians on Washington Avenue removed. Complaint from EMS, first responders and business owners who were loosing $ because of medians. If only local officials here would be so thoughtful.
Smeghead4761
Bad Poster said:

Those traffic circles are NECESSARY because of the medians they plan to install, all the way out to Steep Hollow Road. Otherwise, people who live on (by live on I mean their address/driveway is on 1179) the south side of 1179 won't be able to turn left out of their driveways to go into town, and people on the north side won't be able to turn left to get into their driveways when coming from town.

The traffic circles thus become necessary to let them turn around, because they sure as heck aren't going to install a turn lane for every driveway on 1179.
CS78

cypress-ag said:

If it can happen in Houston …… maybe there is hope for BCS. Newly installed medians on Washington Avenue removed. Complaint from EMS, first responders and business owners who were loosing $ because of medians. If only local officials here would be so thoughtful.
milner79
Heads should roll over this median fiasco.

Taxpayer dollars spent to install.

Now potentially taxpayer dollars spent to demolish.

Shameful and uncalled for in 2024. What politician, engineer or contractor didn't realize that these things would be an impediment to emergency vehicles?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.