Where to dispose of florescent bulbs in B/CS? NM

1,927 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by techno-ag
Moscin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NM
PS3D
Trash can
trouble
AG
We've taken them to Home Depot in the past. You might call and see if they still take them.
Dufflepud
Last I checked there was a 6' mound of several thousand of them just inside the fence at Wakefield Sign on Hwy. 30. I'm not suggesting you toss them onto that pile since no one would notice. Not at all.
Vinewood_03
Some random business's dumpster.
tu ag
AG
Fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury.
The best way to dispose of them is through the Household Hazardous Waste collection that is done twice a year.
AgTrip
wareagle044
tu ag said:

The best way to dispose of them is through the Household Hazardous Waste collection that is done twice a year.

That's a long time to hold on to some lightbulbs
tu ag
AG
I have several 4" long fixtures around thee house, so I buy boxes with of a dozen bulbs or so. I take a new bulb out and put an old bulb in the empty spot. Once the box is full, I take it to the next HHW collection.

Mercury is bad stuff and lasts for a long time.
TAMC11
AG
wareagle044 said:

tu ag said:

Yea I held onto some for a while in order to "dispose of them properly". Ended up missing the day so I just threw them away.
TyHolden
AG
PS3D said:

Trash can

BrazosDog02
AG
wareagle044 said:

tu ag said:

Especially since the hazardous waste folks are going to dump them in the trash. Lol.
davido
AG
Seems like there should just be a drive-by place to drop them. Like kiosks. Even if at the edge of town, like our university or our 30. .
maroon barchetta
davido said:

Seems like there should just be a drive-by place to drop them. Like kiosks. Even if at the edge of town, like our university or our 30. .

Why should the university be responsible for handling the drop off of spent bulbs containing mercury, most of which the public would probably break when dropping them off, thus nullifying the goal of recycling them?
techno-ag
AG
I think he was referring to the hazardous waste drop off events.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.