College Station Lies... roundabouts suck!

3,566 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Tailgate88
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't let them fool you into believing these are good things...

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/09/14/roundabouts-proposed-victoria-avenue-college-station/

I got one about 2 blocks from my house and I daily see people turning left into it. And I've even seen left turners stop in the middle of a turn to let someone in, which cant happen cause that person's turning right.. so the left turner gets confused...

I've even seen people drive straight across the circle... tire tracks right down the middle of the circle...

Of course I do live in Bryan, but hey... they still suck.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Anyone that does what you described needs to stop driving.

The roundabout isn't the problem. The driver is the problem.
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
studioone said:

Don't let them fool you into believing these are good things...

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/09/14/roundabouts-proposed-victoria-avenue-college-station/

I got one about 2 blocks from my house and I daily see people turning left into it. And I've even seen left turners stop in the middle of a turn to let someone in, which cant happen cause that person's turning right.. so the left turner gets confused...

I've even seen people drive straight across the circle... tire tracks right down the middle of the circle...

Of course I do live in Bryan, but hey... they still suck.
I love them. Just because we have moron drivers that don't have a clue on how to drive and the laws doesn't mean they are not good. Maybe they just need to put some spikes in the middle. Ask the tire dealers to contribute to the cost of installing them?
A Net Full of Jello
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Obligatory:

australopithecus robustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes they are great and efficient. The rest of the world has been using them quite well for some time. If you can't navigate a roundabout then you shouldn't drive.

Of course this is the town where some people can't seem to understand the right turn off university onto southbound Texas and enter hwy 6 at 40 mph.....
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
""It's really safe, it's sufficient. It does take a small learning curb to get used to them, but once you've driven through it a couple of times, it's actually pretty easy," he says."

Lmao who writes this stuff? Or was a pun intended with learning "curb"? Also, should've been "efficient" rather than "sufficient".

I like round abouts. But I've lived in that area for several years and think this is nothing more than more wasteful government spending. There's no need at these locations.
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stupe said:

Anyone that does what you described needs to stop driving.

The roundabout isn't the problem. The driver is the problem.
This! It will take time for Texas drivers to learn how to use them, but what is the alternative? Stop lights every 50 feet or at best every city block (e.g. Texas Ave/University Drive etc.)
AG81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I like roundabouts. What I don't like are the idiots who don't know how to use them. If I've encountered cars in a roundabout, the overwhelming majority of time the car in front of me waits until there's not a car anywhere in the roundabout before going. If they just merged in to traffic, (and people used their blinkers to indicate they're exiting the roundabout), traffic would never come to a stop. In this city, there should never be a time when a car comes to a full stop approaching a roundabout, there just isn't that much traffic where they're used.
Koko Chingo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love watching the people who speed through the roundabouts and didn't quite judge how tight the turn is.

It cracks me up when people are towing something and about 10% of the way in realize they are going too fast.

Or the busses that fly through the one on Old College & College Main. They hit that thing pretty quick. The front of the bus squats way down and the entire bus is leaning. It looks like its going to tip over.
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Koko Chingo said:

I love watching the people who speed through the roundabouts and didn't quite judge how tight the turn is.

It cracks me up when people are towing something and about 10% of the way in realize they are going too fast.

Or the busses that fly through the one on Old College & College Main. They hit that thing pretty quick. The front of the bus squats way down and the entire bus is leaning. It looks like its going to tip over.
When I was an Aggie Bus driver many years ago, we still had the small on campus buses with no A/C so everyone would have the windows rolled down during the non-frigid months. One of my routes went past the Albritton Bell Tower and I would yell out "Airplane time!" and everyone would stick an arm out the window like it was an airplane wing and we'd take an extra lap around the bell tower.

Good times, good times.
Hey Doc, my psoas is sore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Koko Chingo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is awesome!!!
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
studioone said:

Don't let them fool you into believing these are good things...

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/09/14/roundabouts-proposed-victoria-avenue-college-station/

I got one about 2 blocks from my house and I daily see people turning left into it. And I've even seen left turners stop in the middle of a turn to let someone in, which cant happen cause that person's turning right.. so the left turner gets confused...

I've even seen people drive straight across the circle... tire tracks right down the middle of the circle...

Of course I do live in Bryan, but hey... they still suck.
I live in Bryan and most of my jobs are downtown and around that area where most of the roundabouts are and I don't think I've ever witnessed anyone doing the things you describe, and certainly not daily.
Kidwrangler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MyNameIsJeff said:

""It's really safe, it's sufficient. It does take a small learning curb to get used to them, but once you've driven through it a couple of times, it's actually pretty easy," he says."

Lmao who writes this stuff? Or was a pun intended with learning "curb"? Also, should've been "efficient" rather than "sufficient".

I like round abouts. But I've lived in that area for several years and think this is nothing more than more wasteful government spending. There's no need at these locations.


That wording may be the reporter's fault. I read her KBTX profile and from the number of careless errors or misused words written by her, my guess is she translated what she heard into her own misunderstanding of those words. She didn't use "sic" (as a journalist should) to indicate that what she wrote was clearly incorrect, but an exact quote.
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kidwrangler said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

""It's really safe, it's sufficient. It does take a small learning curb to get used to them, but once you've driven through it a couple of times, it's actually pretty easy," he says."

Lmao who writes this stuff? Or was a pun intended with learning "curb"? Also, should've been "efficient" rather than "sufficient".

I like round abouts. But I've lived in that area for several years and think this is nothing more than more wasteful government spending. There's no need at these locations.


That wording may be the reporter's fault. I read her KBTX profile and from the number of careless errors or misused words written by her, my guess is she translated what she heard into her own misunderstanding of those words. She didn't use "sic" (as a journalist should) to indicate that what she wrote was clearly incorrect, but an exact quote.
sufficient would work...they are sufficient for you to get through the intersection.
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Roundabouts are great.

They are better than 4 way stops and stoplights.
yeah, some people are confused by them but eventually they will learn it.

If we never do anything new because of fear and anecdotal evidence that other people won't know how to learn it, then we'll never progress. Always gonna be a learning curve for something new.

Instead of fearing change, embrace it and let's move forward with better ideas and concepts rather than just say "it will never work because it's unfamiliar"
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Roundabouts are fine. It's the locals who aren't. They're really stupidly easy to navigate and deal with.
befitter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bring on the roundabouts!
Dustoff00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like roundabouts. I also am a huge fan of the diverging diamond, but I am sure folks will flame away because they don't know any better.
Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Round abouts are great and reduce congestion and pollution. I hope they install as many as they can so that Texans learn how to use them before coming up to Colorado.
MedianEnjoyer2023
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Belton Ag said:

studioone said:

Don't let them fool you into believing these are good things...

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/09/14/roundabouts-proposed-victoria-avenue-college-station/

I got one about 2 blocks from my house and I daily see people turning left into it. And I've even seen left turners stop in the middle of a turn to let someone in, which cant happen cause that person's turning right.. so the left turner gets confused...

I've even seen people drive straight across the circle... tire tracks right down the middle of the circle...

Of course I do live in Bryan, but hey... they still suck.
I live in Bryan and most of my jobs are downtown and around that area where most of the roundabouts are and I don't think I've ever witnessed anyone doing the things you describe, and certainly not daily.


I've seen left-turners in the circle maybe three or four times at the north edge of downtown over the last few months. One did it while I was actually already in the circle. Got it on dashcam.

I'd not be too surprised if it does happen daily.
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trgt said:

Belton Ag said:

studioone said:

Don't let them fool you into believing these are good things...

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/09/14/roundabouts-proposed-victoria-avenue-college-station/

I got one about 2 blocks from my house and I daily see people turning left into it. And I've even seen left turners stop in the middle of a turn to let someone in, which cant happen cause that person's turning right.. so the left turner gets confused...

I've even seen people drive straight across the circle... tire tracks right down the middle of the circle...

Of course I do live in Bryan, but hey... they still suck.
I live in Bryan and most of my jobs are downtown and around that area where most of the roundabouts are and I don't think I've ever witnessed anyone doing the things you describe, and certainly not daily.


I've seen left-turners in the circle maybe three or four times at the north edge of downtown over the last few months. One did it while I was actually already in the circle. Got it on dashcam.

I'd not be too surprised if it does happen daily.
I suspect we have issues at non-roundabout intersections at times also.

I would say that about 10% of drivers either don't know how to drive in traffic or don't care what they are doing.

Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would be very surprised if a single person actually saw this happening every day.

I would be less surprised that it happens once a day, on average, at some point in a 24 hour period.
EagleLM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I disagree with those that say people will eventually learn how to use roundabouts. In my daily drive to/from work I see several examples of people who stop at yield signs with no one approaching. They just don't understand the concept of continuing thru.
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EagleLM said:

I disagree with those that say people will eventually learn how to use roundabouts. In my daily drive to/from work I see several examples of people who stop at yield signs with no one approaching. They just don't understand the concept of continuing thru.
Probably, but we really can't protect everyone from themselves. People will either desire to learn how they work or not.....Can lead a horse.....

Daily I see the same occurrences on the right turns that have their own lanes at the corners of University/TX and Hwy 6/University.

I think some people are so scared of an accident that they are the ones creating an increased probability of an accident.
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess my phone has been listening to me because Facebook put this in my feed ("Suggested for you…")
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.