Hummingbirds are back!

5,797 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by befitter
war hymn aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Noticed them a couple of weeks ago. We have a lot of flowers on the back patio area & a couple were visiting often.

Put out a feeder today & now 4-5 of 'em are fighting it out for feeding rights.

Reminder for others to do the same.

Cheap entertainment.
Rex Racer
AG
I saw some in the Gardens on campus at lunch. Very cool.
maddiedou
AG
Yep I had about 12 for the last 4 weeks and now I got zip they all left three days ago. Give me back my hummers
EBrazosAg
AG
Peak migration over. Had a bimodal distribution for me. Was going through 9-12 cups of nectar a day early September and again early this week. Still 3-4 cups a day today but rapid fall off last 3 days.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
spike427
AG
I had some at the morning glory in my backyard a few days earlier this week! Didn't spot any today or yesterday. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them earlier next time.
phillytex24
How wonderful!!!!!
AG81
AG
All over my feeders this morning.... at least a dozen. Like a hummingbird Top Gun out there.
EBrazosAg
AG
Agreed - definitely a 3rd wave of birds today.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
classicdoug
AG
We have 5 feeders and are going through about a half gallon of nectar a day. Still swarming today.
Tumble Weed
Saw them the last 7 days. My kids are making fun of my old man hobby.

Saw 3 at lake Somerville today as well. Angry little dudes.
doubledog
classicdoug said:

We have 5 feeders and are going through about a half gallon of nectar a day. Still swarming today.

I have a pair that my wife is making so fat with nectar, that they can't fly anymore
ZoneClubber
AG
Well, we're waiting. Haven't had any yet.
GenXAg
Saw my first once since late spring/early summer this past weekend. Guess it's time to get the feeders going again.
doubledog
Saw one pumping my empty feeder. Time for a refill.
Russell Bradleys Toupee
Saw one hitting the trumpet vine yesterday.
Girlhowdy
AG
We have one or two show up everyday now for the past week. I change the juice everyday in this heat.
Tailgate88
AG
We've got a couple that have been coming by and hitting the feeder pretty consistently for the past couple weeks. Been changing the feed and doing 4/1 instead of 3/1 ratio to help keep them hydrated!
Girlhowdy
AG
Tailgate88 said:

We've got a couple that have been coming by and hitting the feeder pretty consistently for the past couple weeks. Been changing the feed and doing 4/1 instead of 3/1 ratio to help keep them hydrated!

I set out fresh water bowls for all the birds in addition to all the bird food feeders. They are popular but I've never seen a hummer there. Hopefully they are hydrated enough through the 4:1 ratio.
Tailgate88
AG
Never heard of that but I will put one out and see if any come to it.
BMo
The birds will come to water before seed/feed right now. They can find seeds on the ground or bugs under the leaves of plants. I put in a water feature earlier this year and the birds get crowded there. I have never seen a hummingbird at one except at a state park but it was to drink, not get wet.

KidDoc
AG
Girlhowdy said:

Tailgate88 said:

I set out fresh water bowls for all the birds in addition to all the bird food feeders. They are popular but I've never seen a hummer there. Hopefully they are hydrated enough through the 4:1 ratio.
They like to drink out of my pool waterfall- it is salt based but should be safe for them judging by how many are still alive and chirping.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I have about 20 swarming my backyard!
ag009
AG
Yep, bunch showed up last few days. West Bryan.
MsDoubleD81
AG
They are buzzing my dog! His head can't turn quick enough!
91_Aggie
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

They are buzzing my dog! His head can't turn quick enough!

They aren't fast enough for our cat. She has already brought us one and set it on our kitchen floor
EBrazosAg
AG
Definitely heavy migrations starting. Also saw a Baltimore Oriole today.
befitter
I've got 3 feeders out and they are swarming.
Birddog
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Definitely heavy migrations starting. Also saw a Baltimore Oriole today.

Not sure what kind of oriole it is but I have one at the feeders also. I put out some orange slices which seem appreciated.
classicdoug
AG
Our hummingbirds are swarming to. We are going through a gallon and a half of nectar every day with 6 feeders. Definitely have an oriole too!

My wife uses the Merlin Bird ID app from Cornell Lab. It's an amazing app to identify birds by their sounds. Definitely worth downloading, and it's free!
MsDoubleD81
AG
Anyone know how long they'll hang around. They are so much fun to watch.
FlyRod
Just put up a feeder and it was swarmed in seconds. They are hungry.
turfman80
AG
Just a handful here out in Steep Hollow...seems to be the ones that over summered. Even our flowering coral vine is not being visited . Im wondering if the migration pattern is going through urban areas where the vegetation is greener from more watered lawns/landscapes? Anyone out in the county having any swarms?
MsDoubleD81
AG
Mine started on the vitex, Turks cap and hyacinth bean, then moved on to the feeders. I have 5 feeders in a small backyard and one in front near the vitex.
war hymn aggie
AG
Put your feeders out folks!

Hummers are returning & they need your help because of the extreme weather conditions.

Put a feeder out this morning and had a few visitors out before noon. They are aggressively fighting for their territory,,,, unlike the A&M defense vs Miami.

Wish it was so easy to help with the trees that I see that are dying in our area or have already died.....

2011 may have to take a back step to the summer of '23

It's been a historically brutal summer.

FlyRod
War hymn, I have Aggieland Green coming to do a deep-root treatment on my old live oaks. You might want to give them a call. Not cheap, but old trees are worth saving.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.