CS voting

9,190 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MiMi
threecatcorner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On KBTX, it says that College Station is going to have an election (this year, 2021, which is an odd year) to determine if they should switch from having elections on even years to having them on odd years.

That makes no sense. If they are considering switching off of even years, why don't they have to have that vote held on an even year?

Both arguments seem to be claiming their way would result in more turnout and/or interest in local elections.

Also, didn't they already do this the other way? I'm pretty sure that, at one point, they held local elections on years that didn't have national or state elections (in other words, they were on odd years), and the voter turnout was usually pathetically low, so they voted to move local elections to the same years as state and national ones (even years) so there would be better turnout and so they wouldn't have to spend extra money for holding extra elections (whatever they pay the people who sit at the polling locations and whatever they pay if they have to pay rental fees). I don't remember what year this was, but I do remember them making this change supposedly to save money and increase turnout. Anyone else remember this?
BCSWguru
U expect anything different from the Crompton Cronies?
oklaunion
The "heat islands" are less sweltering during odd years. Plus the mayor indicated CS voters are too lazy to go all the way to the end of the ballot and vote on city issues on years when national elections are occurring.
cavscout96
AG
oklaunion said:

The "heat islands" are less sweltering during odd years. Plus the mayor indicated CS voters are too lazy to go all the way to the end of the ballot and vote on city issues on years when national elections are occurring.
back door voter suppression.

This has everything to do with leveraging voter apathy in odd years to keep the current gang in office longer.
Flatlander
[We will not tolerate insults and posters on this forum will post in a respectful manner or have their entire post removed. -Staff]
BCS-Ag
This is thinly veiled gerrymandering. If this pushes through, it wouldn't be hard to get it back on the ballot for 2022 using a citizen petition.
91_Aggie
AG
[You have been warned plenty of times on this forum. -Staff]
OceanStateAg
AG
Odd year voting generally brings out less than 10% of registered voters. It allows a small minority to dictate the members of the Council and their subsequent agenda.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
OceanStateAg said:

Odd year voting generally brings out less than 10% of registered voters. It allows a small minority to dictate the members of the Council and their subsequent agenda.
Except this time there are going to be a number of citizens (myself included) who are so pi$$ed off at the idiots in charge that they will be voting in droves to oust every incumbent in office. Same for the school board.

The current regime is scared sh*tless about this and are doing everything in their power to suppress the current sentiment and hope things blow over.
australopithecus robustus
Historically, regimes of leadership at the city, especially staff, have shown a pattern of not observing or communicating information and decisions to the next regime. Or, the following regime simply ignores the previous regime. If you've been around long enough and dealt with the city, you'll know this to be true.

It works on micro cycles of five year rotations and macro cycles of 10 years.

One regime writes verbal checks that the next regime does not cash. The result is dysfunction and broken promises. This is why the city finds itself in conflict and lawsuits from time to time and doesn't seem to understand how or why.

I've also noticed this with other government entities, but none worse than the city.

The reason I say this is that this proposed change is likely just another resultant flip flop from that dysfunction.

doubledog
Ultimately we are responsible for our own (local) government. We need to vote.
Brian Alg
What's your beef with the school board? I have my own issues,. But I am curious what other people's issues are. Usually the candidates all sound the same to me so it is hard for me to figure out what the contentious issues are there.
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
davido
AG
Bump
wasntme
[We have made it clear that we are not going to allow insulting terms or phrases on this forum and we are going to keep banning posters that ignore those warnings. -Staff]
Oogway
[We are also going to ban posters that make it difficult to clean up threads by quoting those types of posts. -Staff]
KidDoc
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

OceanStateAg said:

Except this time there are going to be a number of citizens (myself included) who are so pi$$ed off at the idiots in charge that they will be voting in droves to oust every incumbent in office. Same for the school board.

The current regime is scared sh*tless about this and are doing everything in their power to suppress the current sentiment and hope things blow over.
I will be shocked if more than 10% vote. I vote every cycle with early voting but the turn out is usually embarrassing outside of presidential runs.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
Can anyone link a website(s) going over the platforms of the school board people?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FlyRod
I am ambivalent about switching years, but I can see an argument for it. In presidential or midterm elections, many people likely only focus on the top of the ballot, and just automatically push the "R" or "D" the rest of the way down. In an off year maybe ( a big if of course) people would focus more on the local candidates, issues, etc.

The downside is I cannot fathom how it would increase turnout outside the interest generated by a presidential or congressional election.

Ok just noticed KidDoc made the turnout point already!
davido
AG
It's designed to DECREASE turnout.

It will increase costs for the city because they'll be running an election when they otherwise wouldn't be.
Stupe
S
Quote:

I am ambivalent about switching years, but I can see an argument for it. In presidential or midterm elections, many people likely only focus on the top of the ballot, and just automatically push the "R" or "D" the rest of the way down. In an off year maybe ( a big if of course) people would focus more on the local candidates, issues, etc.
That is why I lean towards liking it.
oklaunion
FlyRod said:

The downside is I cannot fathom how it would increase turnout outside the interest generated by a presidential or congressional election.

Ok just noticed KidDoc made the turnout point already!
Maybe they vote straight ticket more nowadays but back when Brazos County was really more conservative, Bill Turner would always come out on top despite running as a (D).
taxpreparer
AG
Even if they do vote straight ticket and never scroll to the "non-partisan" elections, how does that affect those elections? Those voters will not come out on odd years.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
aggiepaintrain
AG
All I need to know is whether they are red or blue.

Does anyone know ?
FJB
George Costanza
As of 2020, there is no longer a "straight ticket" voting option in Texas.
CS78
aggiepaintrain said:

All I need to know is whether they are red or blue.

Does anyone know ?

Unfortunately red or blue no longer cuts it. We have to be able to separate the true freedom loving conservatives from the people just using a party to gain power. That's the info that can be hard to extract.
aggiepaintrain
AG
To me it's a simple choice unless there are multiple red candidates
FJB
KidDoc
AG
Decent little article on KBTX with a video link to the 2 hr forum as well that was posted yesterday 10/18/2021.

BCS Chamber hosts candidate forum as early voting begins for College Station elections (kbtx.com)
Brian Alg
I will need to look later. Did they go over Maloney's thing about instituting a $15/hr minimum wage for the city?
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
KidDoc
AG
I'm just tossing up links as I find information, ignore or use at your leisure:

City Council Place 6
Dennis Maloney (maloneyforcollegestation.com)

vs

Marie-Anne Mousseau-Holland
https://business.facebook.com/marie.tx.qc/?__xts__[0" class="postlink " target="_blank">=68.arbupz...&fref=nf]Marie-Anne Mousseau-Holland For College Station City Council, Place 6 | Facebook

vs
David Levine
Home - David Levine for College Station (davidforcollegestation.com)
KidDoc
AG
City Council place 4

Elizabeth Cunha
Elizabeth Cunha For College Station City Council (cunhaforcitycouncil.com)

vs

William Wright
Wright CS Council Place 4 (poliengine.com)
KidDoc
AG
School Board Place 1

Amy Alge
Amy Alge, CSISD Board of Trustees, Place 1, Candidate | Facebook

vs

Darin Paine
Darin Paine, CSISD Board of Trustee Place 1 - Candidate | Facebook

KidDoc
AG
School Board Place 2

Kim Ege
Kim Ege for College Station ISD School Board, Place 2

Blaine Decker
Blaine Decker for College Station School Board

MengMeng Gu ( I cannot find a webpage for her school board campaign)
Mengmeng Gu (tamu.edu)
Mengmeng Gu | Facebook
From her Facebook post:
Howdy! My name is Mengmeng Gu candidate for CSISD Board of Trustees, Place 2. All my school-age kids are in CSISD schools. I am very interested in the well-being of CSISD and am running because I believe I can make a valuable contribution to the district.
We, you and I, have a lot more in common than most of us realize. As a mother of three CSISD kids, I care the most about my kids' education and (mental and physical) health. COVID-19 has been wreaking havoc on our daily lives and kids' education. How do we make sure our kids are learning in a mentally and physically safe environment? My Ph.D. training drives me to make decisions based on science and data. In addition, our kids are often faced with bullying, both verbal and physical. How do we prevent bullying and equip students with tools to overcome it? I equally appreciate the importance of math and science as well as arts for a well-rounded education. Working full-time as an educator myself, I have been at the front lines during COVID, so I understand lots of the difficulties many teachers and families are facing. I am running because I care about the health and well-being of our students and would like to listen to other parents such as myself and offer my unique perspectives to provide common sense solutions to many issues we are facing in CSISD.
I hope this will be a platform for us to get to know each other. Feel free to call/text me to discuss any issues at 662-368-8552 or leave comments here.

momlaw
AG
Quote:

The topic of election accessibility vs. suppression has been voted on twice by CoCS residents.

On background:
Off cycle elections were created during Reconstruction with the intention of suppressing undesirable voters.
When its success at selective election turnout was proven many public employee unions became promoters of off cycle voting so small mutually interested groups could elect those with whom they would be negotiating their contracts.

First vote was in the '12-'13 time frame when Texas allowed municipalities to hold elections in November rather than be constrained to May.

CoCS Council went to extreme measures to put keeping elections in May on the ballot.
A group of citizens who believe representative government is good government plus some Aggie students formed a political action committee and beat the city's measure with a 68% margin.
Fast forward 2018.
Specifically election years (even/odd) were on the ballot. Even years won with 70%, The switch over began.

So, YES, the voters in College Station have voted resoundingly to make elections accessible.
And, NO our Council refuses to accept the answer.

Stop Prop C - Vote NO to promote engaged and involved representative government in College Station.

My $0.02: If the argument can be won on merit "home cooking" is not necessary.
From other CS election related thread.
momlaw
hudmoon
AG
Vote NO for proposition 2

https://www.caller.com/story/opinion/forums/2021/10/08/voters-should-reject-texas-prop-2-would-increase-property-taxes/6057572001/
Stupe
S
Sounds like Gu wants to tell us how we should raise our kids.

Her entire platform screams mask mandate.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.