CBL, owner of Post Oak Mall, misses bond payment

5,746 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMo
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not bankruptcy at least not yet but they're the first big mall landlord to miss a bond payment.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3579507-cbl-associates-to-skip-interest-payment

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mall-owner-cbl-misses-debt-payment-seeks-renegotiation-11591133967

Quote:

Mall owner CBL & Associates Properties Inc. said it failed to make an interest payment of $11.8 million to bondholders on Monday, becoming the first major retail landlord during the coronavirus pandemic to take this step toward a bond default.

The missed interest payment kicks off a 30-day grace period before a debt default becomes official. CBL said in a public filing on Tuesday that it missed the payment "in order to advance discussions with its lenders and explore alternative strategies."

dgonzo99
Their stock value is down to nearly nothing. Hit a high 3 years ago at around 44 dollars. Now less than 30 cents per share. With the possibility of this mall losing up to 4 to 5 major stores, I don't see how it will make it as is. They should switch to an off price theme. That is where retail is going now. However, I have read that there is no money to make any changes in their properties. Sad situation for the workers at the mall. CBL's bond rating is down to junk status.
Koldus131
AG
Needs to be razed when it eventually is foreclosed upon and hopefully a good developer will build a nice lifestyle center or something.

The Brazos Valley has need for a mall type retail center but man the place is a dump as it is now. I think Century Square is a little too small to serve that need.
Post removed:
by user
scd88
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

I would love to see something like Baybrook Mall in Friendswood/Clear Lake. But it will take some deep pockets to do it.

What did they do at Baybrook?

I've always thought malls would be great retirement places. Individual units opening to an inside walking area. They could have onsite medical support, etc.

It would be stupid expensive, though.
MisterShipWreck
scd88 said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

I would love to see something like Baybrook Mall in Friendswood/Clear Lake. But it will take some deep pockets to do it.

I've always thought malls would be great retirement places. Individual units opening to an inside walking area. They could have onsite medical support, etc.

That is an interesting idea...
tb9665
Baybrook Mall is great. It would be nice to have a mall like that.
trouble
AG
Did they redo Baybrook? It didn't used to be anything special.
bcstx06
trouble said:

Did they redo Baybrook? It didn't used to be anything special.

Yes, Baybrook is really big and nice now. There is a section that is open air and there are big box retailers close by. You have to see it.
https://www.houstoniamag.com/style-and-shopping/2016/08/have-you-seen-baybrook-mall-lately
trouble
AG
I'll have to go by there the next time I visit my parents
doubledog
Koldus131 said:

Needs to be razed when it eventually is foreclosed upon and hopefully a good developer will build a nice lifestyle center or something.

The Brazos Valley has need for a mall type retail center but man the place is a dump as it is now. I think Century Square is a little too small to serve that need.
My suggestions :

1) Stop the carnies. Nothing says class like a carnival in your parking lot.
2) Lose the food court and have food stands placed near the entrances and/or key locations.
3) Make the interior a nice place to shop and rest.
4) More exterior shopping entrances.
5) See 1 more class upscale, less walmart look and feel.
ratfacemcdougal
Conn's can't be too happy about this.
Rexter
ratfacemcdougal said:

Conn's got conned...
bcstx06
ratfacemcdougal said:

The Sears building that Conn's is going in is fully owned by them not the mall. Sears owned that and sold it. So if the mall fails, that will still be there.

I don't think the mall will fail completely. They just need new owners willing to invest in it including a complete redo of the dated exterior.
W
AG
it seems very risky to pour millions of dollars into brick & mortar right now
CaptTex
AG
I've always thought that space was a great opportunity for a mixed use development. Problem is, making that kind of concept work can be a very difficult thing, but using the existing structure can help form that concept and provide the basis for that "cozy" atmosphere that people like.
ro828
There's an interesting website called deadmalls.com that has info about failed shopping centers. Being very much an Old I remember going to Northwest Mall and Sharpstown in Houston, and San Jacinto Mall in Baytown. Time does take its toll.
91_Aggie
AG
I do not understand how Conn's is still in business much less opening new locations
MisterShipWreck
ro828 said:

There's an interesting website called deadmalls.com that has info about failed shopping centers. Being very much an Old I remember going to Northwest Mall and Sharpstown in Houston, and San Jacinto Mall in Baytown. Time does take its toll.
I remember all of those too. They are gone?
legalbird
Malls are a thing of the past.

There are a few exceptions, but that whole concept is gone.
91_Aggie
AG
MisterShipWreck said:

ro828 said:

Man. I spent so much time in Windsor Park Mall growing up (in San Antonio) . Aladdin's Castle, the movie theater, Waldenbooks, KayBee Toy Store, B Dalton Bookseller, the various music stores (cassettes), Montgomery Wards, Food Court, the place that sold shurikens and knives, etc.

I think the Army bought it or part of it.
dgonzo99
May not be just the mall. Luby's owns Fuddruckers, and Luby's is trying to sell the business. If they don't, they may fold. That would be another loss for that side of town. That would be unfortunate.
crob
Did Blinn ever build that new campus? If not, use the mall.
techno-ag
AG
Their new campus is in RELLIS.
aggiepaintrain
AG
91_Aggie said:

I do not understand how Conn's is still in business much less opening new locations

they finance in house
frito bandito
crob said:

Did Blinn ever build that new campus? If not, use the mall.
ACC bought the old Highland Mall in Austin; made it a regional campus focusing on technology. ACC has the tax revenues to fund such a venture; Blinn does not. I do not think the COCS would be in favor of trading sales tax revenue for a college campus. Then again, if the mall fails, and associated retail goes away, sales tax revenue is a moot point.
deh40
AG
dgonzo99 said:

May not be just the mall. Luby's owns Fuddruckers, and Luby's is trying to sell the business. If they don't, they may fold. That would be another loss for that side of town. That would be unfortunate.
Is that a corporate owned Fuddruckers or franchise? From what I read, only corporate owned Fuddruckers would be affected by the sale or liquidation.
dgonzo99
deh40 said:

dgonzo99 said:

Is that a corporate owned Fuddruckers or franchise? From what I read, only corporate owned Fuddruckers would be affected by the sale or liquidation.
From the tax records, it looks to be corporate owned.
atm86
AG
scd88 said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

There was a mall at Kingwood. It was made over to a hospital. Two of my kids were born there.
scd88
AG
Interesting. I don't remember that shopping center, but I didn't go up there much when I lived in Houston.
BMo
atm86 said:

scd88 said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

There was a mall at Kingwood. It was made over to a hospital. Two of my kids were born there.
Was it at 1960 and 59? Seems I remember that.
MisterShipWreck
91_Aggie said:

MisterShipWreck said:

ro828 said:

Man. I spent so much time in Windsor Park Mall growing up (in San Antonio) . Aladdin's Castle, the movie theater, Waldenbooks, KayBee Toy Store, B Dalton Bookseller, the various music stores (cassettes), Montgomery Wards, Food Court, the place that sold shurikens and knives, etc.

I think the Army bought it or part of it.
I grew up in Louisiana, But the local mall in Houma, Louisiana, had all of those exact same places except for Montgomery Wards.

atm86
AG
BMo said:

atm86 said:

scd88 said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

That was/is Deerbrook Mall. Kingwood Mall was across 59 from Kingwood on Kingwood Drive. I believe it was Columbia Health bought the mall and converted it.
BMo
atm86 said:

BMo said:

atm86 said:

scd88 said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

That was/is Deerbrook Mall. Kingwood Mall was across 59 from Kingwood on Kingwood Drive. I believe it was Columbia Health bought the mall and converted it.
Thanks, had forgotten about this mall.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.