Neighborhood recommendations for family with young children

3,293 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tanya 93
Aphex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello all - my spouse and I are moving to College Station-Bryan in the Fall (assuming the world hasn't ended), and are wondering about neighborhoods to buy into. We have two very small children and our first priority is being near other families and near good/great public schools.

A few details:

1. Our budget is up to 400k, although we would be happy to spend less than that
2. Probably want a 3/2 or 4/2+
3. We visited Castlegate and my spouse hated it...I think something with a bit more lot size and mature trees would make it feel like less of a "soul-sucking suburban nightmare" (their words). We realize a lot of College Station is similar, but Castlegate seemed particularly cookie-cutter to them.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
AgsWin2011
AG
If you're looking for a realtor who can help your needs during the search, reach out to my wife. Her personal email is below. I can't remember her work email.

alistew9@gmail.com
Wicked Good Ag
I would look into the Emerald Forest area. It should be having a lot of turnover soon in terms of age of residents. Mature trees and large lots.
Only drawback I don't think it is close to any school in terms of walking/biking later on down the road but we have loved the area and have been keeping our eye on properties that pop of for a move ourselves
nthomas99
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

I would look into the Emerald Forest area. It should be having a lot of turnover soon in terms of age of residents. Mature trees and large lots.
Only drawback I don't think it is close to any school in terms of walking/biking later on down the road but we have loved the area and have been keeping our eye on properties that pop of for a move ourselves

Emerald forest is a great area. When we were searching (in the same price range), most of the homes on the market in there were well priced but in need of significant renovation. Not bad, just know what you're getting into. Other areas we looked in included Duck Haven (and similar places out on Wellborn Road). We ended up in a nice 4/3 in your price range out in Peach Crossing, a small neighborhood, outside the city limits but in College Station ISD. We're on an acre, overlooking pastureland, and our three kids love it. Another choice more in town close to Emerald forest that's less suburban hell is Woodcreek, Foxfire and surrounding areas.

One dynamic you'll discover in College Station is the new high school (College Station High) / old high school (A&M Consolidated) divide. You'll pay a premium to be zoned for the former, but the zoning changes every couple of years, so I wouldn't recommend paying it with young children (we didn't).
AggieAces06
AG
We used to live in South Hampton and loved it. It's on the South end of town. Small neighborhood of 60 houses. Good number of kids. Most lots are about 1/3 acre and not cookie cutter. We only moved because we stumbled upon some acreage that was too good to pass up.
Oogway
Some other areas to put on your radar. Some of these are 'pocket' subdivisions, meaning they may or may not have an HOA, but are not the 600+ lots and burbs atmosphere of the larger ones. Also, some of these may not be in your budget, depends on timing and availability:
Southwood Forest-secluded but in the middle of everything.
Foxfire-harder to find a home for sale, but very natural feel and super friendly.
Woodcreek
Duck Haven as mentioned
Peach Crossing is also good.
Edelweiss has small lots, but their park access is great and convenient if you want to be near all of the schools from elementary to hs.
They sold their home some time ago, but a friend of mine owned at River Run, and they liked it out there. I have no idea what those places go for these days.
Mission Ranch AG
AG
Take a look at Mission Ranch. It is a new subdivision with a new elementary school built next door to the subdivision. There are a lot of young families with young children. This subdivision is located off of Holleman, two miles south of Harvey Mitchell, and three miles from campus.
BrazosWifi
Howdy,

Many folks are recommending College Station. I live in the Bryan school district.
We had our kids at the Sam Houston Elementary School and it is awesome. The teachers and staff are great, so are the parents.

Fortunately, there are a number of areas that are zoned for that area.
Copperfield subdivision is one and so is much of the rural NE Brazos County area.

If you are considering rural life and need good internet, make sure you consult our fiber and wireless maps.
Fiber: http://gis.brazosfiber.com/public_data/map.php
Wireless: http://brazoswifi.com/wireless-internet/wireless-coverage-area/

With the COVID-19 challenges, I haven't been checking TexAgs much because we are focused on helping our customers.

If you have questions, please reach out via e-mail.

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

We will actually be putting our 4/2 plus game room house up for sale but not for another year or so and it'll be priced slightly above $400k we are hoping. We are in Emerald Forest (the newer section) and love it. Located very centrally and yes we have plenty of kids in the area. I know a year from now doesn't quite fit the OPs timeline but ya, Emerald Forest is great.
Aphex
Thanks all this is great information.
Wicked Good Ag
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

We will actually be putting our 4/2 plus game room house up for sale but not for another year or so and it'll be priced slightly above $400k we are hoping. We are in Emerald Forest (the newer section) and love it. Located very centrally and yes we have plenty of kids in the area. I know a year from now doesn't quite fit the OPs timeline but ya, Emerald Forest is great.
Is this the one that was renting but wanted some rooms on gamedays for the landlord by chance??

we almost did a deal like that that someone had (dont know if it was you) and would think about it for the future
halibut sinclair
Check out Austin's Estates or Riverstone (off 1179) in Bryan.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Nope not me
Tanya 93
We loved Copperfield before we left Texas
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.