Y'all quit stealing street signs

3,547 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UmustBKidding
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://wtaw.com/2019/06/25/stolen-traffic-and-street-signs-in-college-station/

Quote:

In 2018, 141 traffic and street signs went missing in College Station, costing the city $28,000.

Papa Bear was stolen six times, Mama Bear was stolen five times, and tied at four times stolen was Baby Bear, Goldilocks, and Airborne.
CS78
Dam kids!
redd38
AG
Those aren't even good signs
979ag
AG
I know for a fact "Tang Cake" was stolen at least 5 times lol. I think CoCS just doesn't want people to know there is a street called "Tang Cake."
Max06
AG
"Tickle Tongue" was stolen so many times that Brazos Co. changed the street name
trouble
AG
I might have owned that one at one time.

I didn't take it but it might have been left in my garage.
Turf96
Nobody has an issue with street signs costing nearly $200 a sign? Think some of us may be in wrong business.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Well, first I was going to steal the "Papa Bear" street sign, but I found that sign to be too high to reach.

Then, I was going to steal the "Mama Bear" sign, but there was too much traffic.

But, the "Baby Bear" street sign was just right......
UmustBKidding
Especially when tamper proof sign hardware cost less than $5 and basically would prevent stealing the sign without cutting the pole off.
Am sure the $200 is some BS number based on their highly efficient public works department.
Oogway
Theft is wrong.
taxpreparer
AG
Oogway said:

Theft is wrong.
And taxation is ...
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
grumpyoldman
Quote:

Especially when tamper proof sign hardware cost less than $5 and basically would prevent stealing the sign without cutting the pole off. -UmustBKidding

From the article:
Quote:

The city's Traffic Operations Division uses the latest in tamper-proof hardware to secure our signs, but resourceful thieves always seem to find a way to steal them anyway, sometimes taking the entire sign post assembly with cutting torches or smooth-cut power saws.
quirkyaggie
AG
I remember the Pantera street sign being stolen so many times that it was gone more often then it was there. Now it's 30 ft high on the pole lashed with metal straps. That'll learn ya.

Downside is, all the street signs are at the same level then there's Pantera......
UmustBKidding
The one I have used the heads break off when you tighten them. So they have to be cut. Most of the poles are so thin they bend is a stiff breeze so don't doubt they are sometimes cut. But far bigger chance they caught in the act of they do. As I said the 200 is likely voodoo but order multiple for popular names, upgrade their poles, heck I have even bought small cellular trackers that will send their location once a day for over a year for $80.
You can't stop all vandalism, but cspd won't even come out to take a report about burglary so won't cry much about the occasionally missing street label.
techno-ag
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Especially when tamper proof sign hardware cost less than $5 and basically would prevent stealing the sign without cutting the pole off.
Am sure the $200 is some BS number based on their highly efficient public works department.
$200 doesn't sound bad when you consider it's a custom metal sign that should last decades in the sun and elements ... If nobody steals it.
UmustBKidding
Except I had a custom one made by a company that does them for cities for my FIL's farm and it was less than $30 including the pole and mounting hardware.
This article says even less but the labor is what costs.
https://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/nov/13/city-hard-pressed-stop-sign-thefts/
I get it don't steal them. Maybe they would put a label on them saying they would sell you your very own for $15 or get caught stealing this one and go to jail and pay a multi-hundred dollar fine. But the COCS public communications department could probably drive the cost of the label to more than the sign costs.
College Station inefficiencies run deep and they could replace every street sign daily for less than the pilfer away. I worry far more over things like $5M+ spent to buy and implement Cayenta's dispatch system at utilities and totally fail and then have to spend even more to sustain the legacy system.
If COCS was a business they would be out of business. But they are not a business they have a knob to turn to facilitate unwise spending, its called the tax rate. They also have their back channel to wispier in the the appraisal districts ear about they really think property in CS is worth more this year.
We need to be more worried about issues like did the mayor's travel and fuel expenses get reimbursed by the tax payers for his frequent travel to Austin to lobby how bad it would be if city tax rates would be further limited.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.