Is there any place in this town that can STARCH jeans???

10,238 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tailgate88
TheOC16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, any place around here will starch your jeans. But I'm talking about a place with XTRA HEAVY starch. I want them to stand up, I want to burn 100 calories putting them on, I want to cut my hand opening up the pockets.

Any place like that around here?? I've tried four places so far, but haven't found one who's "heavy" cuts it...
rhoswen
AG
I always took mine to the place on the east corner if texas & holleman, but I have no idea if they're even still open.
hoodlum98
AG
The last time I took my jeans to Hallmark Cleaners on Rock Prairie they were just as you are describing them.
91_Aggie
AG
Just go to Hurricane harry's and ask the guys with the biggest belt buckles where they get their's starched.
TheOC16
AG
hoodlum98 said:

The last time I took my jeans to Hallmark Cleaners on Rock Prairie they were just as you are describing them.
Looks like I may have to make the drive out there to give it a try.
rich1
AG
JOT 59 on Holloman
DimeBox17
AG
Last time I took my jeans to briarcrest cleaners, I broke a sweat trying to get into them. Their heavy is heavy enough for me.
TxSquarebody
rhoswen said:

I always took mine to the place on the east corner if texas & holleman, but I have no idea if they're even still open.

Jot59...always did the best starch
Floor it until you see God
Gibbs Slap
AG
+1 Jot59
TheOC16
AG
I just dropped off a pair each at Jot 59 and Briarcrest. So we shall see by this weekend...
TRIPLE 7
AG
Briarcrest Cleaners....Several locations!

After starch buildup, it takes 10 minutes to unstick them & pull them on!
CS78
I can smell the leather scented truck air freshener from here.
cajunken
Another +1 for Briarcrest. I've always had my dress shirts processed with heavy starch until we moved to BCS. I used Briarcrest because they were close to my office (Blinn). The first time I got my shirts back, I could have sliced roast beef with the sleeves. I ask for medium starch now.
Bunk Moreland
Briarcrest Cleaners heavy starch. Cmon man. Everyone knows this
hoodlum98
AG
I use to take my jeans to Jot 59 then all of a sudden they quit starching them as heavy, not sure why. So that's when I went to Hallmark and they do a good job.
Turf96
Also a little small place called Quality Cleaners off of BriarCrest over by the Traget and Cracker Barrel. Little small brick building next to a small gas station on corner or wildflower and briarcrest. Do a great job and lots of country folk go there for a reason. They also donate to the local 4-H and FFA activities. Owned by a lady and her mom often runs the counter. I stopped heavy starch as I'm getting to old for the fight. They do good work and help local kids so I like them a lot. Good luck.
mgreen
Pride Cleaners.
8RB8
Change of pace here, but for those of you who starch your jeans...particularly as heavy as OP desires, what is the reasoning for wanting them that way? Genuinely curious, certainly not trying to criticize. I throw my jeans in the laundry machine after a few wears and am very satisfied with that.
CactusThomas
AG
For 90% of us it's the look. If you work in a rural or blue collar work environment it is very common. To us, regular Jeans look sloppy and too casual.

The practical side of it is that dirt slides right off. In rodeo where contestants wear high dollar jeans, starch is important. I believe this is where the fashion aspect comes from.

In the past guys doing hot work were required to wear starchy clothes. Especially welders. Let's the slag run off instead of smolder through. Now days FRC is required.
TheOC16
AG
Update (For anyone interested):

Took one pair to Jot 59 and one pair to Briarcrest (since those were the two most recommended). The jeans are identical (Wrangler Retro). Here is the result - Briarcrest on the left, Jot 59 on the right:

I am very pleased with Briarcrest. That's the best starch I've found in College Station - by far - in trying 6 dry cleaners in the past two months.

Just dropped off a big load with them this morning, hopefully they are consistent!

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations. I probably would have never tried them (never go to that part of town) if it weren't for you guys.
Tailgate88
AG
CactusThomas said:

For 90% of us it's the look. If you work in a rural or blue collar work environment it is very common. To us, regular Jeans look sloppy and too casual.

The practical side of it is that dirt slides right off. In rodeo where contestants wear high dollar jeans, starch is important. I believe this is where the fashion aspect comes from.

In the past guys doing hot work were required to wear starchy clothes. Especially welders. Let's the slag run off instead of smolder through. Now days FRC is required.

I've always wondeeed about this too. Ya learn something every day.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.