Fritella

4,785 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I was driving down Texas Ave and passed this restaurant and realized I seldom hear anything about it. I've never been, is it good? I cook quite a few Italian dishes at home so is it worth a visit?

*Frittella; left out a 't'
rsa
AG
We've always enjoyed it. It's not gourmet cooking, but the dishes are nicely done and quite tasty.
nashvilleaggie11
Blah.
BCStalk
It sits right between Fazolis and Olive Garden. Not bad but also not great in my opinion. We still stop in every so often.
Oogway
Thanks! Maybe we'll give it a try.
TimsParents
S
Have lived in Italy and the food is genuine. Like many small tavola Cauldas on Sicily
Gig'Em & God Bless
Tailgate88
AG
A hidden gem. Comparing it to a chain is insulting. I wish they had wait service but the food is authentic and delicious.
TimsParents
S
The only other place in town we find as genuine Italian is Amico Nave. Except when jalapeos are added. Never heard of such while in Italy. Olive Garden and Paulo's are good but don't compare to food in Italy
Gig'Em & God Bless
Nutmegger
AG
Definitely better than a chain, but not my favorite. Could use better bread for their meatball sub, but its decent and very convenient with the drive-thru during lunch hour.
techno-ag
AG
Never get over there since it's not on the bypass.

/Aggieland Board
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Their red sauce is very sweet, like lots of sugar added, if I remember correctly. Haven't been there in a year or so.
Ratsa
Frittella is my favorite Italian food in BCS. It is different, though. You order at a counter, and they bring the food out to you. Also, the portions are smaller than at most restaurants in the U.S. If I'm hungry, I'll typically order a salad and a main dish. But to me, what sets is apart, is that everything they serve tastes like it is made from scratch. Their alfredo sauce tastes like it is just made from cream, butter, and parmesan, whereas most other Italian restaurants I've tried in BCS taste like it is made by adding milk to some kind of mysterious powder.
ratfacemcdougal
It has obviously been awhile, but Frittella was one of Marvin Zindler's favorite places.
Oogway
Was that the reporter that investigated the Chicken Ranch? What is it with this town and chickens?
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Was that the reporter that investigated the Chicken Ranch? What is it with this town and chickens?
The Chicken Ranch was in La Grange.
halibut sinclair
Love the pizza, lasagna, eggplant parmesan, baked ziti, and much more. The owners of Frittella operated Pino's Restaurant in Houston for many years before moving here:

https://frittellacafe.com/history/
FlyRod
Its been the subject of some highly entertaining threads in the past.
Oogway
Maybe not a direct link, but I wasn't playing six degrees of separation here. Let's face it, there is a fascination with fowl foods in the form of fingers et al.
Kitten With A Whip
Definitely a hidden gem and my favorite Italian restaurant in town. The sauce isn't "sweet", but it isn't overloaded with too many heavy spices and salt like a lot of other places. Very good prices, as well!
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Let's face it, there is a fascination with fowl foods in the form of fingers et al.
This is true, but not sure how this relates to Fritella ... other than a left field association with Marvin Zindler.
Oogway
It doesn't. It was a topical digression related to Marvin Zindler liking Frittella and one of the things (I think) he was known for and you see, if you'd been married to me for thirty years you would've either 1. Been able to follow the conversation cause you're used to this by now or 2. Feigned a solemn, 'is that so?' So be very happy you're not!

Anyway, I think we will try Frittella now that I know more about it.
AgsWin2011
AG
Haven't had it in a few years but don't remember it being bad.

My favorite Italian place in BCS is Amico Nave hands down.
viejo
Best Italian food in town......sadly, the bar isn't too high. Wholly unimpressed with the Italian choices here.
skeetboy3
AG
I enjoy their lasagna and their fritellas (kind of like a fried calzone). Lasagna is different than most so i suspect you will either love it or hate itI'm not a food guy so not sure but it seems like it has more of a cream rather than riocatta.
Picadillo
Authentic. my favorite Italian restaurant in B/CS. Hope they don't change a thing. Can't go wrong ordering what the restaurant is named after. Get the classic.
Oogway
What I really would like is veal or steak spiedini because I'm too lazy to make it myself. Lasagna, homemade meatballs, red sauce, sausage & mushroom, Alfredo; all of those are staples in our home but a good spiedini with pasta is pretty tasty. Still, we plan on giving them a try now that we've heard what it's about.
AggieBarstool
BCStalk said:

It sits right between Fazolis and Olive Garden. Not bad but also not great in my opinion. We still stop in every so often.
Negative. How anyone calls this "authentic" or a "hidden gem" is beyond me. Maybe we didn't go to the same restaurant? /s

I'd rather eat at Fazoli's.

Last time my wife and I went (six months ago or so), the calzone we ate had a definite overcooked, frozen, "hot pocket" quality to it. The marinara sauce they served was straight-up Prego off-brand that comes in the gallon jar. The "salad" was a bunch of wilted greens with watered down dressing on the side. Even the soda tasted off.

I will say, though, they have done wonders with the decor. You can hardly tell it used to be a Taco Bell.

For what we paid for dinner that night, we would have much rather made something better at home or shelled out a little more $$$ at some place like Amico Nave.
Ratsa
AggieBarstool said:

BCStalk said:

Negative. How anyone calls this "authentic" or a "hidden gem" is beyond me. Maybe we didn't go to the same restaurant? /s

I'd rather eat at Fazoli's.

Last time my wife and I went (six months ago or so), the calzone we ate had a definite overcooked, frozen, "hot pocket" quality to it. The marinara sauce they served was straight-up Prego off-brand that comes in the gallon jar. The "salad" was a bunch of wilted greens with watered down dressing on the side. Even the soda tasted off.

I will say, though, they have done wonders with the decor. You can hardly tell it used to be a Taco Bell.

For what we paid for dinner that night, we would have much rather made something better at home or shelled out a little more $$$ at some place like Amico Nave.

Maybe we're talking about different places, because Frittella Italian Cafe doesn't even serve calzones.
new straw
I really need to try this place. I don't really understand the love for amico nave. It's overpriced and not great food. I hope this is a decent Italian place. I haven't found one yet in bcs.
halibut sinclair
Quote:

A "Frittella" is a true Italian treat that comes from our hometown of Brindisi in Italy. It is the equivalent of a Calzone (a folded over baked pizza) but a "Frittella" is fried in the finest olive oil instead of baking it.

I've had the frittella, and they are excellent. Comparing it to a hot pocket is an insult.

Cracks me up that this place has been in business for 15 years and some of you are just now asking about it. Must be south CS'ers.
Oogway
I can't speak for anyone else, but as the OP, I am a midtowner if there is such a thing. However, we tend to do most of our eating out in the summer and I admit to mostly avoiding anywhere near campus or even a number of the establishments in the Texas and University vicinity especially during the school year. So, yeah, some places we haven't tried but we haven't exactly been looking all that hard either. We also have some favorites so those sometimes go to the front of the line (Cafe Eccell, Taz, Shiraz, Koppe Bridge, Cafe Capri, *Remnants, etc) . We still haven't made it to some of the bbq places and some of the Tex Mex places and we have lived here a long time. Just not really that big a deal for us but with A&M out, I figured maybe I'd ask cause y'all know stuff.

*We have only been once to Remnants since they left Checkers station though-that location was so convenient for us. We hope to go back again soon now that they have hopefully got settled again.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Oogway said:

Owner relocated his restaurant to Bryan and Marvin Zinder was a friend. Zindler came to Bryan for the grand opening.

Side note. Location was formally a Taco Bell.

halibut sinclair
pep said:

Side note. Location was formally a Taco Bell.
A formal Taco Bell? Classy!
happyinBCS
Yes it was a Taco Bell with a reverse drive thru ...................
FlyRod
If you are carb-phobic, its best avoided...like Caffe Capri its basically a pasta house more than an "Italian restaurant." That said, I'd rate it higher than Caffe Capri food quality wise. Mostly a lunch place for me...the eggplant parm and chicken dishes are good. Like Caffe Capri, the wine list is terrible.

And the old guy who runs it is a hoot.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.