Koppe Bridge

15,179 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by I Sold DeSantis Lifts
tmaggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gave it a second try this weekend and don't understand why or how it's always crowded. Burgers just ok and wanted to order the catfish but found out it's not catfish. Manager stated they switched to basa fish but still call it catfish! Ordered the CFS which was so greasy it was not edible. The crust fell off and left a over cooked dark brown piece of leather. We won't make that mistake again.
Red Krow
We love Koppe Bridge! We go to the Welborn location. Great food and atmosphere; we always eat out on the back patio. The kids have space to run around a bit after the meal.

A whole bunch of restaurants serve Basa or Swai instead of catfish now. It costs nearly half as much. The price of catfish is very expensive. The average customer likes the knock off fish better because it doesn't have the catfish/muddy taste.
Jetty
AG
The fries at Koppe bridge are horrible. They are never crispy. Burgers are ok.
Eliminatus
AG
Koppe Bridge
rhoswen
AG
I've always wondered this myself. It's not terrible but it's not fantastic enough to drive across town for.
tmaggies
AG
Red Krow said:

We love Koppe Bridge! We go to the Welborn location. Great food and atmosphere; we always eat out on the back patio. The kids have space to run around a bit after the meal.

A whole bunch of restaurants serve Basa or Swai instead of catfish now. It costs nearly half as much. The price of catfish is very expensive. The average customer likes the knock off fish better because it doesn't have the catfish/muddy taste.

Does the average consumer know how that fish is raised let alone not support American raised fish. The price is not that much higher. Restaurants are misleading customers calling it catfish and I still prefer catfish over the tasteless Vietnam fish.
Average Joe
AG
tmaggies said:

Red Krow said:

Does the average consumer know how that fish is raised let alone not support American raised fish. The price is not that much higher. Restaurants are misleading customers calling it catfish and I still prefer catfish over the tasteless Vietnam fish.

Basa is a species of catfish. So calling it catfish would be accurate.
tmaggies
AG
Accurate Labeling of Catfish Is the Law

May 29, 2014 -- As seafood imports grow, mislabeling of seafood products in restaurants is becoming common. Studies by media and consumer organizations find that as much as 25 to 50 percent of seafood is mislabeled.

Accurate labeling of catfish and catfish-like species is required by law. The Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act defines "catfish" for marketing purposes as members of the taxonomic family ictaluridae, commonly known as channel catfish. Asian fish such as basa, tra, swai and pangasius, on the other hand, are members of the taxonomic family pangasiidae. It is illegal to label them as "catfish" under federal law.
drivinwest
AG
That's funny because I've always enjoyed their fries. Ate there last week with my son and they were crispy and fresh. I did go at 5 though so maybe being early in the evening made a difference. Anyway, I'm a fan.
Satellite of Love
Red Krow said:

That is pretty sheety to use one fish in the place of another and pass it off as catfish. That is called fraud. They need to be honest about serving Asian trash fish and stop trying to pass it off as the real thing.
Cancelled
AG
Meh. Their burgers are pretty decent.
texasaggie2015
AG
Best burgers in town. At the Wellborn location at least.
Aggie
AG
Not bad but not Best in town.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Aggie said:

Not bad but not Best in town.

They are ordinary. Not bad...not great imo. For me personally they dont stand out at all.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Those kind of fries are a love/hate thing: some people love them and some don't.

I don't, but the rest of my family does. So, I get something that comes with fries and the wife doesn't. I then order some Texas Toothpicks and I'll eat those and give the fries to the wife.
Cancelled
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Grub says hello
Oogway
Satellite of Love said:

Red Krow said:

That is pretty sheety to use one fish in the place of another and pass it off as catfish. That is called fraud. They need to be honest about serving Asian trash fish and stop trying to pass it off as the real thing.
"What's in a name? That which we call a catfish by any other name would smell as sweet" ...oh, wait.
musicforall
Went to a fish place that offered "gulf shrimp". My friend asked "gulf"? and was told yes, Gulf of Taiwan. Ha, "bait" and switch at its finest.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eatingwell/how-to-buy-the-right-shrimp_b_898454.html
Crusader
Yeah, this business really gets me. I called in a "to go" order and they charged me extra for the styrofoam box. Granted, these boxes do cost them a few cents extra, but when you consider that we didn't tie up nor mess up a table that would have to be bussed later, didn't use the plastic utensils or paper napkins nor any condiments, then they come out way ahead when we do a take-out an order.

On other occasions, we have ordered their salad (while we dine in there). There is no other restaurant in town that I am award of that charges for a little extra salad dressing. In this case, it's a bit expensive for a little plastic container with maybe an ounce or two in content. This should be included with the standard meal price.

Understand, I don't mind paying for what I get with a meal, but the principle of it does matter. As for the food, its pretty good, but not good enough for me to go back there. There are too many better places to eat in the area.

AggiePirate
AG
tmaggies said:

Gave it a second try this weekend and don't understand why or how it's always crowded. Burgers just ok and wanted to order the catfish but found out it's not catfish. Manager stated they switched to basa fish but still call it catfish! Ordered the CFS which was so greasy it was not edible. The crust fell off and left a over cooked dark brown piece of leather. We won't make that mistake again.
Had the same CFS experience a year go. Good to see they are at least consistent.
BrandoC
AG
Its probably best for you and everyone else for you to never go to Koppe Bridge again.
tmaggies
AG
BrandoC said:

Its probably best for you and everyone else for you to never go to Koppe Bridge again.

You the owner? If so thought I would add I wanted to order your appetizer mushrooms also till I was told they were Sysco prebreaded.
MiMi
S
Quote:

There is no other restaurant in town that I am award of that charges for a little extra salad dressing. In this case, it's a bit expensive for a little plastic container with maybe an ounce or two in content. This should be included with the standard meal price.
Ate at Smitty K's last week. My daughter asked for additional ranch dressing for her house salad. Was charged $0.50.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Oh noes, a difference of opinion over dining establishments! I simply cannot abide that someone likes/doesn't like a place I don't like/like.

The only thing that makes this thread better is the moral outrage over two quarters worth of ranch.
CS78
I'll pile on. No to-go orders on game days! I can understand if it's 45 minutes post game and you're slammed but three to four hours post and the crowds have thinned?
Frio Cielo
marginally good food. CFS now has been "tenderized" to the point of being micro-thin and the batter hanging on the thin meat an inch or two off on each side to make it look larger. If you like fried flour that taste like CFS, it is very good.

We go there at times, but no the best in town.

Look Out Below
AG
Two thumbs up for Koppe Bridge burgers and fries.
Cancelled
AG
tmaggies said:

BrandoC said:

You the owner? If so thought I would add I wanted to order your appetizer mushrooms also till I was told they were Sysco prebreaded.

I'd say 99% of the food in CS are Sysco prebreaded appetizers, tilapia/basa and fake ass gravy. On that note, can people not make real gravy anymore (especially a place that pretends to be authentic)?
91_Aggie
AG
Went to a burger joint and then proceeded to try either catfish or CFS?!?!? This the kind of person that goes to a steakhouse, then orders fish and then complains that it is not as good as at a seafood place.
mgreen
91_Aggie said:

Went to a burger joint and then proceeded to try either catfish or CFS?!?!? This the kind of person that goes to a steakhouse, then orders fish and then complains that it is not as good as at a seafood place.
Beat me to it. I have a friend who will go to an Italian restaurant and order a steak and expect it to be Ruth's Chris quality. They will then go to a steakhouse and order seafood and complain. I can not convince them to stick with what a restaurant specializes in. I have been to Koppe Bridge 100 times and get what they are known for, their burgers. No issues except the speed.
Aggie
AG
CS78 said:

I'll pile on. No to-go orders on game days! I can understand if it's 45 minutes post game and you're slammed but three to four hours post and the crowds have thinned?

Koppe bridge has lost a few to go orders from me because they require you to pay over phone.
I do not use credit cards over phone and never will.
Only restaurant in town I can think of that does this. I'm sure you get burned every now and then from people not picking up orders.. But again only place in town that I know of that does this.
Eliminatus
AG
queso1 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Grub says hello
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....*gasp*....HAHAHAHAHAHA
phatpat21
Two more thumbs up for Koppe Bridge. My family and I love it. Burgers are always good and i love the fries
Leslie
I have loved Koppe Bridge for many years but lately....it just isn't the same. Though, I have NEVER understood the tip jar at the counter. What type of service are they really providing to result in a tip. I walk up to order, I pay, I come pick my food up when name is called, and at end of meal I dispose of trash & put my basket away. Almost comes off as "greedy" requesting a tip when no service is really provided. I also hate paying an extra 75 cents for a baby container of ranch. A few weeks ago I called in a to-go order as I was on the way to restaurant. Truly in a hurry! After 5 minutes of explaining that I was driving & couldn't pull my phone out & detailing my exact location, she finally agreed to let me just pay once I got there. Jeepers.......
KidDoc
AG
I have only gone a few times since moving here a bit over 2 years ago and I have not been impressed at all. There are nearly 10 other places I would prefer to visit for similar food in town.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.