A/C service

9,793 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
JR Ewing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just curious if anyone has tried EZs new one time efficiency service. Did it work? Is it a tune up on your system or just super freon? Tia...
jskin261
Super lube.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Howdy!
Thought I would comment real quick and explain a little about EcoZapp Efficiency.

Our AC Efficiency service is able to make the refrigerant, already inside your system, much more efficient at absorbing and repelling heat. We're not adding more refrigerant, a lube, or any kind of self sealing agent into your system.

We can enable a brand new air conditioning system to work better, more efficient, and blow colder air.

We can help enable a 15+ year-old air conditioning system to work better, more efficient, and blow colder air than a brand new system.

On average we are able to enable a system to blow about 8-12F colder air.

Results will vary system to system obviously, however every system we've installed has blown colder air , and has experienced less run time than before.

We understand we're going to have a few skeptical critics. We'll be making more of an effort to post more and more of our installs' before and after pictures online with plentiful documentation .

Thanks!
halibut sinclair
I've been reading about this, since your explanation is kind of vague. As I understand it, this is an additive to the refrigerant system. What does your research show regarding less runtime and removing humidity from the home? Will this additive void the warranty of a newer system?
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
The studies we have show that when a unit is running with the additive, it requires slightly less energy to run the system. Also due to the colder air, the system doesn't need to run as long.

A hygrometer will show it helps take humidity out of the air. The more hot and humid the climate, the better results this gives.

This is an additive which has been used for over 10 years now, in 35+ countries mainly in the automotive industry. This makes our trucks blow MUCH colder air and improves our MPG. There is a dealership in town which can service your vehicle.

It is manufactured specifically for this intended use, and therefore a company cannot void a warranty because of so. Plus we're just dealing with the refrigerant, nothing mechanical.

Every follow-up with customers have been positive- less run time, colder air, and savings on the electric bill. These are the best studies, due to every AC system having different variables from the next.
The Original AG 76
AG
Does this additive have a name ?
halibut sinclair
It's called Arctic Blast.
OnlyANobody
I'm finding Arctic Freeze and QwickBoost products online. I'm sorry to be a cynic, but I have to wonder why a pest control, rather than A/C maintenance/repair company is peddling it.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
EcoZapp Efficiency is an entirely separate business than EcoZapp Pest Control.

EcoZapp Efficiency will specialize in innovative methods to increase the efficiency of buildings. Arctic Freeze is an automotive product ( mainly r-134a) that is used to add some refrigerant which may have been a little low. So Arctic Freeze is in no way related to Arctic Blast. We're distributors of the product and obviously the name of the two is a bit confusing.

Also some air conditioning companies might just not like us or the product... Arctic Blast would cannibalize some amount of sells, repairs, maintenance, and some replacements. Our service is far less expensive than replacing a system that doesn't blow cold enough air to keep up the demand.

EcoZapp Efficiency is a start-up business, where I get to start using my Environmental Design degree from A&M and all of those classes studying how to make buildings greener and reduce carbon footprints. Btw we're hiring soon in the Cypress, Austin, B/CS, and Waco areas.

https://www.facebook.com/EcoZapphome/

JP76
What is typical install cost for a 4 ton hvac?
halibut sinclair
I would really like an experienced HVAC technician to weigh in on this.
jskin261
We sold a product called Zerol Ice by Nu-Calgon at one of the a/c distribution centers here in town. Short answer is the product did reduce friction inside the compressor and you did see a VERY small change in amp draw. I do not know of any manufactures that state "additives will not void warranty" but they do not test the oil in failed compressors either.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
For one residential unit, right now is $575 ( plus tax). As long as the refrigerant does not get removed it should last the life of the unit. So far this product has been in systems for 10 years with great results. We'll be financing the install cost out as much as we can to help pay for itself faster. This includes installation from a licensed HVAC tech, and quick inspection. If something is not working well enough we will not install until the system is repaired. Most home efficiency products can take years to produce an ROI this one does not.

There has been a variety of products used to make AC systems more efficient over the years. We are not selling a product to help with oil fouling or lubrication we simply aren't putting enough of anything in to make that happen. Those videos make me cringe a little on how they're installed and the volume of product used- I don't know if their right or wrong, I just know our process is very simple.

nought
AG
Wow, just wait until all the car manufacturers hear about this product since it can give their cars higher MPG! It is so tough for them to meet the CAFE standards -- they'll be putting it in every car in no time to squeeze ever last bit of efficiency out of their engines.

Wait -- it has been around for 10 years already but they aren't using it? How shortsighted of them.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers

We live in a place known as Research Valley with a leading research University down the street ( they don't just play football). We are fully aware some people will resist change and innovations, these things take time (many people still don't see the benefit on things like foam insulation, solar etc...) But please don't bash something or a product you bearly know the name of. Especially a local, Aggie owned start-up business who's owners often put 80-100 hours weeks into- That we are 100% OK with biting back on.

"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."

This quote is most often attributed to Charles Duell, Commissioner of the U.S. Patent Office in 1899.

SumAggie
being "skeptical" is not trolling.... At $575 we have a right to be a bit skeptical I think?
jskin261
Just curious is EcoZapp Efficiency required to have a TACLA or TACLB license to introduce this product into the closed refrigerant loop? You would need an EPA 608 certification I would think at minimum. I understand a business has to make money but $575 for this is a bit much and I have worked in the HVAC distribution industry for 15+ so I am well aware of the installed price equipment & parts.

But hey if you find the people willing to pay that's your business.

InMyOpinion
EcoZapp said:

On average we are able to enable a system to blow about 8-12F colder air.

Results will vary system to system obviously, however every system we've installed has blown colder air , and has experienced less run time than before.

Can this service create a condition where the AC doesn't run enough to properly condition the air (remove moisture). If the AC system is PROPERLY setup, blowing colder air will have negative consequences outside of those extremely hot summer months. I can see humidity levels increase during March-April (some of may) and then again late Sept and October simply because the unit doesn't run as much as it should which will ultimately cancel out the added cooling. Again this is based on the assumption the current unit is properly setup.

Disclaimer - I am no HVAC expert - I just know that controlling humidity levels plays a much larger role on cooling your house and can have other negative impacts if levels get to high.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
For the time being, we use HVAC contractors for the installs, similar to how home improvement stores sub out their installs. This way we always have someone very qualified to inspect a system accurately. We will be able to finance the initial cost out more and more as we grow. The ROI is obviously greater the higher your demand for cooling is. But when we come across someone paying $200 a month for cooling, it pays for itself fast! Especially if you have a 15 year-old system that just can't keep up, $575 is much less expensive than a new system- we can help alot of these people. But the comfort and difference it makes, help make the money not the only factor.

The humidity in the air drops with the product, we placed hygrometers all over our office and the humidity level dropped more than usual with the air on. But when someone opens the door it doesn't matter much anyway... If we really crank it down low, our office will feel like an ice skating rink.

It makes the system run less, but your AC system will still turn on and operate as before, it's just more efficient. If someone keeps their thermostat on 75 vs 70 for example, I doubt there would ever be much of a humidity concern, and the unit would run much less during the summer months.

Most customers usually raise their thermostat a few degrees above their normal comfort level the first night after an install. You feel the difference right away.

Drewmeister
AG
You're not getting it. It's not about humidity while it's running, but the total humidity maintained in the dwelling, and the A/C unit running less will lead to more humidity.

Sure, the humidity drops when the cold air is blowing (and perhaps even a bit faster when the air is colder), but because it's running for less time, less total dehumidification is done.

This won't be an issue in the hottest months when it's running 45+ minutes out of every hour, but in the moderate weather when the A/C runs less, it definitely can be. If the A/C ran 20 minutes per hour before but now runs only 10 min/hr, only half as much humidity is removed from the air. (Perhaps a bit more than half, e.g. 60%, due to better dehumidification with colder air, but definitely less overall.)

This same issue is seen with an oversized (by tonnage) A/C unit. It will cool the house very quickly but not run long enough to sufficiently reduce the humidity. I heard this is why they kept Rudder cold (at least prior to the MSC remodel), because they were having mold issues when set to a normal temperature.

I am not opining on the merits of the product itself, but to dismiss humidity concerns out of hand is not correct. Perhaps the data will show this isn't a problem in most cases, but it is something that needs to be addressed.
Gigemaggies123
idk about this stuff but ecozapp must be doing something right. Every day I drive by their office and it seems like they have a new truck
halibut sinclair
The product sounds interesting, and would be great if it works as advertised. However, the humidity concern raised by myself and others is a deal breaker for me.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Every property is different. The humidity can be checked very easily with a hygrometer that costs about $7.
Due to the fact that we're producing much colder air, it will take much more humidity out of the air than without the product.

If a system runs less (without our product) it could pose a humidity issue, if it was close to the threshold already. If a system runs less ( with our product) it will pull more humidity out of the air.

We can prove this in three ways:

1. A $7 hygrometer from Lowes
2. Seeing the increased volume of condensation. When we installed in our office, the water dripping off the pipe/roof turned into a small puddle. More condensation coming from unit = more humidity being sucked out of the air inside.
3. The feel of the air inside a house. It's not scientific nor measurable, but it feels the opposite of humid
Photoguy
If the air is 10 degrees colder, is evap. coil icing up?
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
This is why we inspect every unit and hook up the gauges to check the refrigerant level. If the refrigerant level is low or too high we will not install until it's fixed or repaired. Units which freeze up require some sort of maintenance, or perhaps they run for way too long because the unit cannot keep up with the demand.

Arctic Blast just makes the refrigerant much more efficient at doing it's job. We've attempted to get something to break/ freeze-up / not work, on numerous AC units and on our trucks as part of our due diligence, and were not successful.

InMyOpinion
I can partially understand this as a band aid for a older system on its last leg and getting another year or two out of it before replacing, but to market this to new installs I would have some serious reservations.

Are any of the big AC manuf. - Carrier, Traine, Lennox advocating this product. If it make their units that much more efficient, I would assume one of them would have jumped all over this and recommend putting this with new installs.

I would also like to know what a major AC company's response is to having this added after installation and how that relates to their warranty.

ukbb2003
I am in the A/C business. I received a letter from one of my customers a few weeks ago concerning this Arctic Blast additive. My first response to my customer was, don't you think if this stuff really worked your A/C contractor would be offering the product. I then called the people with Trane to discuss the product. The gentleman I spoke with is extremely knowledgeable concerning A/C systems. He told me this stuff has been around for at least 20 years. He and another technician with Trane took some of the product and installed it in a system. They had no notable change in the system cooling capacity or lowering of power usage. If this product will do what is advertised you would think the manufacturers of A/C systems would not be spending millions of dollars on redesigning evaporators coils, compressors, and condenser coils to meet the constant change in the requirements from the federal government for more efficient systems.

I did notice on the brochure and letter that was sent to my customer concerning this product there was not a license number from The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, or the mention of any licensed contractor being used to install the product into an A/C system. I contacted the State of Texas and was asked by them to file a complaint concerning this issue.

There is an old saying that holds true 99.9% of the time, "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is". I would recommend you avoid having this product installed in your A/C system, especially a system that is 15 years old. A system that old is close to being replaced. Why put $575.00 into something that you will be replacing in a short time.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
So, we 100% understand AC companies are not going to like this product.
There are many products which Trane have probably tested over the years. We test this product in every system we've installed, and somehow we manage to ALWAYS drop the output air temperature by at least 5F, usually 8-12F. Our number is 979.314.1162 -

Something for $575 that may make that 15-year-old system run for a few more years is: 1. good for the consumer who may not have $5,000 to spend. 2. Bad for the AC company who may of lost a $5,000 sell. ( Arctic Blast is not a substitute for maintenance work/ repair work)

Let's say there is a Church or school with 20 or so 10 to 15-year-old systems, many of which can't keep up in the warmer months, most AC companies would probably recommend replacing the ones that just can't keep up. However, if we could save them X amount of money would this not be a good solution for them?

This product would simply cannibalize an AC company's sells. There's also a chance the AC manufacturers may not just have the best interest of the consumer at heart 100% of the time, but if they don't profit from any product why would they endorse it. Elon is about to go to Mars in a few years, and yet the idea of a product to help an AC system run more efficiently is too farfetched. I read and listen to a lot of books a year, and strongly believe a manufacturer ( in any industry) may not always be interested in designs, inventions, products, that may not benefit the manufacture's business/ profit margin. You can't tell me there hasn't been probably 100's of beneficial, innovations that have been rejected by a manufacturer for a Profit reason. The industry is too massive for someone to not be able to find a better way to improve efficiency via a design, product, or innovation on a monthly basis. Hopefully we'll see a Tesla A/C system with their Heat Pump in a few years as well

Every AC unit gets less and less efficient every year. There is a tremendous amount of AC's running very inefficiently. I am 100% confident it would be unethical of us NOT to promote a product that could really help so many people, and not to mention helping our Energy / Carbon footprint issues.

We have a product ( as does many large automotive dealerships in many countries) That can enable a system to 1. Blow colder air, 2. Reduce energy and 3. Improve comfort. At A&M I learned for 4 years about how to build greener buildings, reduce carbon footprints, and ways to change the way we live and do business because our society CANNOT continue our ways for another 10 or 20 years. I also know that people resist change, living in a capitalist economy change usually means disrupting another industry to some degree.

EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
I invite anyone to read up on the light bulb industry.

Why would the light bulb industry for decades manufacture light bulbs that failed after a set amount of use, instead of engineering light bulbs which would have lasted years? To sell more light bulbs.
ukbb2003
I understand your argument, but I will ask the question again, if this product works like you claim why would the A/C manufactures spend the millions of dollars they do to redesigning their systems to meet the standards the federal government puts on them if all they had to do was insert this product into their systems to meet the standards. Sorry, I am not buying it, and I hope I have convinced others not to buy it either. By the way when I did speak with Trane about the product they indicated if they found the product in their systems they would void the warranty. While I realize a 15 year old system has no warranty, they must feel it does some harm to the system to make that statement.
jskin261
Josh you just don't see it from our view (HVAC contractor/distributor) lost sales are not a worry because the similar product Zerol Ice is sitting on the shelf in several supply houses here in town currently. If the system is running properly before you install this product that means the temperature split (coil air temp entering - air temp leaving) should normally be 18 to 24 F. Now you are saying after you add this product to a system that is operating correctly it will drop the leaving air temp by 8 to 12 F. This would put your temperature differential at 26 to 36 and this is just not possible because the surface of the coil would be below the freezing point and would ice up. Next time it is added to a system operating properly and you achieve at minimum an 8 drop in the differential without adjusting blower speed put it all on video I would love to see it. (Please calibrate both probes before the test)

EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act passed by congress in 1975. Designed to protect consumers and define warranty laws in which companies/ manufacturers must abide by. Relates to some Anti-trust laws such as tie-in agreements as well.

A company issuing a warranty is not allowed to void a warranty for a variety of reasons. Just because they may not endorse something (in which they benefit no financial gain from) does not mean they can just void the warranty. Especially if no damage was caused by a product. Again this is an additive meant to make the refrigerant more efficient.

Again we're more than happy to demonstrate the product to you. Just because someone tested a product before and did not like it, doesn't mean they have tested "this" product. Is it at all remotely possible they could be biased?

Is there a chance at all you may be biased? If you have not seen the actual product, seen the results, how can you make an accurate decision on whether it works as advertised? Again 979.314.1162 we're more than happy to demonstrate it and have an educated conversation based on it's merits/ results.

EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- jskin261

https://www.facebook.com/EcoZapphome/photos/rpp.208959669509169/221163234955479/?type=3&theater

Above is a picture of the temperature of air blowing before and a pic of the temperature after.

* we turned on this unit ofor ~20 minutes before taking a reading. Arctic Blast was inserted into the system, and in less than 10 mins we took another reading.

We'd love to demonstrate it for you, and I'll even let you hold the camera.

Zerol Ice is an oil for lubricating the compressor as I understand. Arctic Blast is consisted of micro-particles and we only use 2 oz.
Photoguy
This guy seems to have an answer to everything. After air conditioning schooling and working the field for 37 years, know much of what he says does not add up. Let's see some independent research.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers

We'll film an install next week, and post it on here and Facebook , if anyone wants to hold the camera please call our office and we'll line up a time and place. We haven't done so yet because we were waiting on warmer weather.

Thanks and Gig'em !
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.