Pappy Van Winkle in College Station?

9,904 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by trouble
VegasT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone able to find PVW in College Station at any of the local liquor stores?

I read a Bourbon blog that said people have been finding them in Houston at various locations beginning Nov. 1, 2014.
carpe vinum
AG
If you just walk in and ask where it is you'll get laughed at. Every liquor store has a list that you sign up. After a year or two you'll get a call out of the blue that your name has come up.
Mathguy64
AG
PVW doesn't "hit the shelf" anywhere. If you want a one off, one time release of things like PVW (which is akin to a unicorn) or something from the BTAC or sny one of a number of select bourbon releases I suggest that you befriend a local store owner and spend a year or more getting to know them and buying bottles on a regular basis. They are probably keeping a list and getting to know them and frequenting their store will get you on their list. Then they might not charge you an arm and a leg of you get something come in.
PS3D
Given the responses so far and how rare it is, why not call ahead at a Houston liquor store and make the trip? You could combine it with other things while down there.
VegasT
AG
You have basically said what I have read. It is like finding a Unicorn unless you are on a list or have someone on the inside giving you a hot tip that some has just been put out on the shelf.

Otherwise, it is walking into a mom and pop shop and finding the unicorn sitting on the shelf.

Twin Liquors said they don't have a list. They said they do not even know if they will get any from year to year because the hub stores decide what is distributed and where. When they do get it in, it is a surprise and just goes on the shelf with everything else.

I was just curious if anyone was lucky enough to get on a list and get a bottle locally this week.

Stucco
Spec's wait list is up to 10 yrs.
Mathguy64
AG
I am on a list a Specs. They will add you to the list if you ask. The downside is anyone can get on, first come first served and its probably a long list. And I'm talking about BTAC level stuff. PVW just isn't going to happen. The upside is they are big enough that I am likely to get something. Small shops I think are more likely to have a shorter list but more likely to get nothing and what they get may have a huge mark up . As you mentioned, Twin has no idea is they will get anything even distributed out to them here. Last year Specs only got one bottle of WLW here and it went to a guy who had been on the request list since the year before. Last year I got a bottle of GTS, ER17 and THH. I had no idea what of anything I would get until I got a call. I expect something this year but you never know. Its sort of like Christmas.

If you want PVW, go to the Republic and pay for a shot. Given the insane mark up and/or the prices on the secondary market, its probably cheaper and its guaranteed.
Mr. Griswold
How much does it cost at The Republic?
jh88ag
AG
I am on the list at Spec's in College Station. I am up to number 11 on that list (I've been on it for three years). A few weeks ago, a manager told me they are probably going scrap the first come waiting list and determine who gets the PVW based on their frequent shopper points (whatever their name for the point program). I'll never get any based on that criteria, although I do at least have an account. Last year they received 9 bottles. I don't know if they've received any at this store yet this year.
thesleepstation
Sponsor
AG
May be wrong but last time I inquired at Republic it was not available.
FlyRod
Good bourbon is like good wine; up to a point cost and quality are correlated. After that point you get diminishing returns. I've had my share of Pappy, but "playing the game" seems silly to me now considering how much really good, reasonably priced, and readily available bourbon is out there.

That said, all the best to you in your quest.
Prune Tracy
FlyRod
So you snuck into Miramont and photographed their stash. Nicely done.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
May be wrong but last time I inquired at Republic it was not available.

They have had it in the past, or so I have seen people report. Likely they just ran out. Once their bottle(s) is empty they are done until the next year.
bugle rank '87
AG
Last time I ordered PVW at republic I believe it was $45. But that was quite a while ago and I can't remember if it was the 10, 15 or 20 year. Pretty sure it wasn't the 23 year.
FlyRod
Like many restaurants, The Republic has a Captain's List of spirits you may have to be persuasive about getting to see...
OnlyANobody
You should get to know me. My frequent buyer status at Specs is pretty respectable. (Or not - depending on how you view that)
VegasT
AG
quote:
Good bourbon is like good wine; up to a point cost and quality are correlated. After that point you get diminishing returns. I've had my share of Pappy, but "playing the game" seems silly to me now considering how much really good, reasonably priced, and readily available bourbon is out there.

What are readily available good bourbons? I am always up for trying something new.
halibut sinclair
http://www.bonappetit.com/columns/the-foodist/slideshow/10-great-affordable-bourbons-buy-cant-find-pappy-van-winkle
MaysAggie2015
I doubt the specs wait list is 10 years since I put in an order for 2 15s 2 20s and 2 23s last year and got them all plus a bottle of 23 that wasn't picked up.

Easiest place to find PVW outside bourbon country is Colorado.
CS78
Yall think they would mind if I started selling PVW trucker hats and stickers?
FlyRod
Four Roses is my house bourbon, and I believe that's on the list halibut posted. It's nice.
The_Waco_Kid
AG
Spec's had completely scrapped their waiting list and turned into a points list. Those who had enough points were informed, and allowed to buy a bottle. This year, only six bottles were available for whole sale distribution (to bars and restaurants), while three was 30 last year. I don't think retail had gotten theirs yet, but if they did, it is long gone.
Nom de Plume
AG
I found 2 20s on the shelf at a Specs in Corpus 2 or 3 years ago for $100ea. Snagged them both have never seen them anywhere since. Just have to get lucky.
redd38
AG
Saw some 23 year at the restaurant I ate at this morning in Auburn. Only $65 a pour.
MaysAggie2015
Ill sell a bottle of 23. $500.
iParty
AG
#Gadgets, check your PM
foreverstudent2015
Total shot out of the blue. But I have now begun my hunt and would gladly seek out any information pertaining to my goal of obtaining a bottle of Pappy for bourbon collection. Thanks!
EliteElectric
I prefer Middleton's to PVW, PVW is not worth the trouble of getting it and/or the price IMHO.

Like mentioned upstream there are many great Whiskeys and Bourbons that are as good if not better and are readily available.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I've got a bottle of 15 that was bottled in 2008.
thesleepstation
Sponsor
AG
foreverstudent2015 said:

Total shot out of the blue. But I have now begun my hunt and would gladly seek out any information pertaining to my goal of obtaining a bottle of Pappy for bourbon collection. Thanks!
what years are you looking for? 12?, 15? 20?, 23?
Aggie Owned and Operated by Jarrad and Elisha McLeod Class of 2003 and 2006! The Official Mattress Provider of TexAgs!
atm86
AG
Occasionally both Casa do Brazil and Angry Elephant have had some. Not full bottles for sale, but by the drink.
histag10
AG
Republic has it as well. Was not overly impressed for the price. They will also recommend other brands that are just as good.
MarkPro
The guy at Bigs on the corner of Boonville and Copperfield almost always has some. I haven't been in there in a while, but when they have it, they are very proud of it. They generally have a very good selection of good Bourbons, but again, they are proud of them. Back in April or so they had Blantons for $200. I don't even ask about the PVW. I've been fortunate to have had the 23, 15, and 10. I personally prefer other Bourbons, but it's nice to say I've had them.
histag10
AG
I would never have guessed. I drive by there frequently, but have never stopped. Tried to fill up at that gas station once. 10 minutes and only got 5 gallons. Left.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.