Costco, Bryan-College Station?

24,295 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Texker
southcsag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Costco Plans 150 New Stores in 5 Years
May 30, 2013Elliot Zwiebach

ISSAQUAH, Wash. — Costco Wholesale Corp. here said Thursday it expects to open approximately 150 new warehouses over the next five years, including the 28 it projects opening this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONNECT WITH SN ON LINKEDIN

Of the total, about 55 would be in the U.S., with the rest in Canada or overseas, Richard Galanti, executive vice president and chief financial officer, told investors during a conference call. In addition, he said half the warehouses would be in-fill locations and half in new markets.

Costco has already opened 19 new warehouses through the first three quarters of the fiscal year, with nine more due in the fourth quarter — three in the U.S., three in Japan and one each in the United Kingdom, Taiwan and Australia — for a total of 28 this year, compared with 16 in fiscal 2012 and 20 in fiscal 2011.

In response to a question, Galanti said the increased rate of expansion has less to do with competitive activity "but simply reflects that we are doing well and we want to ramp up expansion, which is a decision we made two or three years ago."

Read more: Costco Plans to Accelerate Openings

For the 12-week third quarter that ended May 12, net income rose 18.9% to $459 million, while sales increased 7.8% to $23.6 billion. Comparable-store sales, excluding gas and foreign exchange rates, were up 7%. For the 36-week year-to-date, net income rose 29.3% to $1.4 billion, while sales climbed 8.5% to $71.1 billion and comps were up 6%.

According to Galanti, the number of transactions was flat for the quarter, though customer frequency rose 5.5% for the quarter and 4.8% for the year to date, which he said he attributed to two factors: the price of gas, which accounts for about 10.5% of Costco's sales — and the fact 30% of gas customers shop the warehouses; and fresh food sales, which drive greater frequency.

Read More: http://supermarketnews.com/membership-warehouse-clubs/costco-plans-150-new-stores-5-years#ixzz2ZETKWOHv
AggieJason
AG
Okay, so you spammed the board with a copy/paste about an organization that has no plans to move here? I mean, it would be one thing if the article mentioned something about Texas. Wishful thinking, bud.
95_Aggie
AG
no
aggiewrench
not looking good for us getting one

http://addictedtocostco.com/costco-locations/

Lubbock is getting one

looks like we need another 60K people in order to be considered

[This message has been edited by aggiewrench (edited 7/16/2013 1:56p).]
SARATOGA
What is the difference between Costco and SAMS warehouse ?
95_Aggie
AG
snob level
Savory
And quality of groceries.
tb9665
I saw this morning on the news Michael Kros is suing them for false advertising. They used his bag in an ad and his merchandise is not even sold there. There was another designer that also sued them and I can not remember who it was.
Tailgate88
AG
Costco is owned by liberals.
Sam's is owned by conservatives.

Just FYI.
techno-ag
AG
You can shop them online if you gotta have them.
BlazeHarper
Costco maintains a higher quality level in both their products and their service. Costco also treats their employees better. They pay their employees more, provide benefits. For instance starting at Costco is 11/hour however after 4 years you get up to $19.50/hour. If you have ever been to both of them you will notice right away much more efficient Costco is at checkout.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Lacey's cookies
Corps_Ag12
AG
quote:
SAMS is owned by conseratives

Could of fooled me the way Walmart drives local businesses out of areas they infest.
Pro Sandy
AG
quote:
Could of fooled me the way Walmart drives local businesses out of areas they infest.
Oh noes! The free market works!
FlyRod
BlazeHarper, I concur with your observations, and share them. Definitely notice a different vibe there. As far as inventory, not sure the two stores vary a whole lot.
OnlyForNow
AG
Michael kros stuff is sold at our house costcos.
Frio Cielo
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone slept through their American Government class.

rhoswen
AG
quote:
quote:

Pretty sure that's false.
PS3D
Heard a rumor a few years back about Costco opening on Highway 6 south of the new hospital, but they wouldn't break ground on it until the hospital had been open for a bit. That's all it is, though: a rumor.
aggiewrench
would be awesome if true
frito bandito
Walmart absolutely kills small retail businesses. What proliferates are small "service" type businesses; tattoo parlors, payday and title loan shops, pawn shops, resale shops, etc.
Frio Cielo
No what kills small business is the persons who quit going there. If no one changed they purchasing habits after a Wal-Mart comes to town, the small businesses would not disappear.

The consumer drives the train.

SumAggie
quote:
The consumer drives the train.
i.e. the free market.
FlyRod
There are quite a few " People of Walmart" websites...I've never seen a "People of Costco" one.

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 7/17/2013 2:22p).]
The Anchor
AG
quote:
There are quite a few " People of Walmart" websites...I've never seen a "People of Costco"

Cameras aren't allowed in Costco.
capn-mac
Funny, they--Costco--let me with my Galaxy S II, which has a 12 mP camera . . .
techno-ag
AG
You don't see "people of Sam's" either. HTH.

Newbomb_Turk
Techno ag with a decent retort - FINALLY
FlyRod
It was lacking TTTH so no, not really.

AND there is in fact now a "People of SAM's Club." And no I didn't start it. Not going to risk a ban posting the link.

Back to the retort drawing board.

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 7/17/2013 8:35p).]
Newbomb_Turk
techno-ag, DENIED.
FlyRod
It was a yeoman like effort, I won't deny.
Hammerheadjim
AG
I wonder if these large corporations like Costco take into account the potential the entire area population and not just College station or Bryan.
I think a metro area of 200,000+ in only a medium sized county like Brazos County should be a steal. All things considered there is a pretty good revenue stream here.
rhoswen
AG
Interesting read

http://business.time.com/2012/06/04/the-unexpected-effects-of-walmart-coming-to-town/
BourbonOTR
Places like Costco, SAMs, Walmart have caused the manufacturing of most of the products we buy to be moved to China and have cheapened the quality of products we as Americans have access to. Everyone wants as cheap as they can get with no regard for quality these days. I Feel like these stores have been the major source of the downfall of our economy over the last 30 years. Maybe it's just me. Even places like Specs who have great buying power will buy out all the supply of a distillery and then control the end product by forcing the distiller to cheapen the process. All for the sake of bigger margins in their pockets. Guess this is just what we've allowed as Americans.
FlyRod
That's a common argument, Bourbon, but might it also be the case that the big box giants moved in AFTER manufacturing and small businesses closed, moved out, or were never actually there? I've driven through some pretty rural places that had a Walmart and little evidence there was much business there before they moved in. Not suggesting Walmart hasn't been a cause of some of these things, but it seems its a response to these trends as well.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.