New Union Pacific Railroad Yard coming to the Hearne area

3,055 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Burdizzo
Marooned_n_Aggieland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To be built between Mumford and Valley Junction (Hwy79).

WTAW interview with UP spokesperson
malibu9in1
this is very good!!!!
Hammerheadjim
AG
Yes, this will be a nice boon to the area!
PS3D
As late as 1995 (maybe later), there were yards in Hearne. Many rails have been totally removed, even though many stand.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
There is still a yard in Hearne but when it was rebuilt it was made smaller due to a couple of operational issues. The old Southern Pacific yard is in a horrible physical location which totally handicaps it's performance and the fluidity of the mainlines.

A small yard is located at Valley Junction (old Missouri Pacific) but it is somewhat isolated from the current rail traffic arteries and like the yard in Hearne, impacts mainline operation too much to be heavily utilized.

As mentioned in the interview, the big mega rail mergers have changed the landscape for rail transportation in the state as well as new markets (Mexico, containerization of freight, oil boom, etc). As an example, it is not hard to find a train carrying nothing but crude oil moving past Kyle Field. This would have been unheard of just a few years ago.
PS3D
Don't really understand why we have a railroad in town anymore. It has forced us to build all sorts of expensive railroad overpasses/underpasses. Seriously, there's no active spurs between Millican (a fertilizer plant) until the Brazos Industrial Park or the Bryan Business Park, unless you count the Commissary line, which I think isn't really used anymore.

We're stuck with a railroad, so let's it give some reason to be here!
vmat2
the railroad should work hard to find willing sellers of property, and not take folks to condemnation hearings who don't want to lose the family farm
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Well, they do own the land and have since the area folks packed up and moved the original town to what is now Bryan to be near it.
CSAg1970
AG
It is a blatant lie that UP is working with the landowners on acquisition. They have spoken directly with only a handful of the landowners when they should have called a meeting of everyone to discuss their project. I have heard that they are ruthless...and they are. This project will take away the livelihood of numerous people and destroy some very fertile, revenue producing land that many retired people, including my mother, rely on to live. This is a terrible thing for the community between Mumford and Hearne...current residents will not be able to live there because of the noise and pollutants that will be released into the air. It will also impact the water supply. If Hearne thinks it's such a good thing, then the facility needs to be built in Hearne and not on the back of landowners whose immigrant grandfathers and great grandfathers worked the land with wooden plows in order to buy it.
frito bandito
Those immigrant grandfathers and great grandfathers produced agricultural products that were [gasp] shipped by rail. UP will take 1,000 acres out of ag exemption into a higher commercial/industrial tax category; how is that bad? 200 jobs, with all of the economic multipliers that come with new folks moving into the area, how is that bad?

You would be amazed at the "green" technology utilized by the railroads such as low emission locomotives; hybrid locomotives; and spill pads to minimize contamination from fuel and lubricants.

Good for UP and the good for the local economy.

[This message has been edited by frito bandito (edited 7/20/2012 3:04p).]
Marooned_n_Aggieland
quote:
.current residents will not be able to live there because of the noise and pollutants that will be released into the air.

More or less pollutants that come out of the trailing wing edge of those nice little yellow airplanes everyone sees out there?

Noise? I doubt that you will hear a thing different than what is out there now.

How about those folks depending on the land sell at a good rate, take the money and find some good investments?

On a side note, I visited with one of the families that own land in this area (near Tatsie). They were a very nice older couple that told me their children all lived elsewhere and chose careers and lives beyond farming. Isolated occurrence? Maybe but I would suspect this is close to the norm than an outlier.
techno-ag
AG
Great news for Hearne and Robertson Co.
CSAg1970
AG
I am one of the landowners that will be affected. How do you put a price on the potential value of the water under that land or the minerals. We will not be compensated for future value. If you were a landowner whose grandfather and/or great grandfather tilled that land, you would feel differently. UP's project will forever change that area from a nice, peaceful community to an industrial area. Many people's lives will be disrupted. It's not all about the money!
carpe vinum
AG
This has been rumored since ~2005. UP wheels turn sloooooooooowly.
Tex Aggie
AG
quote:
More or less pollutants that come out of the trailing wing edge of those nice little yellow airplanes everyone sees out there?

i hope you are not complaining with your mouth full.

FACTS
pesticides are a necessity to grow crops. pesticide use has dramatically gone down over the last 20 years. pesticides are regulated and approved for use. harsh products have been banned over the years. etc, etc...

this is a high production agricultural area. please do some research before you start talking

also, FM 50 is going to be a nightmare with the construction project.

These landowners better be compensated for the takeover. There are a lot of factors with minerals/water/value/accessibility that need to be properly addressed.

quote:
How about those folks depending on the land sell at a good rate, take the money and find some good investments?

what if they dont want to? let me just come take your house and give you a "fair" value for it, you wouldnt mind.

[This message has been edited by Tex Aggie (edited 7/21/2012 4:04p).]

[This message has been edited by Tex Aggie (edited 7/21/2012 4:09p).]
techno-ag
AG
More land will be "taken over" if and when the rumored bypass around Hearne is ever built. Few will complain about that, either.
ThatSneakyAzzAleppoMoment
quote:
I am one of the landowners that will be affected. How do you put a price on the potential value of the water under that land or the minerals. We will not be compensated for future value. If you were a landowner whose grandfather and/or great grandfather tilled that land, you would feel differently. UP's project will forever change that area from a nice, peaceful community to an industrial area. Many people's lives will be disrupted. It's not all about the money!

It was these type of people who kept Campbell Soup from coming to Hearne.
Burdizzo
AG
Railroads combine the worst of both worlds. They have the power of condemnation to acquire Right-of-way with no accountability to anyone but their shareholders. That is why they treat landowners the way they do. Even the government is more accountable for their actions than the railroad industry when it comes to real estate issues.

I work for a major metropolitan utility and we have to get permits to cross RR Row from time to time with water and sewer mains. The RR's are notoriously slow and difficult to deal with.
techno-ag
AG
Trains take shipments off the highways. They save enormous amounts of fuel by combining loads. They are the greenest of all land transportation.
Rexter
i can hear it now.....

don't put it in my back yard.....

put it on the street.....

get off my lawn!!!

oh wait...wrong thread. same principle. never move forward.
PS3D
Hearne could've gotten a Campbell Soup plant? When was this?
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
quote:

It was these type of people who kept Campbell Soup from coming to Hearne.

why are you hating on the right of private landowners?
benny63
Imminent domain being used to take land to build a railyard owned by a private company?

How in the world do folks not consider this wrong?
carpe vinum
AG
Where are you folks seeing/hearing the land was taken through imminent domain?
benny63
I heard that imminent domain was at least threatend. However, if I am wrong, my previous post isn't relevant.
Fletch_F_Fletch
AG
Imminent domain =/= eminent domain. Eminent domain is condemnation of property to transfer title from private owner to the government. I'm not sure what the rest of you are talking about.
benny63
Fletch - thx for the spelling correction. However, eminent domain is used by the government to condemn property and then have it transferred to a private third-party.
Burdizzo
AG
It was a power granted to railroads back during westward expansion to get the transcontinental railroad built. They still have it today. Imagine what a pain it would be to build a new railroad today if they didn't have it.

The problem is they are not accountable to anyone when they abuse it.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.