Dearborn heater conversion from propane to natural gas

22,737 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by dubi
oldyeller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello:

I've got a couple of Dearborn heaters that are currently setup for propane, they were being used at a hunting camp, but I want to have them converted to natural gas so that I can use them in a old house that I am renovating. I believe that all the conversion requires is changing out the gas orifice, but since it might require more than that I'd rather not do it myself. Does anyone know who here in town works on these and might be able to handle this conversion?

Thanks
letterman72
AG
Contact Bugge Plumbing. Bring the orifice you are using and they can sell you one that will work with natural gas. That is the only thing that needs to be changed out.

[This message has been edited by letterman72 (edited 12/28/2010 10:25p).]
oldyeller
AG
Thanks. I'll give them a call.
JohnGausePlumbing
The conversion is pretty simple, it just requires that office be replaced. Dearborn heaters are a GREAT source of heat. However, if these heaters do not have a pilot conversion they are against city code, do to safety issues. The concern is that the flame will go out and gas will leak into the dwelling. Just something to consider before you spend money to convert, if you are having this property inspected.
Good Luck

Sponsor Message: http://www.johngauseplumbing.com/
oldyeller
AG
Thanks. I didn't know that they needed a pilot light. There was one Dearborn heater that came with the house that has no pilot light on it, and that the previous owners were using, but my house inspector said nothing about it save that it was in a bad location and could use a new hose to the gas outlet. Hence why I didn't even think about installing pilot lights.

Is having a pilot light kit installed worth the expense on 2-3 heaters? (I think one of the propane heaters already has a pilot on it.) Or would it be better to buy newer gas heaters with the pilots already installed?
dubi
AG
quote:
Or would it be safer to buy newer gas heaters with the pilots already installed?
oldyeller
AG
quote:
Or would it be safer to buy newer gas heaters with the pilots already installed?

Assuming the installation of the pilot light conversion was handled by a professional, and in the process the entire heater was inspected for faults, why would a "blue flame" heater from Lowes/Home Depot be any safer?
dubi
AG
quote:
Assuming the installation of the pilot light conversion was handled by a professional, and in the process the entire heater was inspected for faults, why would a "blue flame" heater from Lowes/Home Depot be any safer?

I agree. I meant safer to have a new code compliant heater than the current heater without a pilot light.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.