Bait and switch at NTB

5,120 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by CSMomOf2
Temple Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I went in with an oil change coupon from HEB and they would not honor it. Instead it would be several dollars more. It was a valid coupon that was not expired. Also the increase was not for disposal fees. I find this unethical. I then went to Midas and had my oil changed. Has this happened to anyone else?
91_Aggie
AG
Do they say they will honor other people's coupons?

And I wouldn't trust Midas to re-fill my windshield wiper water.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Do you have a larger vehicle or use synthetic oil? Those coupons are usually for a basic oil change, i.e. 5 quarts or less of conventional oil. Larger engines take more oil, and synthetic oil costs more.

But if the coupon didn't specify anything they should have honored it.
aggiegonzo01
Why would you take your car to a tire shop for an oil change? Better yet, why would'nt you take it to the dealer of the make of vehicle you drive? Just about every dealership in town is very competitive on vehicle service and most also offer coupons on their website. Also keep in mind that there are some quick lubes that have been known to use recycled oil (used) which is why the can offer such a cheap oil change.
cohibasymas
AG
I use the same coupon for $16.99 oil and filter change at NTB plus free tire rotation every time I change my truck's oil. I've never had anything but the best service. I'm sorry you had an issue.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
Why would you take your car to a tire shop for an oil change? Better yet, why would'nt you take it to the dealer of the make of vehicle you drive? Just about every dealership in town is very competitive on vehicle service and most also offer coupons on their website. Also keep in mind that there are some quick lubes that have been known to use recycled oil (used) which is why the can offer such a cheap oil change.

wow, are you related to someone who owns a dealership... I'd have to drive 10 miles out of the way to get there and then probably have to wait over an hour for them to do it and then get overcharged for it.

Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Just a PSA about quick-lube places. Buy a quality oil filter and take it with you for them to install. These places typically use the cheapest cardboard filter available. You don't want that cardboard degrading and getting in your engine.

You'll do your engine a huge favor by stopping by the parts store and getting a wix/purolator/mobil1 (i.e. NOT Fram) filter before going to have it done. Sometimes they'll even knock off a few bucks if you bring your own.
allenhondaCSTX
I cant speak for other dealers, but after taxes we are $34.30 and we wash and dry the exterior. Usually takes 45 minutes, but rarely more than an hr.

There used to be a time when dealers operated that way, BUT there is to much competition for dealers to NOT treat customers the way they should be treated and to perform their services at a fair price.

Treat the customers right and fairly, there is no other way.

Most Hondas use 5w20 oil. Out of a sample of 20 places in town comparing normal prices, only walmart was less than us. By 3 dollars. They will NOT check your brake fluid though or wash your vehicle.

Common misconception about dealers on this, BUT dealers in general brought this upon themselves by thinking the way you stated for some many years in the 80's and early 90's. times have definitely changed.

I'll compare our time to complete service and cost with just about anyone. Our coupon price after taxes is $29.30 and a coupon is always up on our website.

[This message has been edited by allenhondaCSTX (edited 3/9/2010 2:57p).]
BillDritz
If the coupon is always up online why not just lower your price?

allenhondaCSTX
It just takes 5 seconds of your time if you would like the discount or thursday is customer appreciation day where you do not need a coupon, plus ladies get a rose( yes we will give one to the guys to take home to your SO also lol).

The same reason NTB or any other shop doesnt have $16.99 regular oil change prices.
SumAggie
quote:
...wix/purolator/mobil1 (i.e. NOT Fram) filter before going...
I have changed my own oil since I was in high school and have always used Fram filters. My current work vehicle only has 211,000 miles on the original engine...

AggieBB
AG
Fram is about the sorriest oil filter out there. Thats not shocking news....
fighterpilot
S
I agree with allenhonda for many reasons. First, I know the guy. He will steer you right. Second, I'm in the business also. I have seen cheap filters ruin an engine especially if they go long between changes. Third, and most important, you get the backing of the manufacturer. There will be a concrete record of your timely oil change and they will use the manufacturer specific oil and filter. If something goes wrong, you likely will not have to take them to court to get it resolved. Most dealers are competitively priced. Remember the rule that can be applied to most any subject - You get what you pay for
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Fram Extra Guard and Double Guard BOTH use cardboard as a filter media. They also BOTH use a rubber anti-drainback that supposedly seals against the cardboard. However, as the cardboard breaks down the drainback loses the seal allowing dirty oil to circulate back through through your engine. The plastic by-pass valves continually break and lose funtionality. Basically these filters allow dirty oil to circulate and at the end of their short life cause much greater oil restriction, making your engine work harder, heat up more, and degrade your oil even faster. The fram filter also has the fewest pleats in the filter media, which reduces your overall filtering media surface.

A quality oil filter like M1, Wix, Napa, Motorcraft, Purolater is made with quality components that allow more free flow of oil into the engine while still outperforming the cheap oil filters in filtering efficiency. You might not notice it, but the fact is that your engine is working harder and circulating dirtier oil because fram makes a cheap product. Most of the quicklube place filters are made fram and rebranded to something else.

here's a good article that should cover just about everything.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

spike427
AG
I can't take my VUE to the dealership anymore!
Fletch_F_Fletch
AG
First of all, you couldn't pay me to take my truck to the dealer for an oil filter. I've never had good service and I always leave second guessing whether or not they've even touched my vehicle. I also don't need a free (and usually awful) car wash to feel good about my service.

Take my advice (and the advice of at least one other person on this thread)... go buy your own oil and filter so you can get EXACTLY what you want in/on your vehicle. Then you have two choices: (1) Change it all yourself if you have the tools and can dispose of it properly, or (2) Take oil and filter to a local shop (I goto Wolf Creek Wash and Oil Change) and have them take care of the dirty part. They'll also check your air filter, both differentials, transfer case, transmission fluid, and they'll refill your washer fluid as part of their normal service.

I run full synthetic so my costs are above average, but for the $20 I spend at WC, I get my money's worth.
ack
I've always taken my Honda to Allen for all services. I'd skip the free "wash" though.
dachsie
My Honda goes to Allen too.
allenhondaCSTX
Ack, When I started here 2 years ago, they would bring the car up dripping with water, which would leave water spots/marks when dried.

Not good and that bothered me as well.

We now scrub the front with a bug remover to remove as many bugs as possible and now dry all exteriors to give a better wash job.

Informed ag, ANY shop , when you get ANY service, including the oil change, should include checking the conditions of all fluids and topping them off as necessary, give you a tread depth reading on your tires and air them up to specs(spec are listed on the drivers door jamb) measure your brake linings, ck outside light bulb operations,check the CCA's in your battery.

If they do not , they have failed, find a new place.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Hey honda, a few years ago I owned a Honda and I think I remember the power steering fluid being something to be careful of at a non-dealer shop. I always told them to leave the power steering fluid alone. I was told Honda used a different type of fluid in their system. Is that that still true?
allenhondaCSTX
SKF you are correct Sir!
CSMomOf2
Informed: the $20 is basically for them to change the oil and check the other stuff? That's actually not bad. Thanks for the info!

We use synthetic oil and a Napa Gold filter. Usually my husband changes the oil, but sometimes it comes due when he's gone on business (he's usually gone for a couple months at a time). Anyways...I usually try to get one of his buddies to do it, but it would be really nice to just take it there and be done with it.

BTW...I wouldn't trust the dealership either. I swear, even the service people are pushy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.