Protect you sprinkler system from freezing!

12,884 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by keo1
phathaway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The best way to protect your sprinkler system from freezing is to follow this list of procedures:

1. Turn the water OFF at the irrigation system manual or main shut-off valve (usually located near the meter).
2. Activate the zone valve that operates the lowest zone (in elevation). This will release the pressure and water on the mainline. Gravity will facilitate the water in draining out of the lowest head.
3. Turn the irrigation controller “OFF”.

If you have an above ground backflow prevention device, it is recommended that you also turn OFF the manual shut-off valves located on both sides of the valve. This is accomplished by turning the handle perpendicular to the flow of water. You can drain the valve by opening both test cocks with a small screwdriver. At the very least, wrap/cover any above ground pipes/valves.

If you have any questions, call me.

Philip J. Hathaway

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 1/6/2010 11:11a).]
dave99ag
AG
Thanks for the reminder.
phathaway
These instructions are for extreme cases. It would take several days of freezing temps. before any underground pipes would freeze. Your biggest concern should be to protect the above ground pipes/valves. At the very least, Turn off, Wrap and Cover the Pressure Vacuum Breaker-PVB (if you have one).
dave99ag
AG
My neighbor had their PVB break on them during a hard freeze a few years ago. I saw water shooting out the valve and was able to get it shut off. Not sure if they ever repaired it though since I haven't seen their sprinklers running. Probably an easy fix too. Easier than finding the solinoids in the ground.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
2. Activate the zone valve that operates the lowest zone (in elevation). This will release the pressure and water on the mainline. Gravity will facilitate the water in draining out of the lowest head.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? Where do you find this zone valve?
dave99ag
AG
quote:
Where do you find this zone valve?
That's the fun part if you don't have an irrigation plan handy. I've only found a few in my backyard only because I saw them before sod was put down. Even then it was still a good search. My lowest point is in the front and I have no clue where those valves are located.
phathaway
At the controller.... turn on the irrigation zone that covers the lowest (in elevation) part of your yard. If you previously turned the manual valve off, there will not be much water in the system so you won't see much water spraying, but you will empty or release pressure in the pipes. This will reduce problems resulting from water freezing in the pipes.
phathaway
It's not necessary to find the valves in the yard. You only need to turn on the zone valve from the electronic controller/timer. Just don't forget to turn it off. Its not a good idea to run the electric valves while dry.
RCH2030
How about an outdoor kitchen sink?

I've turned off the water supply below the sink, and I left the hot and cold faucet handles turned on. Also wrapped the faucet itself to insulate it,anything else?

phathaway
"I've turned off the water supply below the sink, and I left the hot and cold faucet handles turned on. Also wrapped the faucet itself to insulate it,anything else?"

I would be most concerned with the pipes beneath the sink. If the are exposed, you should wrap and cover them.
RCH2030
They are incased in a cabinet below the sink, so I should still wrap those up, a blanket, will that work? Wool blanket?
JB
AG
What about my sprinklers for my septic tank? They come on automatically when the tank gets full.
78firebird
Main sprinkler valve location:
Found mine next to the main house valve about a foot away from the city meter. The easiest way to find it is get a stick and start tapping the ground. The valve should be in an enclosure with a round lid flush with the ground.

Aggeepop
AG
Aerobic septic systems have their pipes and valves deep in the ground or in the tank itself. There is very little likelihood of those freezing. The only time there is water in the line is when the heads are spraying and then, it is moving water which will not freeze in the expected weather. As Phil mentioned, the main concern is for pipes and PVB's that are exposed above ground.

WTG Phil for alerting the masses.
keo1
AG
Phil,

I want to make cool ice sculptures in my yard by running the sprinkler.... How much damage will it cause to my sprinkler?

phathaway
Keo, Sounds like fun! Leave it on all night and we'll play Hockey on your front yard!
keo1
AG
Not me brother, I can hardly roller skate. Great advice to give everyone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.