Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ranchers - your feed prices are going to bankrupt you

3,696 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by txags92
Tecolote
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just got an invoice for one of the loads of cottonseed meal and those *******s just reneged on my contract price and billed me for one load a total of $17.85 million! SOBs
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How much would it normally cost?
giddings_ag_06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe that was in pesos
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe they thought your were mfbarnes
Hank the Grifter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Renegers.
Saltwater Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BQ_90 said:

Maybe they thought your were mfbarnes


MFBarnes jokes Literally never get old
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Supplemental protein will get you, especially in the northern 2/3 of the state. Stockpiled grass will only get you so far.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Tecolote
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saltwater Assassin said:

BQ_90 said:

Maybe they thought your were mfbarnes


MFBarnes jokes Literally never get old

Absolutely - I laughed a lot at that reply!
Mas89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That sounds cheaper than the Purina we are currently feeding weaned heifers and wintering bulls.
Tecolote
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

How much would it normally cost?

$8-11k depending on if you'd contracted or were getting spot loads. The main cottonseed plant in Lubbock is undergoing major renovations in October, the cotton crop wasn't/isn't good (spotty and non uniform is a better description), etc. so high prices will be around a while. I worry about high prices but I worry more about the product just not being available.

Soybean meal is a good counterpart but it's even more expensive and because the cottonseed meal plant is down, everyone is grabbing it so they have something. Nebraska has decent supply but at $6+ on diesel the freight is a *****.

Lower quality proteins like canola and sunflower meals also have tight markets.

Lots of ****ty grain crops also due to drought in many places. Things are always dynamic but prices will be higher this year. Last year was very good (for the feed buyers, not the farmers) with some of the lowest prices on most crops and cheap diesel.
Tecolote
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mas89 said:

That sounds cheaper than the Purina we are currently feeding weaned heifers and wintering bulls.

Yeah, they are pretty pricey right now.
Hank the Grifter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So you're sure there's not a decimal point error here?

I mean just the numbers alone seem comically erroneous. That's a 162,173% increase.
snowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe his load is measured in rail-cars?
aggiez03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So it went from $11,000 to $17 Million?

I think you might want to find a new supplier.
Tecolote
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hank the Grifter said:

So you're sure there's not a decimal point error here?

I mean just the numbers alone seem comically erroneous. That's a 162,173% increase.


They had a software glitch. So the load was 55,680 lbs or 27.84 tons. My contract price was $320 per ton but their software multiplied the ton price times the pounds instead of the tons - thus, the outrageous number.
Tecolote
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiez03 said:

So it went from $11,000 to $17 Million?

I think you might want to find a new supplier.

There is a monopoly on cottonseed meal anywhere in a HUGE radius around Lubbock - the closest other plant is a smaller ADM one near Houston.
insulator_king
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tecolote said:

Hank the Grifter said:

So you're sure there's not a decimal point error here?

I mean just the numbers alone seem comically erroneous. That's a 162,173% increase.


They had a software glitch. So the load was 55,680 lbs or 27.84 tons. My contract price was $320 per ton but their software multiplied the ton price times the pounds instead of the tons - thus, the outrageous number.

I wonder what AI was used to update their software....
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
insulator_king said:

Tecolote said:

Hank the Grifter said:

So you're sure there's not a decimal point error here?

I mean just the numbers alone seem comically erroneous. That's a 162,173% increase.


They had a software glitch. So the load was 55,680 lbs or 27.84 tons. My contract price was $320 per ton but their software multiplied the ton price times the pounds instead of the tons - thus, the outrageous number.

I wonder what AI was used to update their software....

Probably MumbAI
Tarponfly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MFBarnes
HillCountry15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are we all just going to forget about the fact that somewhere, a sales rep is being presented a "sales rep of the year" trophy by their boss?!?! What a sale!

Congrats to that feed rep!!!
plant science guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tecolote said:

aggiez03 said:

So it went from $11,000 to $17 Million?

I think you might want to find a new supplier.

There is a monopoly on cottonseed meal anywhere in a HUGE radius around Lubbock - the closest other plant is a smaller ADM one near Houston.

You think there's room for competition?
Tecolote
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
plant science guy said:

Tecolote said:

aggiez03 said:

So it went from $11,000 to $17 Million?

I think you might want to find a new supplier.

There is a monopoly on cottonseed meal anywhere in a HUGE radius around Lubbock - the closest other plant is a smaller ADM one near Houston.

You think there's room for competition?

Hard to say. From a consumer end I much preferred the competition. Up until summer 2025 there were two companies in Lubbock operating cottonseed processing plants (i.e,. crushing seed for oil extraction and selling off the crushed meal and hulls for feed). I use to contract with both so if one was having issues or rationing, I had access to the other and it also kept both with lower prices.

Now, both companies were losing money and both were on the verge of closing so they swallowed their pride and did a 60/40 joint venture and now there is one plant. They have been nothing but a disaster. Last January they went down due to the freezing weather. When they tried to restart they literally blew up their plant with issues on their boiler. They tried to come back online after a week and it blew up again and were down a month. Luckily I have large storage and I stockpile reserves just for this reason. But even after they came back online they had to ration as all feed mills, feed lots, and dairies were trying to restock. I'm sure they lost lots of money. Now with a poor cotton crop their plans to reopen one of the other plants were shelved.

So, I don't see anyone investing massive money in a new processing plant.

And as coaches love to say "it ain't going to be like it use to be" - they usually wind up with a disaster after saying that. So, with cottonseed products, I'll just say "it ain't going to be like it use to be"
plant science guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good to know, thank you for humoring me.
JBAG064
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I deal in CSM and other bulk feed ingredients and at least don't think am the one that screwed up your invoice. If your interested in keeping whoever honest and want another outlet to check prices let me know. I dont post regularly, and not sure if my email is in profile but nine 7 nine two 2 zero 4 one zero one is my cell we might have already have done business.
texamwalker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe should consider switching to whole extruded cottonseed cake instead of solvent meal. Higher TDN, quadruple the fat and all the fiber you need. Also cheaper per unit of digestible protein and fat. Local plant in central Texas that can produce as much as you need year round.
Tecolote
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texamwalker said:

Maybe should consider switching to whole extruded cottonseed cake instead of solvent meal. Higher TDN, quadruple the fat and all the fiber you need. Also cheaper per unit of digestible protein and fat. Local plant in central Texas that can produce as much as you need year round.

Name of plant? Also, I'm not feeding it but using it as an ingredient so I'm not interested in it being in the cake/cube form. Thanks.
texamwalker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BFM Cooperative Inc
Rosebud Tx
two 5four8sixnine21zero5
Can get it in loose form which is cheaper than the cubed product.
Tecolote
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texamwalker said:

BFM Cooperative Inc
Rosebud Tx
two 5four8sixnine21zero5
Can get it in loose form which is cheaper than the cubed product.

TX_COWDOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry I missed you this trip! Had a good time. Next time.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
Tecolote
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TX_COWDOC said:

Sorry I missed you this trip! Had a good time. Next time.

Glad your trip was good. See you next time.
bucky91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How do the Amish afford it
FatZilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bucky91 said:

How do the Amish afford it


The math using an abacus is harder to screw up like this.
CascadiaAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tarponfly said:

MFBarnes

MFBAIrnes.

He was the first true AI.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CascadiaAg said:

Tarponfly said:

MFBarnes

MFBAIrnes.

He was the first true AI.

Irish AI?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.