Outdoors
Sponsored by

What is it and how do I kill it?

2,354 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Micropterus
Col. Steve Austin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This grass has shown up recently in lawns and garden beds here on my block. First pic is neighbors bed right on the property line. It's deep rooted and spreads via rhizomes. Glyphosate has knocked it back a bit but not killed it even with reapplications. I've gotten different IDs from different apps and search engines. One was Creeping Rye Grass which spreads via rhizomes.



ETxAg07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I believe that's torpedo.
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hate to say it, but it almost looks like bamboo.
Col. Steve Austin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ETxAg07 said:

I believe that's torpedo.

Based on some quick Google research, I tend to agree. And reading up on it, I may be in for a battle to get rid of it.
Col. Steve Austin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hoosegow said:

I hate to say it, but it almost looks like bamboo.

Funny enough, there is a privacy screen of bamboo on the other side of my neighbor's property. However, the bamboo shoots I've seen look like this:

B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Glyphosate should get it just fine. Add more surfactant/Dawn to your mix - the solution may be running off and not coating well.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This, and if you have some ammonium sulfate fertilizer, that will help it too. Two ounces by weight per gallon is enough. Dissolve it into some water and pour it off the sediment into your tank to keep the sediment from clogging your lines. And I'm almost certain that's torpedo grass. Good luck.
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HTownAg98 said:

This, and if you have some ammonium sulfate fertilizer, that will help it too. Two ounces by weight per gallon is enough. Dissolve it into some water and pour it off the sediment into your tank to keep the sediment from clogging your lines. And I'm almost certain that's torpedo grass. Good luck.

I don't think Bayer (Monsanto) has ever been able to explain why this works, but it's darn sure on the label and absolutely makes glyphosate work better, especially on stressed weeds.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
SunrayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The plants try to immediately take in the AMS, which increases absorption of the herbicide it's mixed with as well.
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Arundo donax? AKA giant reed grass or carrizo?
Micropterus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
B-1 83 said:

HTownAg98 said:

This, and if you have some ammonium sulfate fertilizer, that will help it too. Two ounces by weight per gallon is enough. Dissolve it into some water and pour it off the sediment into your tank to keep the sediment from clogging your lines. And I'm almost certain that's torpedo grass. Good luck.

I don't think Bayer (Monsanto) has ever been able to explain why this works, but it's darn sure on the label and absolutely makes glyphosate work better, especially on stressed weeds.


Glyphosate was developed around 1950 by Stauffer as a de-scaling agent for pipes. It is an extremely effective chelating agent and binds to stuff like Ca++, Mg++, Fe+3, etc. Monsanto purchased the compound in the late 60's and was awarded the patent in 1970 for use as a weed killing compound. Roundup comes out in '74. So due to its properties as a chelater, Roundup binds up on these ions in hard water, rendering it way less effective. AMS (NH4+, SO4-) strongly adheres to positively charged ions, so it binds these ions leaving more Roundup in solution to do its thing. Its also acidifies to a small degree (which RU likes), and increases surface humidity around the droplets making them slightly more prone to absorption instead of evaporation.
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well $#&@. I learned something today, which makes it necessary for me to forget something else to make room.

It would make sense to add the ammonium sulfate first in the mix then.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Micropterus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Absolutely. If you add it second, its not as effective as a water conditioner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.