Outdoors
Sponsored by

Scope Opinions

1,355 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by tcc66
JuneBug07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for personal experience with the following scopes

Swarovski Z5
Leica Amplus6
Leupold VX6HD

I am set on these three brands at this time.

I have a Z5 and have been really impressed by it, but it never hurts to expand the research base. Looking for 3x18-44 with the ability to add a ballistic elevation turret.

What say you OB? Which scope has the best specs for the criteria listed below? I assume full light clarity is probably similar between the listed models. My max range would be 600 yds.

Low light effectiveness
Firm elevation and windage clicks
Ability to handle 30 cal magnum recoil
Lighter weight is preferred, but not a deal breaker
2000$ budget.
Wodanaz
AG
I have 2 z5's and love them. I have the BT models & really like the simplicity of that dial system but typically run out of elevation around 700yds. Great glass obviously. Very light. You know all this.

I've never looked at the second.

I own lots of Leupold VX#-HD scopes. Out of all of them I prefer the VX5-HD for weight, clarity, low-light, turret trackability. I have 2 6's, just like the 5's more. Like the CDS system a lot.

I made each choice based on what rifle I was outfitting. Put the Swaros on a Cooper 6.5x284 & Custom 7PRC. The Leupys sit on my higher end production rifles.

What made you narrow it down to those 3?
TX_COWDOC
AG
I'd humbly suggest adding NightForce to your list.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
meggy09
AG
ATACR 4-20
Leupold MK5-HD 3.6-18
Burris XTR3 3.3-18
Maven RS1.2 2.5-15
Bushnell MPED 3-18

Some recommendations in order of cost. Skip the ballistic turret and learn how to dial normal.

CS78
I have two of the VX6HD in 3-18x44 in firedot duplex. I love them on my hunting guns but im not shooting distance. Light weight, simple, fairly compact, good low light, and they have done well holding zero after a season of riding around in the truck and on the atv.
japantiger
S
A fair amount of experience with Swarovski and Leupold. No experience with Leica...just reputation.

Swarovski. I would probably look at the Z6; BRH reticle, lighted dot. Probably would put you right at $2k; maybe $2200. You can get BRH on the Z5; but I don't think the lighted dot is available on the Z5. BRH reticles gives you the most flexibility to make calls on the fly without without worrying about dialing. I have two Z8's and a Z6.

Quality difference vs Leupold is evident. I have two Leupold scopes.

I don't think any of the options would be bad. I never used any kind of scope until 2014.
AggieMPH2005
Swarovski x5s are on close out most places as well.
88agswin
AG
With your $2K budget I would get the Swarovski Z6 instead of the Z5 due to the 30mm tube vs the 1 inch tube. It also has a slightly larger objective lens....I have several of the Swarovski scopes and love them. Since you said...."as it stands now" I think you should also take a strong look at the Nightforce NX8 series. It has the 30 mm tube....the reticle can be changed from red, to green or not illuminated in standard black...I would call TxCowDoc and get pricing from him for it. He is going to be building me a new gun and I am putting the NX8 4x32x50 on it...

My Swarovski's are second focal plane and the Nighforce are first focal plane (the model that I have on 2 guns right now) but my 58 year old man eyes have told me they don't like the first focal plane so I am going with the second focal plane on the new gun with the new Nightforce...hence the reason I am trying to sell the 2 first focal scopes to change to second focal plane..

Either way I would definitely recommend adding the Nightforce NX8 to your choice list
[URL]http://wiseguyscooling.com [/URL]
JuneBug07
AG
I decided to go with a VX6-HD. Thanks for the replies.
montanagriz
S
Trijicon

Good scope reviews on rokslide
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I know you have already purchased, but I will give my recommendations anyways. Simply because I doubt anyone on here owns many or any Leica Rifle scopes.

Leica PRS is an exceptional scope. It has better glass quality than my Nightforce Atacr and NX8. On par with German scopes that cost $3000-4000. It is a big scope. Do not like the turrets or reticle as much as Nighforce, but glass is better. When I bought it, they were only $2000 it was a damn steal

Nightforce NX8 and Atacr are exceptional build quality, have good or great glass. Turrets give good feed back and return to zero. I love the reticles and find that these are my go to scopes for most occasions.

Leupold is decent. I really like the Mk5. I think for size and weight they are very good. Similar to the NX8, maybe slightly better. But not on par with the ATACR. I owned a VX6. It had decent glass, but useless reticle. I sold it for the Eotech Vudu. Vudu was substantially better for my uses.

Eotech Vudu 5-25- best magnification to size of any scope I have ever owned. Compact size and 25 magnification. Perfect mountain hunting scope. Glass quality is similar to Mk5 or NX8. (I ended up selling it for the Leica) I love the Leica, but wish i still owned this scope. I will buy another one.

In the $2000 range NX8, MK5 or Vudu. If you can find a Leica PRS in your price range, you will not be disappointed.
Thaddeus Beauregard
I have several of the Leica ER series scopes made about 10 years ago or so. They have outstanding optics and have held zero. I have no experience with the new Leica scopes but I have other Leica optics and they are as good as optics get. I don't see how their newer stuff could be any different.

I'm not much of a Leupold fan. I've had issues with a few Lepolds not retaining zero.
Aggie Hunter
AG
I have the Swarovski but prefer my nighforce acatr. Also, my turret on my Swarovski only makes two complete circles therefore on my 28 nosler it maxes out at around 850 yards. That may not be a big deal to you but I have shot the nightforce out to 1100 for fun.
Thaddeus Beauregard
Swarovski doesn't make a true dedicated LR precision scope. They offer scopes that provides mid to somewhat long range ballistic compensation for hunting, but if you're buying a scope for dedicated 1k and beyond shooting, you shouldn't be looking at Swaro. There are much better scopes designed for that game, NF certainly being one of them.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Swaro's precision and tactical scopes are kept under their Kahles brand name. Don't want to remind their liberal investors about their Nazi roots.
agracer
AG
The Leupold Mk4HD has the same glass as the Mk5HD.
tcc66
AG
I have several Z5 5-25 BT, 4W Reticle, NIB. I pivoted to the Z5i model and need to sell these. Let me know if interested.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.