Outdoors
Sponsored by

help buying a boat from individual

1,237 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by alittleright
DantheAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to be buying a used boat on Monday or Tuesday from an individual. He still owes money on the boat. What do I need to do to make sure everything is done correctly and title for the boat, outboard motor, and trailer are all conveyed to me. I will be paying cash (should I use cashiers check or just a personal check). What do I need to do to make sure their lien is paid off? What forms from state do I need to fill out?
SteveBott
AG
Is meet them at their bank with exact payoff amount, either cash or cashiers check. Show hi the difference in cash and say he gets that after you take possession.
Gunny456
AG
This about 100 times! The only real safe way to do it.
DVM97
AG
The bank has the title, you must go to the bank and pay the bank the balance. He keeps whatever is left. Otherwise he can take the cash and default on "your" boat.
AgsMyDude
AG
Hopefully he owes less than what it's worth otherwise he has to pay the bank the difference before you can get the title.
TarponChaser
When I sold my previous boat I still owed on it. I had the buyer pay my bank the full amount (it was well over the payoff) and the bank sent me a check for the difference. When the bank confirmed they had the funds the buyer got the boat.
DantheAggie
AG
Thanks for the replies. We are going to meet at his bank so that part should go ok. What all forms from Parks and wildlife do we need?
alittleright
This link outlines the steps.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/owner/buying_and_selling/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.