Outdoors
Sponsored by

Need info on a sword

3,631 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by schmellba99
tjones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found a very rusty sword on our property this evening. I'd like to find out if it's old and valuable or just old and rusty and not worth anything?

Anyone here that I could send pictures to to get information on it?

Thanks!
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
CS78
I know a good bit about pre 1700s stuff but slim chance it's that old. I know some guys that should be able to tell you all there is to know. Send me pics to toledo321 at a0l.c0m. Ill post the pics here for you and see what I can find out.

FYI, if it's in bad shape, its probably not worth a lot of money. The real value is in the history. The vast majority of items get sold at auction with ALL history stripped from them in the process. The fact that you have a known found location makes it really cool, in itself.
cupofjoe04
AG
1. Upload pictures to a hosting site (like Imgur)
2. Post pics here with as much info as you can
3. Watch the OB do its thing
4. ???
5. Profit
tmaggies
AG
Alright peeked my interest please tell more and post some pics!
TRIDENT
AG
Following
maroon barchetta
Sword or bayonet?
BCO07
AG
So, are you gonna post pictures or nah
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
OP, you have stars and can post from your phone. Check it out.

1. Hit reply.
2. Hit the image icon
3. Select photos.
4. Hit post.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
tjones
AG
Here are the pictures...
tjones
AG

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Is your property near Aggieland?
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
CS78
Any remnants of the hilt? Location of property? How was it found?

Would you like for me to post it to this other forum?

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12
tjones
AG

theJonatron
AG
https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-british-wwi-pattern-1895-light-officer-s-sword-and-scabbard-by-wilkinson-sword-company-attributed-to-major-j-s-thorpe-m-c-scots-guard

That's my guess, but the condition makes it hard to tell. I doubt it's worth more than the scrap metal it's on. You can restore it and maybe get a few hundred. Swords are worth a lot when they are in original and good condition
Apache
AG
You didn't find that sticking out of a rock, did you? You might be the true King of England
CS78
Looks like the fullers don't match.
aTm2004
AG
Dang. I was hoping it was a cool sword like the Atlantean sword from Conan. There was a company about 20 years ago that got the rights to make identical replicas to the movie swords and were selling them for $1500. I wish I would have bought one.

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Don't let your memes be dreams dude. You should have one made.
RealBad08
Definitely an infantry type sword due to its straightness. A cavalry sword would have been curved. The sheath looks like it may have been modified; the ball at the bottom of the scabbard doesn't look like any issued US sword. Maybe a fraternal/religious order saber?

Can you make out any stampings or engravings anywhere?
tjones
AG
I was hoping to find some type of markings or engravings on it, but I haven't yet. I guess I need to try to get a lot of the rust off And see if I can't find some markings on it. I don't think me trying to clean it up is gonna hurt anything at this point. it can't look rougher than it already does.
tjones
AG
The acreage is in Williamsin County on Brushy Creek.

The original section of land was given by the government to a soldier who fought in the Texas-Mexican war. We only have 110 acres of that original section.
tjones
AG
I'll clean it up and then post some pictures.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
tjones said:

You may want to keep your cleanup to a minimum if it is a valuable sword.
schmellba99
AG
The double edge and fuller pretty much eliminate most US military issue swords.

If I had to guess, i'd say it's a Pattern 1827 British style. Outside shot it's something like a M1840 Parade Officer's model, hard to say though. How far up from the hilt does the fuller extend on the blade?

Edit -

After seeing that it was land given from the Mexican war, I would guess more towards a Mexican War Presentation Officer's Sword, US Dragoons. Scabbard is somewhat correct for what I've seen online (do a search for that exact sword, my company IT unfortunately puts the kibosh on any site dealing with anything arms related)
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
tjones said:

I'm not an expert in edged weapons, but I know a little about old guns, and I know that the quickest way to destroy the value of an old gun is improperly clean it or modify it. I would probably keep cleaning to a minimum until you get this in front of someone who knows what it is.

And the reason that I asked where your property was located was because that looks a lot like the sabers we used to carry in the Corps.
Aggie1205
AG
Clearly a Norse sword. Most people have heard of the discovery and settlement of Vinland (L'Anse aux Meadows) by Leif Eriksson. Most people haven't heard of the second trip by his brother in law Odd Arriald. He explored all the way down to the modern day Austin area but when he arrived he realized the Comanche had only built one major north/south route through their village not expecting additional people to move there. The traffic on the road was so bad Odd and his party decided to go back to Norway instead.
Gunny456
AG
Not always on the Cav. Issue in the 1900's (1913-1914) to 1935 thereabouts for enlisted cavalryman were the Patton Sword and it was straight and double edged.
TRIDENT
AG
Use electrolysis to remove the rust:

BlueSmoke
TRIDENT said:

Use electrolysis to remove the rust:

I can only imagine how I'd screw that up

Nobody cares. Work Harder
bodaciousbood14
AG
Apache said:

You didn't find that sticking out of a rock, did you? You might be the true King of England

King of the Britons you uncultured swine!
Belton Ag
AG
bodaciousbood14 said:

Apache said:

King of the Britons you uncultured swine!
BlitzGD
AG
Most likely a Masonic Sword or Independent Order of Odd Fellows, both have straight, double edged swords as ceremonial pieces/signifiers of rank.

As stated above, most military ceremonial swords are single edged.
Quarterback can't throw the ball lying on his back.
Dufflepud
If you find a French castle in the area don't remove your helmet.
tjones
AG
Anyone know where I could take it to be looked at? I'm around Austin area.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.