Outdoors
Sponsored by

This is why we don't drive UTVs like maniacs

8,835 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
BCO07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a used polaris ranger back in the spring. Decent price, low hours and I knew the family who I bought it from and trusted that it wasn't abused. The catch, it did spent about 6 months with a 3rd party who did some suspension work and lifted it about 2 inches. The first few times I drove it around on various terrain there was no issue so we haul it down to the deer lease to fill feeders and such. Before loading it down, I checked the max weight and we stayed well under the weight. Fast forward to the end of the day we're about a mile from camp diving a ranch road to the next feeder when there's a sudden bang, a sharp drop on the drivers side front wheel and a sudden 90 degree turn to the left. We end up squaring up a T post on a 5 strand fence. Luckily nobody was thrown out and we didn't snap a wire or things could have been a lot worse. Took little creative problem solving to get it back and now everything is fixed, but it was a bit of good lesson for the boys as to why we treat equipment like that with respect and just because it can go fast doesn't mean that we should. By the look of the cross section, the piston must have had an old crack that finally gave out.

Hoyt Ag
AG
Damn, glad you all are okay. Makes me make a note to go over mine today before this weekends hunting to make sure things look okay. We are heading up to where you saw your most action NE of Segar.
BCO07
AG
taking a ranger up there is way better idea than taking the route we did. I know for sure there at least 1 5x5 up there waiting for you
MouthBQ98
AG
Most of the parts of nearly all of them are made in China or from Chinese steel. QC is not the best. Definitely something to keep in mind.

If driven like you see on TV commercials, none of these things lasts long before breaking or shaking apart.
tmaggies
AG
But prices are crazy!
AgDoug02
AG
We had almost the exact same thing happen to our Ranger this weekend but ours occurred on the right rear shock. It initially popped but it stayed lodged in place. Then when we turned right at the fence line it came out of the housing and we were dead in our tracks. When it came dislodged, it bent the arm on the shifter housing and we couldn't shift any gears. It also didn't help that we had 500lbs of corn in the bed for feeding after our hunt and we were at the very back of our 4,000 acre lease!
SunrayAg
AG
Your problem is it says Polaris on the side…
aggieforester05
AG
I appreciate the utility of side by sides, but I've never enjoyed driving them. As someone who grew up riding four wheelers, jets skis, and dirt bikes on an almost daily basis, side by sides to me have always driven like a lawn tractor to me. They just don't feel like the quality justifies the price. A lot of that could be based on my disdain for CVT transmissions though.
Cowman1
SunrayAg said:

Your problem is it says Polaris on the side…

Yep! Sold all of ours and got Mules.
Gunny456
AG
Co - worker was killed three weeks ago riding a four wheeler. His wife was on the back…. They climbed a steep hill and it went over backwards. His wife was unhurt. Broke his neck and died at the scene.
TX AG 88
AG
My cousin, also an Aggie, was killed when thrown from a 4-wheeler and wound up under it. Be careful out there!
Yesterday
AG
Damn. That escalated quickly.

Speed kills. Take it slow and you can come out of those situations unharmed. Good job OP!
Stat Monitor Repairman

Videos on the two stroke Honda 250Rs that got banned in the 80s made their way into my youtube feed.

Anybody ever have one of these?
Stat Monitor Repairman

Also the mother of all dangerous ATVs the Suzuki 500cc two-stroke 'quadzilla.' Videos of these make me want one.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Videos on the two stroke Honda 250Rs that got banned in the 80s made their way into my youtube feed.

Never owned one but I rode several at a buddy's (also an Ag) place. I know they were prone to tip but if you didn't ride like an idiot and didn't do stuff they weren't meant to do, you'd be fine. We mostly went in straight lines and had small elevation changes (10-ish feet) that wasn't very steep.

In all fairness, had I ridden these things 5-7 years prior, I probably would have been doing some really stupid things with them like I did with my bicycle.

The guy that dressed up as our mascot in HS at games rid one of these three wheelers in our homecoming parade!
txags92
AG

I had a friend that had the 4-stroke 200. We used to ride them in the Hastings oil field between Friendswood and Alvin. He made the mistake of riding out onto an area that looked like a bunch of freshly dumped fill dirt. Instead it was tank bottoms placed on a gravel pad and covered with dirt. He sunk it up to the seat in oily sludge and it took 3 people and another ATC to pull it out.

mrad85
AG

Not exactly like this one, but older and much bigger tires. More like this picture.

Truly a death-mobile waiting to happen, but I guess I was just lucky.
Stat Monitor Repairman

The Honda Odyssey and the Honda Pilot with the knight rider steering wheel seem like the grandfather of the modern side-by-sides.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Wild that there was no suspension on these original three wheelers.
Galt
AG
Had two 250R's and raced competitively from 83-86 on one of them. Fast as a thief and fun as hell. Ran flat-track tires on back rather than knobbies for better slide control. Had started with the balloon-tired, non-suspended 4 strokes since I was 10 or so in the late 70's.

Crazy thing was, the 250R always felt much safer to me than the underpowered ones. Key was that 1) you had to know how to distribute your weight right, and 2) when you felt a lean, giving more power stabilized you. Both are kind of counterintuitive, so lots of people mangled legs on them. You sure enough wanted to invest in a good pair of motocross boots if you were pushing it. And, if you were underpowered, you couldn't jump on the throttle to stabilize, so much more likely to tip over.

Really miss those things! It was very much an early version of drifting.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
That's some pretty good redneck engineering on the repair. Glad nobody got hurt.
RCR06
AG
My uncle had a 3 wheeler. He bought it the last year you could buy one. I can remember driving one of my younger cousins around on it about 2000. Only drove it a few times so I never got a real feel for it.
aggieforester05
AG

I have an '84, unfortunately the motor is locked up right now. I do have an extremely rare Hondaline 300 motor I'm going to swap in when I get around to it.
Centerpole90
AG
I had a 250R when they first came out. Worked all summer to buy it - it was the most amazing machine ever.

I wish I had one now, but instead bought a '85 200X (similar chassis but 4 stroke) to restore. That and a couple ATC70s I found cheap. Instagram is a bad bad thing for a guy who likes 'stuff'.
mrad85
AG

Wild that there was no suspension on these original three wheelers.

Who needs suspension when you can just bounce?
Stat Monitor Repairman

The ATC 250R was peak America.
EskimoJoe

I had a honda 200s when i was 10. Had to have my ear sewn back on. I will have to dig up pictures.
AnScAggie
AG

The Honda Odyssey and the Honda Pilot with the knight rider steering wheel seem like the grandfather of the modern side-by-sides.

I had an Odyssey, it was fun but I never understood why they didn't have a reverse.
BrazosDog02
AG
BCO07 said:

I bought a used polaris ranger back in the spring. Decent price, low hours and I knew the family who I bought it from and trusted that it wasn't abused. The catch, it did spent about 6 months with a 3rd party who did some suspension work and lifted it about 2 inches. The first few times I drove it around on various terrain there was no issue so we haul it down to the deer lease to fill feeders and such. Before loading it down, I checked the max weight and we stayed well under the weight.

This is a huge contributor to suspension failures. People don't understand that there is no reason to lift these damn things. I know it's cool, but the first thing to do when buying one like this; RETURN TO STOCK HEIGHT. I love bagging on engineers but they design these for exactly what you are using it for...normal speeds...working. Modifying them with lifts changes all sorts of mechanics and centers of gravity applying a lot of weight where it wasn't designed to be. We see this in pickups too.

Couple all of the above with the fact that some Bubba somewhere probably did the work himself with parts of questionable origin....yikes.

Glad you are OK. Get that bullcrap off of there and get some stock parts back on. She'll last a lot longer...you might, too.
AgDoug02
AG
Ours came with a "stock" from the factory Polaris lift on it. However, one thing that I did notice is that they put much heavier duty shocks on the new Expedition model that they have out now. I wonder if it's because of the additional weight of the doors and accessories they have on this model? If that's the case, we added full doors to ours and they did have some weight to them.
always gig em
AG
Have a cousin who had this in white, very fast machine. My uncle (his dad) worked for an aggregate company who owned a multi-thousand acre property which was mostly sand they'd let us ride on weekends back in my teen years down in Poteet. One Saturday there my cousin decides he's going up onto this massive mountain of readied sand on this thing which had to be at least 40 feet high but being young and bulletproof he gave it his best and well, you can guess what happened next.

He made it about halfway up, got scared and slowed down to a full stop, stayed there for what was no more than 3 seconds and then proceeds to flip backwards with the 3 wheeler on top of him all the way down, end over end about 5 times. Bike lands fully upright with him on the left side laying flat on the ground facing up, left calf had been fully impaled by the foot peg and somehow had come out cleanly, blood everywhere. We made tourniquets as best we could and got him to a hospital, 30 stitches in total and he stayed the night. He had pain for days obviously but got over it and healed up, some scratches, bruises, and that scar as a reminder to fully commit next time or have there not be a next time. Yes he had on a helmet, and my aunt made him sell that thing a few weeks after.
BCO07
AG
Oh yeah, it's back to stock height with quality shocks all around. The other guy put giant bro tires on it too and I'm sure that didn't help. I pulled those off before I ever took it out there, but I'm sure hot rodding it with force vectors in a direction it wasn't designed for was what caused the initial crack
BrazosDog02
AG
She'll be alright. Glad it wasn't worse. It'll probably be good for years to come now.
Stat Monitor Repairman
https://instagr.am/p/CyJztekxDDf
Hoss
AG
mrad85 said:

Not exactly like this one, but older and much bigger tires. More like this picture.

Truly a death-mobile waiting to happen, but I guess I was just lucky.
We had one similar to this growing up. I used to love riding it on two wheels. The two worst crashes I ever had were on a 4 wheeler though. One of them was the first time I realized that "seeing stars" was a real thing.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.