Outdoors
Sponsored by

Is this a tick?

3,044 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Tarponfly
ocling
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tick?
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Yes
cupofjoe04
AG
Tock
Badace52
AG
Yes that is a tick but would be hard to say what kind with that pic. I'm leaning dermacentor. Did you find it on a dog?
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fullback44
AG
When I was a kid and ran up and down the creeks with my brothers fishing and hunting I pulled hundreds of those little critters off of me …. They liked hiding in your crotch and in your arm pits as well as in your hair …. Sometimes my dad (who is did not smoke) would like a cigarette to blow smoke on them and put the red hot tip on them to get them to Release .. the good old days !
Badace52
AG
The one kind of good things fire ants did was knock tick numbers waaay back.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgTrip
Possums and skunks eat em up
87Flyfisher
AG
Badace52 said:

The one kind of good things fire ants did was knock tick numbers waaay back.

I worked for Dr. Teel doing Tick research while I was a student. Fire Ants and finding calves without any Brahma genetics were our biggest obstacles.
Post removed:
by user
SanAntoneAg
AG
There's nothing quite like waking up at 3:30 a.m. because you feel one crawling on your leg. Stumble into the bathroom, pick it off, drop it into the sink then crush it with the handle of a toothbrush or maybe a deodorant cap.

Then get back into bed and can't fall asleep because it feels like you've got one crawling on your other leg. And arm. And neck. When in reality it's all in your head.
Gig 'em! '90
Post removed:
by user
Allen76
AG
We got these a lot when I was a kid.

Seed Tick..... we would come out of the pasture loaded and there would always be one or two that we did not find until the next day. Itch !
BlueSmoke
AgTrip said:

Possums and skunks eat em up
My aunt always had Guinea hens. They are like tick velociraptors.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Serious Lee
i learned about seed ticks the hard way. took my dog to junction on a hunting trip and he mustve brought back over a 1000 of them.
Post removed:
by user
Tarponfly
AG
Be very careful. I have the dubious distinction of being the first person in Texas officially diagnosed with Alpha Gal syndrome from a Lone Star Tick bite in Kenedy County. I am now deathly allergic to red meat.

Yay, me. It sucks. I hate ticks.
87Flyfisher
AG
Alpha-gal is no joke. I started having unexplained occasional severe allergic reactions in 1998. It wasn't until February of 2021 that I was diagnosed with Alpha-gal. My wife also has it. We probably both got it from Lone Star Ticks at Beavers Bend at different times.

will.mcg
AG
Like your throat closes up & you can't breathe?
87Flyfisher
AG
Yes, and hives, etc..

The last time I went into anaphylactic shock, which led to me finally being diagnosed. No red meat. Also have to be careful with s lot of medicines and vaccines that are made with gelatin and mammal products.
flashplayer
AG
I am scared sh**less of getting alpha gal from a tick bite these days. Cannot imagine a world without red meat or dairy products.

Id have to buy a set of epi pens just to indulge once in a while. Hope they find a way around that one eventually.
EVA3
AG
So is this syndrome related to fly fishing? It sounds terrible!
Gilligan
AG
Dikfer
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
I've asked this before but I still wonder all the time…
With ticks being the disease vectors they are, why isn't/can't there be a monthly pill we take (like we give our dogs) that is just a systemic tick killer?

I hate those GD things.
87Flyfisher
AG
It is from the bite of a Lone Star Tick so any outdoor activity puts you at risk. Theory is that the tick has an enzyme that contains Alpha-galactose. This causes you to develop an allergy to Alpha-galactose, a sugar that is in the cell wall of all mammals except primates.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/27/health/meat-allergy-alpha-gal-cdc/index.html
Rex Racer
AG
I took a wrong path through some brush out at my grandpa's farm once and ended up with hundreds of those crawling up my legs. Dad helped me get them off and then put me in the tub with some dog soap.
Tarponfly
AG
will.mcg said:

Like your throat closes up & you can't breathe?
It is the only food allergy that is not instantaneous. In other words, when I found out that I had an allergy (I have no other allergies) I had eaten a hamburger for lunch that day. The way the allergy works, you must digest the red meat until your body turns the protein into blood sugar. The allergy is triggered by the blood sugar. Thus, it can be 4-6 hours after you eat before it shows up as allergy symptoms. I got home about six hours after eating the burger and went into full anaphylaxis. The doc at the ER told me another 10 minutes and I could not even be intubated. It is a BAD deal.
Tarponfly
AG
EVA3 said:

So is this syndrome related to fly fishing? It sounds terrible!
Oh, and it only affects people who flyfish. Missed that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.