Outdoors
Sponsored by

Speckled Trout Limits - 9/1/2023

4,702 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SGrem
The Catfish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trout limits returning to 5 fish / 15-25 inches starting September 1st. I was personally good with the 3 fish bag, trout have been outstanding this year in the ULM.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/fishing/saltwater-fishing/bag-length-limits/seatrout-bag-length-limits
CorpsTerd04
AG
Happy about this for central coast (Rockport). Glad they actually did sunset the rule. Did not know they were going south of the bridge. I guess things are ok there.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Caught quite a few 16-17" trout this summer on the ULM.

Will go back to catching quite a few 14-15" trout soon.
Gig 'em! '90
lazuras_dc
AG
There's a bunch of guides who spearheaded a petition to keep 3 fish and do 15-20" personally id be good with that too.

rab79
AG
The reduced limit was a political move initiated out of Austin by upper management without input from fisheries management personnel, and had little to no effect on trout recovery from the freeze. Fishermen and guides are always free to set their own more restrictive personal limits, in fact a number of fishermen are voluntary catch and release. At this time there is no reason to believe that either the trout or redfish populations cannot withstand fishing pressure under the existing regulations.
CorpsTerd04
AG
Of course it was especially, above the bridge. We have an elitist problem. Sure those with access to $125,000 bay boats that don't even like to eat fish don't care. They can buy whatever fish or Wagu steaks they want so why eat specs. Lots of people just want to keep a few for dinner off the damn state pier with their kids. They have rights to the fishery too. I am all about necessary limits and I don't keep more than I eat, but this was to discourage what they consider lesser fisherman.

For the record I have a boat in Central Coastal region and enjoy buying Wagu Steaks and Red Snapper for dinner.
Centerpole90
AG
CorpsTerd04 said:

Sure those with access to $125,000 bay boats .. Lots of people just want to keep a few for dinner off the damn state pier with their kids. They have rights to the fishery too.
I'm quoting the part of you post there that got me curiously thinking: here in the LLM I wish there was a way to know the balance of pier/walk in fishermen vs the number on $125k bay boats because it would surprise me if the latter isn't the majority.

I don't say that to take exception or argue, because it is everyone's fishery. Rather it got me to thinking about just HOW MANY boats are out there vs. the limited pier and pubic access in our fishery.
CactusThomas
AG
The 3 fish limit was the gayest thing since GRIDS
SGrem
Having a boat or not doesn't limit anyone from the fishery. Especially on the Texas coast with so much access and opportunity. I don't understand that comment.
I currently run 4 boats. And if you added them alllllll together you wouldn't be approaching $125k.
dahouse
AG
I fish Rockport and Matagorda. Trout still hasn't recovered from the freeze.

I liked the 3 fish limit.

Just my personal experience with weekend fishing at those two locations. Occasional guided trip during the week (April, August, and October).

Before the freeze I could pick up my 5 trout and then hunt reds until it got hot. Doesn't work that way anymore.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
CorpsTerd04
AG
The reference in my case is to describe who is pushing for those regulations. They are the same people who judge folks for the way they fish. Like if you use bait or even gulps you're not a real fisherman. Most of these people did not grow up fishing which is fine. Yes I have been to the Dallas CCA banquet so I have met my share. Oh and before anyone asks I am a lifetime CCA member and support the organization.
rab79
AG
dahouse said:

I fish Rockport and Matagorda. Trout still hasn't recovered from the freeze.

I liked the 3 fish limit.

Just my personal experience with weekend fishing at those two locations. Occasional guided trip during the week (April, August, and October).

Before the freeze I could pick up my 5 trout and then hunt reds until it got hot. Doesn't work that way anymore.
my fishing experience this year is in direct opposition to what you posted. As stated before the reduced limits had little to no practical impact on trout recovery which is dependent on sufficient standing stock biomass of female trout to produce enough eggs to maintain the population. Given the massive reproductive fecundity of trout and onset of sexual maturity at 1 year trout are well equipped to rebound from intermittent mortality events.
docb
AG
I'd say everybody should set their own limits. No need to keep fish just because you catch them. I do catch and release most of the time. Keep a few when you want to eat some.
Indian_Outlaw
Ban guides from using live bait, or just croaker and eliminate 90% of the problem. These guys run two trips a day croaker soaking. This does way more damage to the fishery than anything else.
SGrem
Sorry no. Habitat destruction and environmental impactors resulting in habitat loss does more harm to the fishery than anything else.

I would argue that we don't affect the fishery at all by rod and reel.
CivilEng08
FIDO*98*
AG
CorpsTerd04 said:

The reference in my case is to describe who is pushing for those regulations. They are the same people who judge folks for the way they fish. Like if you use bait or even gulps you're not a real fisherman. Most of these people did not grow up fishing which is fine. Yes I have been to the Dallas CCA banquet so I have met my share. Oh and before anyone asks I am a lifetime CCA member and support the organization.

I'm glad they are raising the limit, but wish they had kept the slot at 17". There's no meat on a 15" fish that's worth killing it over.

None of my f.u. money friends even remotely think that way about using limits and slots to discourage people from fishing. That's the dumbest take I've ever heard and just reeks of jealousy.
CactusThomas
AG
Lots of meat on 15" fish in copano
CorpsTerd04
AG
Believe me I am not jealous at all have no reason read my post. Those people are everywhere I meet them all the time in my circles unfortunately and of course it's not all people with fu money. Many don't really have loads of money it's just a status thing/ego deal. By the way I was good with 3 fish and going back to 15 inches. The meat is better on smaller fish. 3 was plenty for me, just did not like the slot deal. I agree with Sgrem. The main factor is habitat so rule is unnecessary. My beef is with other people like on the thread already putting down the way others fish within our laws. A guide just gives others the opportunity to catch fish. He does not keep them his clients do if they wish. That's their fish and it might be all they get in a year.
CivilEng08
The Catfish
AG
Reality is there are a lot of great guides that do everything they can to preserve our environment and they probably put more time in than most advocating for our fisheries. There also meat haul guides that couldn't care less about anything other than filling a box and getting an Instagram photo. I find there are less of the latter. This same logic applies to the weekender - lots of great people on the water with some bad apples mixed. It's like this in any walk of life.
docb
AG
The fishing will never be like it was 30 years ago. Just a lot more people out there these days and the bays haven't gotten any bigger. I personally like the 3 fish limit but I wasn't sold on the slot size.
SGrem
Always cracks me up when people start pointing fingers at guides. The guides just give their customers what they ask for. So if you are blaming guides be sure to blame all your neighbors, friends, coworkers, and family that hires guides. Take a lil scroll thru your contacts and blame some of them for sure. Lol

Guys it ain't those who keep a ton of fish or catch and release. It ain't croaker soakers or hard-core purists..... if we don't stand together we will lose it all separately.

Do a search for fish kill pics after the freeze. Then do a search of facetard of the hero dock shots with boat limits. One of those pics is super rare isolated event that is seen as end of the world and we all need to react to save the fishery. The other is celebrated with high fives DAILY! HUNREDS OF TIMES up and down the coast. Make no mistake....it's the same picture. One celebrated....one is horrific. Same picture.

Look to who and how and where we are losing habitat and oyster beds.... look to who and how and where we are impacting the estuaries and water quality.

When you really look at the commercial impact you realize rod and reel has no measurable impact.

......neither does limits. People following legal limits that is. The tightening of the daily limits has always led to more tightening of the daily limits. Nothing more. Tightening the limits has never resulted in recovery of the fishery. It's just reactive to a hurt fishery due to habitat loss.... never proactive to actually help the fishery. Because tightening the limits hasn't resulted in recovery of the fishery.

Push back. If commercial impact had the same restrictions I would be all for it. But they only squeeze the recreational angler.
CorpsTerd04
AG
Sgrem your take is 100 percent correct. We keep hammering the recreational guys. It's a drop in the bucket. We are arguing over the semantics of 3 fish or 5 fish. You kill more than that a day handling them unfortunately. Dolphins snatch em up. And then we argue about lures vs bait. We must be together and fight for habitat protections.
SharkinAg
AG
The guides I know that throw croaker were complaining that they killed more fish with the trout slot because of the ones that they caught that were too big or small. Lots of 15-16 inch trout that were gut hooked by their novice clients that had to be thrown back belly up. They had to kill more fish to catch their legal limit.
I grew up fishing the lower coast and the trout bite has been hot this year.
I will say this, it's a lot easier to text your buddies you limited out these days lol. Hopefully the fishery will continue to improve in the coming years.
CS78
3 fish, only 1 over 23".

Everyone gets to have a meal. At 3 fish, you can't hurt the population of small ones. Nobody has to throw back gut hooked fish. If a guy wants to take his kids to fish lights at night, they can actually keep some rather than all being under sized. And, the guides still get to go home early.
SGrem
My trips are not based on how many or when you catch your fish. They are a half day 5 hour fishing trip. If you catch 100 keeper trout in 30 minutes.....you still have 4.5 hour trip left.

Most of my groups catch and release anyway....or just keep a few. I tell my groups to just keep what they can eat in the next 10 days or so. Don't freeze fish. Fishing is too fun! Get out and get another 10 days worth!
AgDad121619
AG
lazuras_dc said:

There's a bunch of guides who spearheaded a petition to keep 3 fish and do 15-20" personally id be good with that too.

should stay at 3. Trout are meant to be eaten fresh - they suck coming out do the deep freezer. Reds hold up much better to deep freezing.
CactusThomas
AG
No one will make you keep that 4th one.
winmck
S
Fishing in Matagorda has been rough this year. Worse than the prior two years and we fish a lot, all artificial. The croaker soakers are out in full force. I would prefer to keep the three fish limit for another year. I've heard lots of debate on what size the slot should be. Personally, I'd like it to be 15-20.
Aggieangler93
AG
I've fished the POC area for most of my life, well, since I was 8. That's almost 45 years of fishing there, and I cannot recall trout fishing being as tough as it is now, in those bays. Other sections of the coast may be almost back to normal, but POC is a long way from it.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
carl spacklers hat
I'd be in favor of keeping it at 3 for two more years south of the land cut. Maybe allow for one +23" to settle down the pushback.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
MouthBQ98
AG
Guides should offer a discount per fish not kept on the bag limit. Not a lot, but they could "buy back" the resource as a group.
SGrem
I offer an artificial only, bring your own gear, catch and release only trip for a significant discount over the full meal deal trips.

But buying back the resource is silly. This is a big ol team of outdoorsman. You either want to release or not. Silly to think you pay him to put you on fish then want him to pay you back for releasing the fish you paid him to help you catch. That's on you not the guide you hired to put yall on fish.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.