Outdoors
Sponsored by

Vegetable Garden

1,841 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BrazosDog02
Blanco Jimenez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're in the Coastal Bend area and just bought a lot next to our house that used to be a garden. I would imagine it is too late to plant anything this year or are there some vegetables we could plant and have ready by fall? I would appreciate any help!
jagsdad
Green beans, okra, squash, cucumbers, peppers to start.
Davanji84
AG
Field/cow peas also

Might have to push the squash hard. Won't be long until vine borers come calling and frustrating.
BrazosDog02
AG
Peppers, beans, and okra. The peppers you are going to try to keep alive until the fall. They do well in the fall once established. Beans might be OK. Okra will be fine. Squash, zuch, cucumbers, tomatoes are going to struggle if not perish from stress as they will likely not have time to establish and get to a size suitable to bear fruits before the blazing texas sun beats down. We are entering into an el nino pattern, so they say which means wetter and cooler...what cooler means remains to be seen.
Doc Hayworth
Set out tomato plants in early July. Heat wave is a good tomato that will produce with 90+ degree days. If you came find them at a nursery get them in the ground now.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Prepare your garden now for Fall- which means you start planting in August. Fall is the best time of the year for Coastal Bend gardening. I've gardened in the Coastal Bend for over 30 years.

Kill grass with Glyphosate, till in some organic matter and prepare beds for planting. Mulch the beds and before you know it, August will be here and you can plant tomatoes, sweet corn, and all the things you typically grow in the spring.

Right now you can plant Okra, and Cowpeas and they will thrive in the heat.

I highly suggest you subscribe to Texas Gardener Magazine. They have a monthly gardening column on what to do in the garden.
Get a digital subscription and you can reference 10 years of back issues.

https://www.texasgardener.com/product-category/magazines/

The best gardening show to listen to is 740 KTRH Gardenline with Skip Richter, Saturday and Sunday 0600-1000. He is a very experienced gardener and a good Aggie.

https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/gardenline-houston/
Bonfire97
AG
Okra, peppers, and purple hull peas are your only viable options this late in the season. Congrats on the new garden plot. Should be great this fall.
will.mcg
AG
I had success with squash & cucumber planting about this time a few years ago. Haven't kept up a garden since then. I'm planning on a fall garden this year & using septic sprinkler for primary watering.
Doc Hayworth
I would think, using septic effluent, you may be risking yourself to giardia infection, unless you have a UV system set up.
BrazosDog02
AG
Doc Hayworth said:

I would think, using septic effluent, you may be risking yourself to giardia infection, unless you have a UV system set up.

Yeah. Don't do this.

If you just insist on using this system, you would be well advised to at least put it on a drip line instead of overhead spraying.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.