Outdoors
Sponsored by

Chicken ID?

2,672 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggie4christ22
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are looking at getting some chickens. Mostly for education and entertainment purposes (fully aware we are not going to be saving money on eggs). Having some layers would be good too.

I am leaning towards getting some bantams. Any recommendations for breeds that are pretty docile or maybe some decent layers. Any good sources for bantam chicks in DFW or North Texas?

Can anyone help me ID the bird below? I believe it's a bantam, but know nothing beyond that.
Irish 2.0
That is a Red Old English Bantam I believe. Been awhile since I've sat in that POSC class. I can text the picture to one of the professors at A&M.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Von Miller should know. Can someone just text him?
rab79
AG
Do you know anyone that ties artificial flies? Because that bird would keep them supplied for quite awhile.
ought1ag
AG
Gallo del Cielo
Centerpole90
AG
ought1ag said:

Gallo del Cielo

Was a rooster born in heaven so the legends say
SA_Ag93
AG
Fresh?
HarleySpoon
AG
That's a Yankee Doodle.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Pretty cock
cupofjoe04
AG
ought1ag said:

Gallo del Cielo

Absolutely epic reference! But technically, this would be a Gallito Del Cielo, because it's a bantum

I guess I could go talk to Carlos Zaragoza to see if he has any more breeders.

concac
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Pretty cock

Small, though.
Irish 2.0
Irish 2.0 said:

That is a Red Old English Bantam I believe. Been awhile since I've sat in that POSC class. I can text the picture to one of the professors at A&M.

Dr. Farnell agrees with me. He's the one that Von always references when he talks about his chicken class
Whitehouse Road
AG
We had 6 Rhode Island Reds before we moved and got an average of 4 eggs a day. We enjoyed them and they were all pretty chill. Would still have them if we could have moved them.
cupofjoe04
AG
Whitehouse Road said:

We had 6 Rhode Island Reds before we moved and got an average of 4 eggs a day. We enjoyed them and they were all pretty chill. Would still have them if we could have moved them.

Appreciate this! Been looking at the Reds
cupofjoe04
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Dr. Farnell agrees with me. He's the one that Von always references when he talks about his chicken class

Thanks so much!!!!! I appreciate it
Cola8d8
In my experience, Buff Orpingtons lay decent and are very docile and the most "pet like" chickens I have had.
EFE
AG
ought1ag said:

Gallo del Cielo
Spoony Love
AG
Bantams are not your choice.

I would second the Rhode Island Reds for laying. If you don't care about docile, Ideal Poultry has a leghorn breed that is a great layer for us. They also have a good mix for sale that will generally be good layers.

If you want cool colored eggs and chickens, wait for some Whiting True Blues. Fantastic looking birds and very good layers. They have some leghorn genes in them as well.
WaldoWings
I tried to buy Rhode Island reds last year but couldn't find any. So I bought Colombian Wyandottes and have been really happy with them. Very gentle and pretty and very good layers.
MROD92
We've had tons of breeds, can be lots of fun. For ease and laying I'd get sex link
MouthBQ98
AG
My Rhode Island reds always laid eggs pretty good, about 4 per week per hen. They are pretty laid back and easy to maintain. Light brown eggs.

I have 2 leghorns. They are more skittish but also easy to keep healthy and are laying machines. About 6 eggs a week per hen when it is warm. Your white grocery store eggs.

I have a new Australorp hen that is pretty mellow, but she's not laying quite yet.
Centerpole90
AG
Another gentle breed: Speckled Sussex are like puppies if you want a gentle hens. Beautiful too.
Justified
I second this. Bantam still has game bird tendencies
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Okay. You guys have me convinced. I live in a small neighborhood with an HOA but I can get away with this. Plan on buying a small coop on Amazon with wheels so I can move it around. Only looking at about 3 chickens. I like the idea of docile and can produce. My daughter wants to play with them but I want the eggs. I just think this would be a great learning experience since I plan on moving to land in about 2.5 to 3 years.

So my biggest question now is where do I get these chickens? I live in Hockley. I will certainly have more questions as I get things set up like feed/water and vessels for all that but just want to know how to even acquire the chickens before I go down this rabbit hole. Thanks!!
Maximus Johnson
AG
Your nearest feed store should have some or at least be able to point you in the right direction.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
My nearest feed store is run by a bunch of a-holes honestly. Lol. They hate people coming in and asking questions. I have heard people ordering online but not sure.
EFE
AG
https://www.idealpoultry.com/

Aggie Owned
Diddler_44
AG
Craigslist
BurnetAggie99
My grandma has Olive Egger Chickens aka known as Easter Egg chickens cause their eggs are green/blue
cupofjoe04
AG
Spoony Love said:

Bantams are not your choice.

Not disagreeing with you in the least, just curious as to why not bantams?
Cola8d8
The closest Tractor Supply should have some now
Centerpole90
AG
If they aren't sold out. Chickens are the hottest ticket in town this year.
Spoony Love
AG
They tend not to be docile. Aren't really known for laying and lay small eggs.

But they are cool looking. Very interesting mixes of colors and styles.
Tony Tedeschi
AG
We have 4 ****oo Maran Hens and they are extremely docile and pretty prolific layers.

aggie4christ22
My neighbor has been hatching eggs (some of mine too) recently and may have some for sale still. I have an incubator but haven't tried to hatch any yet (got it for Christmas and gotta get the baby goats out of the stall with the brooder in it). We're in Montgomery.

Ideal poultry usually has a minimum # for shipping, but we've gotten ours there last two times. I got roos so I can hatch my own next time. I love the Easter Eggers, beautiful colored birds and pretty eggs. Polish are amusing to look at (one of my friendliest birds is one of these). Rhode Island reds are dependable brown egg layers, if not the brightest birds. The white leghorns and Ideal crosses are flighty stupid ones too. Good layers of regular white eggs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.