Outdoors
Sponsored by

Sprinkler PCV valve take off for winter?

1,387 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JSKolache
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was is someone here that posted the picture of their sprinkler system setup with the PCV valve being an entire "take off" type rig they made up?

The in-flow and out-flow water pipes had couplings that allowed the entire PCV valve to be removed, dried out, and stored for winter months.

Going to do this for our neighborhood and want to know what that individual did it.

Thanks
cevans_40
AG
I would think just a couple of unions would do the trick
OnlyForNow
AG
That's basically what it was, but I am just trying to find the guy that posted the picture, to post it again.

Also posted this in Home Improvment.
Charlie Murphy
Seems like overkill though? I would assume most freeze issues are because people just don't know how to drain them.
OnlyForNow
AG
We drained ours this year, took off the pop valve and the stupid POS still froze up and busted.
ought1ag
AG
I feel personally attacked......lol

This year was the first year I did it right though!!
schmellba99
AG
OnlyForNow said:

That's basically what it was, but I am just trying to find the guy that posted the picture, to post it again.

Also posted this in Home Improvment.
That's all it was.

I just did this to the BFP at my mom's house because I had to rebuild the BFP and replace both isolation valves. All it required was installation of 1" PVC unions on the upstream riser and downstream riser. Took longer to go to HD to get the damned things than it did to install them.

Shut off supply water, drain pressure, break unions on each side and take the entire assembly off. After the freeze, reinstall.

Install the unions on the vertical risers, both sides. Doesn't really matter if they are at the same elevation or not outside of looks. Make sure you have an isolation valve on the feed side, otherwise lower the one on the right shown to below the union. My mom's setup had a separate isolation valve so I didn't have to do anything other than install the unions.
howdyags12!
AG

schmellba99
AG
BTW, it isn't a PCV, which is a pressure control valve.

The most common one for residential sprinkler systems is the Febco 765 which is a pressure vacuum breaker (PVB) assembly, which falls under the backflow preventer (BFP) general category.

Boom! Knowledge applied!

drummer0415
AG
It was probably me. I tagged you in our other hangout, but I'll post the pics here as well.

Just put unions on both pipes, and the whole assembly can be removed.

Apache
AG
Quote:

The most common one for residential sprinkler systems is the Febco 765 which is a pressure vacuum breaker (PVB) assembly
Maybe on residential sprinklers in your area.
In the hill country we use DCA (Double Check) backflow assemblies, or if there is a septic system we use RP backflow devices since they are rated for high hazard use & only have to be installed 18" above grade, not the highest head.
schmellba99
AG
Yes, I should have prefaced that with them being most common in my area. Couldn't tell you what other areas gravitate towards.
OnlyForNow
AG
It's the Febco. He and I are in close proximity to each other.

On the isolation valve, it can just be a simple ball valve ya?
schmellba99
AG
OnlyForNow said:

It's the Febco. He and I are in close proximity to each other.

On the isolation valve, it can just be a simple ball valve ya?

Yep, just a run of the mill brass or PVC ball valve. Odds are there is one upstream somewhere already.
JSKolache
AG
OnlyForNow said:

We drained ours this year, took off the pop valve and the stupid POS still froze up and busted.
If it busted, then it wasnt fully drained
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.