Outdoors
Sponsored by

Driving boat up ship channel to sea isle

1,750 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TRIDENT
DantheAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 18.5 boat at my property in Highlands (between Houston and Baytown) and was thinking of taking a little adventure down to my house in Sea Isle Galveston. I plan on stopping in Kemah for lunch. Has anyone done this? I am definitely not some sea captain so wanted to make sure it is a fairly easy ride before I attempt this.
Maximus Johnson
AG
Make sure the wind is not blowing hard before leaving and stay in the channel. You will be fine
fullback44
AG
its not a bad trip, I go from Kemah down there all the time.. just follow the shore on the right side (i got about 1/2 mile off the shore) .. it takes me 30-45 minutes to get down to the inter coastal where you take a right and go under 45... I run about 40 mph in my boston whaler
TRIDENT
AG
That will be an easy trip if the weather is good. Schafer's in Clear Lake Shores is a lot better that any of the Landry's options on the boardwalk, easy to get to and there's always some open slips with free parking.

https://schaferscoastalbarandgrille.com/
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I bet you catch a serious case of five-foot-itis on that trip!
txags92
AG
There are a lot of old pipes and random debris sticking up out of the bottom in the bay between Kemah and Sylvan Beach. I would be inclined to stay within the channel for the most part down through there instead of just randomly picking a course off the shoreline. I also would get your lunch at Topwater Grill in San Leon instead of Kemah. More boat friendly and better food.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Topwater or Pier 6 for lunch. Much easier in and out with the boat.

If you don't know your range really well, maybe bring a full gas can with you.
maroon barchetta
Intracoastal
schmellba99
AG
TRIDENT said:

That will be an easy trip if the weather is good. Schafer's in Clear Lake Shores is a lot better that any of the Landry's options on the boardwalk, easy to get to and there's always some open slips with free parking.

https://schaferscoastalbarandgrille.com/

Is that the old Opus Bistro?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Yes.

New Opus is at South Shore and is great.
Average Joe
AG
I miss Sea Isle. Nice little neighborhood.
DantheAggie
AG
Where can I top off the tank on the trip?
txags92
AG
https://www.eaglepointfishingcamp.com/services.html In San Leon right around the bend from Topwater Grill and just down the shore from pier 6.
Big Country51
AG
Pelican Rest Marina in Offats
ChemEAg08
AG
Make a stop at red fish (aka outriggers or whatever it is known as now)
TRIDENT
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Yes.

New Opus is at South Shore and is great.

The food quality at new Opus is decent but they share a relatively small kitchen with the hotel. The last time my wife and I met another couple there it was really slow, the appetizers took half an our to come out then we placed our entree order just before 8:00 and the food finally the table after 9:00. That's a long time to sit there while you're hungry. It may have been an off night but haven't been back in the last year.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
That sucks. Wife and I have gone several times and never had a bad experience. Hope it was just an off night for them and not a sign of things to come.
TRIDENT
AG
DantheAggie said:

Where can I top off the tank on the trip?
The Blue Marlin is an easy stop in the Kemah channel.

https://seabrookmarina.com/pages/seabrook-marina-fuel-dock
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.