Outdoors
Sponsored by

Let's talk deer protein feeding 101...

2,207 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by skelly02
dr_boogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dad and I have been tossing around the idea of starting to feed protein to increase deer size, fawn survival, and eventually antler size. Have read the TAMU/K article that concludes first evidence of a benefit will be around 2 years by bigger deer and greater fawn survival, but that it could take 5-7 years to see antler improvement.

This property is about a section, located in Coleman county, has 2-3 large stock tanks, one of which is a few acres when full.

We were planning on starting with 3 feeders (200 acres/feeder). Don't want to be filling these every week, so any advice on size would be appreciated. Was thinking about using ~ 1200 lb models. Realize that on a property like this, yes, neighbors will likely benefit greatly from this program. Thankfully we know our neighbors pretty well and we don't have a ton of hunting pressure.

Was going to go with a feeder like this:

texas-hunter-1-200-lb-xtreme-protein-feeder

Questions/advice appreciated on:
1 - feeder type/size - recs other than the Texas-hunter feeders?
2 - I have never used demand/gravity feeders, only timer-controlled corn feeders. How bad will the coons work these over? What about steers/cows - we run stockers part of the year so having to put large enclosures up around these significantly increases the cost and brush clearing and fence building work-load.

We stake our corn feeders down with t-posts to prevent them from blowing over or the cows knocking them over, was going to do the same with these.

3 - favorite pellet type or % protein? Dad's relative owns one of the local feed stores so we get a little bit of break.
4 -what else am I missing or do I need to consider in a "just getting started" program?

Thanks y'all, appreciate the collective advice, know there is a lot of knowledge about this topic here on the OB.
drred4
I have a homemade one that the guy who built it did not want. I generally do not have problems with coons or hogs, but cows if I had any they would sit there till they were full.

I feed 20% from Producers Coop.

In the summer or early spring I would go through 600 lbs a week. I did not feed it much this year as the price was crazy. Hand fed some out everyday along with mineral.

Be prepared to feed more protein than you think possible once they find it and start using. Especially in summer or hard winter months. I am lucky that hogs or coons have not bothered mine, but I am sure they will and then I will have to put in a fenced area.

You could use a solar electric fence. I have had good luck with keeping hogs out of food plots and feeder areas with them.

Hope this helps. Typing quick on the phone.
INIGO MONTOYA
If you have cows - you will need feeder pens.

Have you thought about cotton seed? Easier to fence off cows, no worries about coons, you can put 300 lbs in a simple wire cage.
RMC91
AG
I've had a 1,000lb Texas Hunter protein feeder for about 10 years and added a second one a few years ago. They've been great up until a couple of years ago. Hogs chewed off the bottom of a port and everything came pouring out. I put up hog panels to fix the problem. Then the coons started chewing and made a few holes. I fixed by riveting some aluminum flashing over the holes. Now I regularly check the feeders for signs of chewing and run duke's coon traps around the feeder pretty regularly. While I can't recommend any other feeder since I haven't used any, I'd take a hard look at alternative feeders made of metal.

If you do get a TX Hunter, stake it down. I easily move mine by myself when empty. I also think regardless of feeder brand you need to fence it off if you have cows.

As for protein, I buy the 20% from producers in Bryan (I believe they say 16% is for captive animals). Haven't used anything else so can't recommend an alternative.

I mix corn/protein 50/50 and often lot of protein on the ground. Not sure if that's coons or deer doing it. I think size will be dependent on how often you get our there and deer population/how hard they hit it. I'd start with 3 1,200lb and if they are hitting it hard add a 4th.

Good luck.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
1) look at one of the stand n fill protein feeders. Safer and more convenient when loading 20-24 bags

2) coons love protein and they will be the first animals that have a drastic reaction to supplemental feed (I'm actually being serious - like Chernobyl coons)

You're absolutely going to need a pen around the feeders and big ones. Most of ours are 48x48 and that seems plenty big enough. Use hog panels and one strand of barb wire around top for best results.

3) We've always used Antlermax

4) Be prepared to spend a bunch of money for probably minimal noticeable effects for quite some time. Unless you're feeding a significant amount of protein, you're jot likely to see a massive spike in scores or body weight or fawn survival.

Thoughts and prayers for your wallet
Yesterday
AG
Haven't protein fed yet but noticed this nice feeder on FB marketplace for a good price.
ATXAdvisor
AG
After spending thousands of $ over 10 years on two properties (2k low fenced and 1.5k high fenced acres), I don't think you can feed enough protein to make a difference without keeping the deer in feeding pens that control everything they eat. Effort is better spent on habitat and doe:buck ratios, imo. YMMV.
skelly02
skelly02
AG
We are in brown county. We got some crossfire from j and l. 2000 lbs. we fill them a few times per year, which is a chore. They will fill them for you for a fee. We've been happy with the feeders- they're bulletproof.

Agree with feed pens. They're needed to keep pigs and cows out
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.