Outdoors
Sponsored by

NightVision vs (Inexpensive) Thermal

2,621 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JeremiahJohnson
mt3950
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know no thermals are inexpensive, but would I be better off going entry level thermal over a good night vision optic? Will primarily be used hunting hogs in/around east Texas. Pine tree surrounded shooting lanes that are approx 125yds x 15yds wide.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
The sub 2k thermals just are too grainy to me. Best combo to keep it in budget is a pard or wraith on the gun and then a scout tk for scouting. Keeps you under 2k by a fair margin and the best of both worlds
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Ag_07
AG
If you're in ETX and hunting pine forest I wouldn't even bother with anything to scout with.

At least our pine forests are so thick you can't shoot anything unless it's in your lane anyways so a thermal monocular to scout with is kinda pointless. It's not like a field or something where you're scanning to find pigs.

For our place once they scatter into the woods they're gone.
mt3950
AG
More or less the same at my place.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
The other thing if you are hunting in a lot of brush, digital nightvision uses an IR illuminator. If you are deep in it, you'll get a lot of reflections back that can hinder things.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Night vision monocular or binos for navigation and thermal for killing animals or detection.
Vae Victis
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Hogster R25 is within that 2k reach of budget.
Vae Victis
skelso
AG
For what you described, digital NV should be sufficient. If you are hunting feeders in shooting lanes, put IR on your feeder to eliminate the wash from reflection off brush.

You'll see animals with thermal that you will miss with NV (analog or digital) but the price difference to a quality thermal is significant.
08N.Ftw.Ag
AG
Following. Been thinking about a clip-on thermal for etx hog hunting
skelso
AG
In my opinion, after years of selling the stuff, dont go clip on. Buy a good thermal scope with a quality QD mount. Put your glass optic in a QD mount and swap back and forth as needed. You'll be much happier in the long run.
BCStalk
skelso said:

In my opinion, after years of selling the stuff, dont go clip on. Buy a good thermal scope with a quality QD mount. Put your glass optic in a QD mount and swap back and forth as needed. You'll be much happier in the long run.

This. I swap back and forward between a LPVO and thermal. When I am heading out to my spot, I mount my glass on the correct spot and the thermal on the handguaurd for easy carrying. Once night rolls around, I switch out
mt3950
AG
Recommendations on a decent thermal that won't break the bank? I'm not opposed to buying something that is nice and will last, but I'm not looking to be the next staffer for Ultimate NightVision either…
08N.Ftw.Ag
AG
Thanks for rec. don't want to regret my choice after spending good $$ either way
skelso
AG
I sell most brands and I choose to hunt with a trail 2 XQ50. My reasoning is I like the LRF function, I have enough time behind the eyepiece to make fairly educated decisions about targets, and I'm budget conscious.

All of that said, the picture of a 640 core will always beat a 384, 360, or 320 core. I cant justify the cost difference for myself.

You cant go wrong with a Pulsar Trail in either model. Backorder time is 60 - 90 days though.

There's a relatively new player to the market that I have been impressed with - Iray. Comparing comparable models between their Rico line and Pulsar's trail line, the Rico has better picture quality hands down. Their cost is slightly less and their warranty is better - 5 years compared to 3 years, and they have a 5 day turn around guarantee.

The Hogster and super hogster are decent optics as well.

I'm not a fan or ATN products or the company due to how they treated customers and dealers several years ago.
Hanrahan
AG
I have a trail XP38 (the 640 res) on a suppressed 300blk and just got a new axion XQ38 monocular (just a 384 res and color). Its a deadly combo. SOOOO much better not trying to scout with a scope attached to a heavy rifle.... the monocular is so damn small and the picture so damn good for less resolution of the trail, now I want to upgrade my scope to the new color version. I didn't see a use for the LRF, I'm usually not taking shots over 75 yards at night anyway. I just kinda assume they are all within the margin of error putting them right on the cross ranged at 100 yds.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I will be having a wraith 4K max for sale in the next day or so

I really liked but it didn't have the right eye relief for my pistol with a folding brace

Email in user info
1991sir
I hunt in east Texas too… what I did, I bought a sightmark wraith and a coyote cannon IR… and a hand held AGM micro for scouting.I love it.. all in I'm at 1,100
skelso
AG
Did you try the bolt action mount we talked about?
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
My wife finally said she doesn't like the scope

This a 6.5 G pistol and she said she wants a normal scope
mt3950
AG
Can you please email me at yukon medical at g mail dot com? Had some further questions about thermals and wanted to check and see what you have in inventory.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I mean this is the OB. We should be recommending things 3-4X the budget.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.