Outdoors
Sponsored by

Always be careful when working alone

3,634 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Touchscreen
AgsMnn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Parents told me a Dime Box man died Wednesday while moving a hunting stand with a tractor front loader. Not sure if the wind was a factor or not, but it was pretty windy yesterday. Evidently his brother or BIL told him to wait till this weekend so he could help move it.

Just be careful and never hurts to wait for help. Never know when something will happen, especially when the weather is not great.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Yup, knew him pretty well. He was 64 and someone very experienced with equipment and a huge hunter. What I heard was the stand fell back onto him while he was on the tractor moving it. A couple Somerville park rangers found him I think. Still trying to get the exact story, but letting a little time pass before asking around too much.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
That is terrible. It is always better to wait for some help and have someone there with you.
I tell my son all the time to never work alone on certain tasks. Especially working cattle.
confucius_ag
AG
They just had his mother's funeral and this happened the day after. Very sad.
AgsMnn
AG
He did some septic work for my parents a while back.
Cen-Tex
AG
There were 4 tractor fatalities in and around Fayette County last month (Sept). One occurred while moving a deer stand and the others were run over while either starting the tractor in gear or working on the machine.
Texmid
AG
Cen-Tex said:

There were 4 tractor fatalities in and around Fayette County last month (Sept). One occurred while moving a deer stand and the others were run over while either starting the tractor in gear or working on the machine.
The man who owns the Subway franchises in LaGrange, Smithville, and a couple other places was one of them. He was a great man. His son-in-law used to be a profession motocross racer.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Texmid said:

Cen-Tex said:

The man who owns the Subway franchises in LaGrange, Smithville, and a couple other places was one of them. He was a great man. His son-in-law used to be a profession motocross racer.
He owned the Giddings one also
Apache
AG
A client of mine about 6-7 years ago sold his business & was building his retirement home with his wife on 60 acres in Dripping Springs. Gorgeous place on a spring fed creek. He was moving a 16' gate on a bucket loader & hit the side of a building with the gate. Gate got shoved back into his head & he was gone.
This was about a month before they were to move in. Just terrible.
Cen-Tex
AG
All tractor accidents are terrible. The ones that I hate to hear about are when children are killed while riding with dad or grandpa. Also when a person falls from a bucket while using it as a work platform instead of a ladder. PTO entanglements and getting run over by a shredder also rate pretty high.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Really only takes seconds to happen and there are many of us that say "I'll just get it done real quick". So sorry to hear about these stories.
SoTxAg
AG
Tragic. One of dad's good friends died a couple months after retiring in a tractor accident.
SMM48
AG
that's sad.
texag_89
Cen-Tex said:

All tractor accidents are terrible. The ones that I hate to hear about are when children are killed while riding with dad or grandpa. Also when a person falls from a bucket while using it as a work platform instead of a ladder. PTO entanglements and getting run over by a shredder also rate pretty high.

This one was a bad as it gets... 2012 and the boy was in my daughter's class... tore the class up and really caused a lot of grief in a very close farming community.

Couple of posters here that might be related to this family from that part of Tom Green County.

Still hurts and my daughter still talks about that loss.

https://archive.gosanangelo.com/Services/include.ashx?domain=www.gosanangelo.com&file=wall-boy-dead-after-bee-attack-ep-440566634-357170261.html
MemphisAg1
AG
Had a work colleague a few years ago that decide to cut some limbs off a big tree in his yard. Went next door and asked his neighbor if he could borrow his ladder. He said "sure, it's in the garage. Grab it, I'll get dressed and come over to help you." The guy started cutting before his neighbor arrived. He positioned himself under the limb, and it fell differently than he expected. Hit him in the temple and killed him before his neighbor could arrive. 60+ years old, knew the ways of the world, but got in a hurry, made a bad choice on where he positioned himself, and didn't wait for the help that was coming. Tragic.
DTP02
AG
My dad was clearing some trees by himself on our land and cut a big limb that got hung up in some branches and swung back at him with the sharp cut edge catching him in the quad and cutting him to the femur. He tied a tourniquet and dragged himself to the closest neighbor about a half mile away over rough ground. They heard him yelling before he passed out about 75 yards from their place and got him to the hospital.

The doc estimated he was less than one pint of blood away from certain death after they saved him.

I sometimes do some fairly heavy work alone up on our property, but I've got a deal with my wife where I check in before and after anything that might be dangerous, and if she doesn't hear from me she's supposed to call the cavalry.
Mas89
AG
I've seen several and heard of more local farm equipment accidents. I'll say all tractor related accidents are less severe in a cab tractor. Lots of protection for the operator and one more reason to get the cab if considering. The fatalities listed above involving front end loaders possibly would have been just an injury on a cab tractor. My roll over accident stopped when the cab roof hit. Without the cab it quite possibly could have rolled on top of me.

The worst was a two year old that jumped off a riding mower while it was turning and lost a foot. Never have a child riding on a mower with the operator.

bam02
AG
Damn. This thread is a tough read but I appreciate the reminders and the lessons. Prayers for those affected.
jtp01
AG
Working alone on the farm is a given. Even my off farm job I'm usually alone.

My 13 year old has been drilled into him about tractor being in park and only starting from the seat of the tractor. I made an oops the night of the Alabama game. After the game I went to bale hay until about 4:30 am or so. When I stopped the tractor, I didn't put it in park. I found it the next day and used it as a teaching moment for both of my sons.

Thoughts and prayers for the family of this man!
John1248
AG
Mas89 said:

I've seen several and heard of more local farm equipment accidents. I'll say all tractor related accidents are less severe in a cab tractor. Lots of protection for the operator and one more reason to get the cab if considering. The fatalities listed above involving front end loaders possibly would have been just an injury on a cab tractor. My roll over accident stopped when the cab roof hit. Without the cab it quite possibly could have rolled on top of me.

The worst was a two year old that jumped off a riding mower while it was turning and lost a foot. Never have a child riding on a mower with the operator.

Yeah, guys are always trying to push over dead trees with their open station tractor and front end loader. I know one man who died and one who has been paralyzed since I can remember from a big limb or the top of the tree falling on them and pinning them to the tractor.
Touchscreen
AG
I lost a cousin who was digging post holes by himself. Not sure what he was doing, but he ended up getting a pants leg caught by the PTO shaft. His wife found him on the ground next to the tractor. He had removed his belt and was trying to use it as a tourniquet prior to losing consciousness and bleeding out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.