Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pork butt

6,924 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Old Sarge
TH36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I picked up a 8lb Boston Butt this evening to smoke on Sunday. Pulled pork sandwiches is the end result I want.

Cooking on Traeger. What temps and time should I go with? Also purchased one of those smoke tubes this evening and a thermopro thermometer so I'm ready to do some longer cooking then I've been doing.
Bird Poo
AG
I do them at 225 on my rec tec because its a longer smoke = less fat and more texture.

I would anticipate at least 12 hours for internal to get to 200.
BCStalk
I just did an 8 pound pork butt last weekend. I had a grate temp of 250 and started at 5:30am and pulled at 4pm. I do wrap in butcher paper at 170.

ETA: Pulled at 200
bam02
AG
I did one on a Traeger recently at 275*. Came out great!
SECond2noneAgs
AG
CowtownJD
250 to an internal temp of 190-195. Pork butt is one of the most forgiving meats to smoke.

Enjoy...they are awesome!
Buford Tannen
AG
Low and slow. Let it rest when it hits desired temp.
smstork1007
AG
250-275, no need to go lower with pork imo. https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/pulled-pork This is a great one to follow, as are most of his recipes, along with anything from Franklin.
dr_boogs
AG
Just follow the Franklin YouTube video. Btw his vinegar sauce is legit.
AggieStan
Traeger app is your friend! Download, use their recipe/follow
Bobcat-Ag
Cut it into thick slices and smoke some pork steaks!
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I cook mine at about 350 on the PBC. 8lb butt usually cooks in about 6 hrs. Cool to internal temp of 200, then pull and let it rest for 30mins-1hr wrapped in a cooler.

Then get out the wife's kitchen aide mixer. Cut into chunks and toss in the mixer to pull apart.

tsuag10
AG
I'm sure I'll get some push back from some here for this recommendation, but if you're wanting pulled pork sandwiches, I won't ever do it different than this.

1. Carefully debone the pork butt if needed.
2. Determine the direction of the muscle fibers and cut ACROSS the grain into 2 inch slabs.
3. Season with desired seasoning.
4. Smoke at 250 (anywhere in the 225-275 is fine) for 4 hrs at most. You might be able to do less if you get a lot of smoke on it.
5. Wrap in foil and put it back on the same heat until internal temp of 200-205 is reached.
6. Remove from heat and let rest for 30-60 min.
7. Shred the pork and make some damn good sammiches.

I love this method because you don't end up with the long stringy pieces of pork in your sandwich. And you can get more seasoning and more smoke due to the increase in surface area.

I thought I was crazy the first time I tried it, but it's a crowd pleaser every time and it's so much easier than all the time it takes for a whole butt.
AnScAggie
AG
I have a BGE and I do 250 for 5 hours, then wrap twice in foil and put it back on for ~3 hours. Rest, then shred.
Get Off My Lawn
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Then get out the wife's kitchen aide mixer. Cut into chunks and toss in the mixer to pull apart.
maddiedou
AG
tsuag10 said:

I'm sure I'll get some push back from some here for this recommendation, but if you're wanting pulled pork sandwiches, I won't ever do it different than this.

1. Carefully debone the pork butt if needed.
2. Determine the direction of the muscle fibers and cut ACROSS the grain into 2 inch slabs.
3. Season with desired seasoning.
4. Smoke at 250 (anywhere in the 225-275 is fine) for 4 hrs at most. You might be able to do less if you get a lot of smoke on it.
5. Wrap in foil and put it back on the same heat until internal temp of 200-205 is reached.
6. Remove from heat and let rest for 30-60 min.
7. Shred the pork and make some damn good sammiches.

I love this method because you don't end up with the long stringy pieces of pork in your sandwich. And you can get more seasoning and more smoke due to the increase in surface area.

I thought I was crazy the first time I tried it, but it's a crowd pleaser every time and it's so much easier than all the time it takes for a whole butt.

I dont understand this. Am I cutting at 2 inch slabs and then put the slabs back together and then cook. How do you keep the butt together if you have sliced it all the way thru

bam02
AG
I am guessing he throws all the chunks into a pan and smokes em. Sounds like an interesting way to try.
Rattler12
If it has a bone leave it in. It's an effective temp gauge. When it releases easily and comes out clean the pork is ready for shredding. 2 kitchen forks work well. Main reason I do bone in picnics. It doesn't take 12 hours. At 170 boost the heat to 350 or so to get past the stall then let the temp drop back down to 250/275.
The book Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing by Ruhlman and Polcyn has an excellent recipe for the pulled pork sauce. Buy the book....you won't regret it
Max Power
AG
Best to get done early and let it rest for at least a couple of hours. I wrap it up in foil, then put in a towel lined cooler to rest. Can sit in there for hours and will be ready whenever you're ready to eat.

Good lord I've got to use my wife's stand mixer to shred it, note to self.
AG
Inject and rub, refrigerate overnight for 12 hours
Smoke at 240 (1hr-1hr 15m per lb)
Wrap at 160
Pull at 205
Rest in cooler for 1-2 hours
Serve
Ag_07
AG
Some of y'all overthink it. Pork is so forgiving

Rub it with whatever you decide on, smoke it at 250-275 until it reaches 200-205, then pull it and shred it

Put a pan underneath it to catch the dripping and pour that on top of the shredded meat.
tsuag10
AG
No, I lay them each out on the smoker rack and cook them like normal. The only difference is they cook a lot faster and get more smoke. When I wrap, I put them together most of the time.
The_Waco_Kid
AG
If I have to be away the whole day, I'll cold smoke the night before and throw it in the crock pot on low for 8-10 hours. If there's an Aggie game on and a 24 pack with my name on it in the fridge, it's time for a 225 smoke with lots of mesquite and some apple to finish. Score it, put unsweetened apple sauce over the whole thing, and a drip pan underneath. 45 minutes before its done, remove the pan, add a splash of vinegar, a splash of bourbon, the remainder of the rub, and tomato paste. Mix it all together, and simmer for 30. Pork gets shredded and tossed in the sauce.
ConstructionAg01
AG
If you want to cut the cook time in half and increase the area of the bark, butterfly the pork butt.

And the stand mixer method to shredding is absolutely the way to go. Use the white arrowhead shaped attachment on low or 2nd to low speed. I typically smoke 3-5 pork butts at a time and shred them, then vacuum seal into 1.5 lb packages and we eat on those for months. The stand mixer cut that process time in half.
CowtownJD
So how'd it turn out?
maddiedou
AG
Well nothing ever goes as planned when I try to BBQ.
But it worked out and I took everybodys idea from here and both videos

Saturday night cut 6 slits in pork butt and put olive oil salt and pepper garlic onion powder and stuck a shiskabob stick thru to keep together

Sunday

9.7 pounds. Started masterbuilt at 615 at 240 and put meat on at 645
Fatside up

At 5 hours in. I flipped and took brown sugar and rubbed and two sitcks of butter cut in threes and put on top of the brown sugar

Unwrapped

This is where i suck. Never got above 150 so I did what the other poster said and raised temp to 350

Well it finally got to 170 and so i dropped back down to 270
Maybe one degree every 10 min

Now i am in my 10 hour range and just one dgree
So this back and forth of raising temp and lowereing it

8 oclock i pulled at 202

My family hates pulled pork. Best pulled pork they ever had
So much juice and definitely taste the spices

So now I know to start earlier maybe even the night before at 225 and then crank up to 250.
John Cocktolstoy
4:30 and I see this! Great! Dinner cannot get here quick enough.
Superdave1993
AG
Late to the party, but Ag 07 is right. It is really hard to mess up a pork butt and are cheap enough that you don't cry if you do.

I rinse, pat dry, slather in cheap yellow mustard as a binder, and cover heavily with rub. I mean layer the rub on heavy. Throw it in around 250 and let it ride until about 200 internal, pull it off and wrap in foil then an old towel and throw it in a cooler to let it rest for 30 min to 4 hours. I don't wrap mine because the family fights over the crunchy bits.

The wife and kids are picky about fat, so when I pull most of the bad fat out gets tossed out and call it good. If you go too hot throw the juices or a bit of vinegar based sauce on it and it will help cover any dryness.
Whoop Delecto
AG
TH36
Sitting at 182 right now. Been on since 8:30 last night.
maddiedou
AG
I am asking because I may do this next time but at 1/2 way i have to do the brown sugar thing

What is your temp and has it been the same temp all night or pretty close

Also I would like to know when yours finally hots 200 or whatever number your going for

Thanks and I know you cannot screw up pork butt but I like info for the next time
Superdave1993
AG
I am interested as well. I have not done a butt like this, but I picked up a discounted beef roast one day and did it about the way I do 3-2-1 ribs.

After 3-4 hours I was just going to wrap in foil to keep it from drying out. I took a leap and used honey, brown sugar, squeeze butter and a little cayenne. Took it almost to temp, and then unwrapped to let the glaze set and it turned out pretty dang good for an experiment. I just get lazy with pork butts and have not tried it on one of them yet.
TH36
Just pulled it 30 minutes ago. Took about 13-14 hours at 250 on the Traeger to reach internal temp of 200. When I pulled it to wrap it and put in cooler it was falling apart trying to get it off the grill.
TH36

Ag_07
AG
So I'm surprised at how many wrap pork butts.

I don't typically wrap pork butts because they're so forgiving and the crust with the moist meat and fat is amazing.

To avoid a stall that's too bad I just cook at 275, don't open the pit, don't spritz, don't rub with anything else. Just keep it at 275 and even over a bit.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.