Outdoors
Sponsored by

Honey Locust Desk (Agrams wood)

4,931 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BlueSmoke
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This wood has been sitting around a few years as extra from some other projects, but finally got a good project to use up a few more pieces.

Going through the pictures, this may be the most documented, tedious build I've done in quiet a while.. so this may end up a multi post walkthrough:

The concept model:

Everything started with a few rough slabs 2" thick:

I cut the pieces for the top and then milled one side flat so I could plane it and square them up:

squared and flattened (on one side)

time to plane them down to the same thickness:

joint test:

Then to start cutting up the remainder of the slabs for the cabinets and panels:

I originally wanted to make the panels single piece, but ripping 2" thick, 20" wide pieces down I found they had some bow as they were cut and the stress relieved in the wood, so that wouldn't work. So i decided to then bookmatch/butterfly all of the wood and do the line of symmetry at the center of each panel:

Then to cut up all of the framing:

I wanted a little more detail than just a simple raised panel in a frame, so I did a beader jack-mitre joint, which ive done sparingly in the past, but doing this many on this large of a scale with not much extra material, proved to be by far the most painstaking part of this project:

And with thicker corner legs, this led to some interesting joinery in the corners:

and the center panel dividers were just as tedious:

texrover91
AG
That' was a big damn locust - how old?

Great work!
agrams
AG
post 2...

testing the frames and joints:

Then to cut up and shape the panels:

as you can see in the background, I profile the end grain first, that way when there is the inevitable tearout it will get cut up when I cut the panels to width or when the shaper cuts the longitudinal grain edge:

dry run:

before gluing up the raised panels, I pre-finish them. Wood moves and the panels float in the frames, so if you finish them after you install them they may move and expose an unfinished line of material. You dont glue the panels in location as then they can fight the frame and the panel can swell and break the joint of the frame.. bad juju.

But to ensure they don't rattle, small rubber balls (literally called 'space ball') are put in the panel groove to stop any rattling panels. A few things are also happening in the picture too. The jack miter joint requires the tenon to be substantially longer than the width of the bead profile, otherwise it will be cut off and you have no tenon length when you cut the joint. but this means that the mortise depth is deeper than a normal raised panel lip is designed to accommodate (roughly 1/4"). So the slot has to be bead width+spall ball diameter (3/16" on a 1/4" space ball for ~1/16" of crush). But this means there is too much depth in the slot for the normal raised panel to sit and the space balls would fall down and not engage the bottom of the mortise and the panel edge. So a makeup piece is cut and put in the groove to give the space ball proper engagement with the raised panel.... what a pain..

pre-finishing the panels:

gluing up the side panels first

then the full cabinets

in there somewhere is the front 1/3 height panel.. but its just more of the same..

agrams
AG
adding a small chamfer accent on the outside corners of the cabinets once glued up.

then to start on the toeboard and head trim. I ripped all the material up, cut the pieces and mitered them at the corners, but the I wanted to do a small cutout accent in the bottom. This was changed from the original model as it gave a route to run cables in to the cabinets that we would not have had otherwise..

so cutting the profiles. Why drill two half circles when you can clamp two boards together and do one single circle...

then to notch them and set the flat section.. which I then cut all that extra material out..

and ta-da.

now some top trim.

agrams
AG
next was to start on the drawer.. and lots of dovetails...
get stock material glue/cut it up:

and dovetail the crap out of it..

If you look carefully, you can see the two drawers I screwed up in the previous picture:
I cut the pins and tailed backwardson these.. so in to the burn pile and start over on them...

and make lots of boxes...

then time to cut up material for the drawer faces..

I ran in to the same issue on the larger drawers I did with the panels when I was ripping down the 2" thick base material. They bowed as they were cut and had too much flex to be flat enough. So instead of bookmatching them like I did the panels, I just ripped them in the middle, squared those two edges, then glued them back together, so I lost 1/8" of material in the middle, but the grain lines back up when glued back together.

Originally we planned to do a drawer below the trim on the front, but this took up too much space between the chair and the desk in my opinion, so we turned the trim in to the drawer face, which kind of makes for a hidden drawer

agrams
AG
next was to finish up the top and sand everything down to start finishing.

With the center section being a drawer, this created the challenge that the two end cabinets now did not have the hard rail between them setting their distance apart, which could affect the middle drawer guides if they weren't set up perfectly, which i could do the first time, but I didn't want someone else having issues if they took the desk apart and moved it and had to reassmble it. So I set dowel pins in the cabinet (along with the bolts that fasten to the top) and these set position on mating holes in the underside of the desktopL

The edge of the slab was damaged enough that it had to be cleaned up (lest the owner want perpetual splinters in their clothing) but we still wanted a natural edge. So I sanded it down, burnished it with a torch, then went to town with a wire brush to roughen it up some and add texture back to it:
Big Shoulders
I just want to say I find this fascinating, and I even understand a few of things that you wrote.
agrams
AG
and finally the finished product..

the top right drawer had a charger/outlet in the back, and also took some crafty cable management to ensure the cable doesn't cause issues when opening/closing the drawer:

The bottom drawers have incorporated metal runners for hanging file folders:

all drawers are full extension, with the top 5 being soft close:

integrated cable management so if you get power from either side you can route it all the way to/from either side. I find just screwing velcro strips make very simple, functional items for securing and holding cabling:

The top drawer almost seems like a hidden drawer given how it is from the trim and recessed another inch in:

not to be confused with the intentionally hidden drawers which are incorporated in to the toeboard:

and I think I've spammed this thread enough for now...
Baron von Bulsh
You truly are an artist
TAMU77CLAY
AG
have admired your work for years and this is no different. Hope I'm not being a Debbie downer but wanted to inquire if you do cremation urns? Series of events lately has me doing estate planning as well as funeral wishes. Would enjoy a fellow Ag built my final resting place on my hearth. Please advise if you do this type of work
ChemAg15
AG
Incredible. How many hours did this take?
tx1c
AG
According to the time & date stamp on his posts, it was a little more than half an hour.
tx1c
AG
Baron von Bulsh said:

You truly are an artist
Yes, incredible work.
Oso96
AG
You have incredible talent. I can't help but hear Norm Abram's voice as I read your comments.
Howdy Dammit
AG
How does the cable management work without access holes on the actual desktop?

Incredible craftsmanship though.
big ben
AG
Yeeeaaaahhh, that is something I could never build, good job
S.A. Aggie
AG
You are the wood master!!! I am in awe of your work. Have you ever worked with Osage?
AggieRob93
AG
agrams said:

and I think I've spammed this thread enough for now...
No, that could never happen; the work you are performing and sharing is fantastic. Need MOAR!!!
Aggieterri
AG
Outstanding work. You are one hell of a craftsman The ONLY thing that would make that desk any better, would be ATM on the front panels
DrEvazanPhD
Just wow.
dtkprowler
AG
If you need any more honey locust.... I've got you covered here in East Texas
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
I know a fat old lawyer in Dallas who will love this desk! Nice work, my man! Can't wait to see it in person.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
You are truly blessed with knowledge and skill, please continue to share.
But if I could make just one piece of furniture at that level, I might have to call it for a lifetime.
agrams
AG
I have worked with osage some, but not much beyond small items.

chemag, maybe 50-60 hours in between other projects, starting around February.

77clay, I've done boxes as urns, but never had anyone ask for a turned piece, but that wouldn't be too hard. my main issue is just time. I'm slammed.

rover91, these slabs were max about 144" long and the widest was about 28" wide. these came out of a sawmill from Pennsylvania. I bought the whole tree of slabs for a discount. I think it was about 10 slabs total.

on another note, I am working on finishing a table from the last 2 large slabs from the honey locust.

Zumwalt601
AG
What do you charge for a desk like this one
Dallasag517
AG
That is absolutely stunning. Congratulations and very well done on your hard work. Wow. On top of that, a very fitting end to a honey locust tree as far as I'm concerned.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Dallasag517 said:

That is absolutely stunning. Congratulations and very well done on your hard work. Wow. On top of that, a very fitting end to a honey locust tree as far as I'm concerned.
I agree. Notice that those damn devil thorns are nowhere to be seen, although I had a guy tell me a few years ago that they're hard enough to use for nails, although I'm not sure how you'd hammer them.

Speaking of osage, I'd say that's about the hardest thing I've ever cut with a chainsaw. I'm sure it gives woodworking tools a workout, too.
agrams
AG
Ribeye, I did some projects out of ipe wood and it is about 50% harder than osage. was insane to work with and dulled everything.

zumwalt, there are a ton of variables, but most desks I've made have been in the 1500-4000 range, with a few hitting 8-10k (mainly driven by material costs).

this desk material was moderate in price, but a lot of labor on the details and milling all material from rough slabs.

some desktops can easily hit 3k or more if you are looking at exotic, figured woods (curly walnut being a popular option).

I have material for a few more desktops on hand, some single slabs, some bookmatched tops, in cherry/walnut/figured maple/mesquite)
agrams
AG
i missed your question: there are recesses cut into the underside of the slab that span across the from center panel so you can route cables through and don't see them unless you are under the ground looking up.

Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Finally got around to adding the leather handles. Next step in perfecting this beauty is making a matching leather desk pad.

agrams
AG
looks sharp!
kyledr04
AG
Amazing desk.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
agrams said:

Ribeye, I did some projects out of ipe wood and it is about 50% harder than osage. was insane to work with and dulled everything.
I had never heard of ipe wood until earlier this year when I was speaking with the contractor who is supervising the rebuilding the historic Waco suspension bridge over the Brazos river.

Apparently the decking will be made out of the stuff, and he said it's the toughest wood he's ever seen.

I suppose there are a few other 'tough' woods out there as well. I had a mulching contractor tell me he did a place with some trees that gave off sparks when the mulcher head hit them. I don't know how they prevent fire in that case.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your projects here. I always get a kick out of them.
Naveronski
AG
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

Finally got around to adding the leather handles. Next step in perfecting this beauty is making a matching leather desk pad.

I love how agrams shows us the velcro for cable management and here we see... how the end user does things differently.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Naveronski said:

Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

I love how agrams shows us the velcro for cable management and here we see... how the end user does things differently.
I haven't setup the cable management stuff yet because I'm waiting for a new monitor . . . and I'm lazy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.