Outdoors
Sponsored by

Chisos Boots - review

7,991 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by powerbelly
tamc91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know there have been past posts about handmade boots. I checked with a couple and the waiting list and / or styles weren't ideal considering the cost. However, I continued to be frustrated with poorly made, yet overpriced boots from the typical western store. Mixed reviews and the style of Tecovas weren't appealing either.

I saw Chisos' storefront in South Austin before Christmas and decided to look them up. I'd never heard of them before then, but it turns out they started up right before COVID. Chisos are at a slightly higher price point ($485), but worth it based on my experience so far. After about a 3-day break in, they very comfortable. They have a nice look, and the square toe on the No. 2 is not too wide. I've been wearing them daily for almost a month, and I'm very pleased with the quality and comfort.

Pros: comfort, mid priced, quality materials and craftsmanship.

Cons: limited styles and leather at this time (but I assume that may change?)

If you're in the market for a good pair of boots, you might consider them. The owner did a YouTube video where he cuts a pair of Tecovas, Luchese, and Chisos in half and compares materials.

Disclaimer: i've owned mine for 3.5 weeks, I don't get a cut, and only met the owner when I did my fitting. I was just tired of crappy boots.
Ptery83
Pics?
tamc91
AG
https://chisos.com/collections/boots/products/chisos-no-2

These are the style I bought. They have round toe, black, and a few other styles. They've been in business a little over a year.

Owner said they have a small shop in Mexico making them only for Chisos.
TacosaurusRex
Are they custom made to fit, or do you just pick your size and they sell you a pair?
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
bam02
AG
I doubt they're custom for that price point. Look nice! I like that style toe, too.
tamc91
AG
Not custom to fit, but this is probably my 10th pair of boots as an adult and the best fit I've had. Also a really nice foot bed / insole which helps a lot.

I'm not sure if they'll do a measurement and make some to specs, maybe if you have an odd size issue. You can call and check with the owner who runs the store.

I was thinking about a belt but they're a little too steep. It does look like they are doing a special EE and alligator pre-order.
powerbelly
AG
They are basically running the same play as Tecovas at a higher price point.
rootube
AG
Looks nice. I can't help but wonder why a guy who makes custom boots uses a recip saw to cut a boot in half. Seems like he would have a band saw laying around.
powerbelly
AG
rootube said:

Looks nice. I can't help but wonder why a guy who makes custom boots uses a recip saw to cut a boot in half. Seems like he would have a band saw laying around.

He doesn't make custom boots and he never touches a boot before they are done.
CactusThomas
AG

powerbelly
AG
CactusThomas said:

As someone that has a wide foot that advice would never work for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.