Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog Training (in Houston) is Outdoors

1,975 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ThreatLevel: Midnight
Heights Ag 06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Outdoor Board - Looking for some advice on training for a puppy we got a few weeks ago (11 week old Bernedoodle - I think every dog is now some type of "doodle"!). We are going to do a puppy training class but we are then looking for something to help get us to "fully trained" family dog (walk off leash, greet strangers appropriately, understand "no", basic sit/stay/come/heel/etc). In the past, we had a lab that went to a 8 week long hunting/training/boarding school prior to us acquiring him and we loved how well trained he was.

I found a place near-ish to Houston called "Legacy Retrievers" that has obedience training that occurs alongside their training of hunting dogs (just without the hunting specifics). They would take the dog at 5 months old and keep him boarded there full-time for ~8 weeks. This seems like it could work, but we have a couple of concerns: (1) hard to let go of the new family member that long, (2) concern that his temperament could change, (3) concerned about having to re-learn how to live in our house after living in a kennel for two months (potty training, not chewing, etc).

Wondering if these concerns are "valid" and also whether others have any input on Legacy Retrievers or other training options. We may be interested in some sort of training "day camp," but wondering if that will yield the same type of training results. Thanks so much in advance!
!
Rooster4Ag
AG
Tie a rope to it's neck, keep the rope loose and yank it hard when it gets too far. Tie the rope shorter and shorter, eventually the little thing will get the message.

Greet strangers appropriately: smack it

Sit/heel: train it with treats, shouldn't take more than a week

No: smack it

None of these commands need "doggy bootcamp," you can do it all on your own.
What have ye done to surpass man?
will.mcg
AG
Shoot we just did the first of three levels of obedience classes Pets Mart offers. We were happy with that. It's basic commands. The main thing about it was that it was us & the puppy consistently for 6 weeks. We were motivated to work with him at home during the week so we all didn't look silly in class. All commands built on previously learned ones. As far as walk off leash the best way to teach that is to have them off leash all the time......obviously this may not be reasonable for all people/situations/locations. Train the animal to know it's name by rewarding it with a small treat, transition that to come here, then build on that for sit, lie down, stay & so on.
Woods Ag
AG
Teamdog.pet

I'm in month 3 of the puppy foundations course. Plan on doing all of them. Pup is responding exceptionally

$13/month
texAZtea
AG
We adopted/rescued/whatever a 5 month old aussie about a month ago. The biggest thing I have learned about puppy training is that everyone has advice and it's all foolproof until you try it at home.

If you want to send your puppy off to training, do it. If you want to wing it at home, do it. Just make a plan and see it through.
MrWonderful
AG
10-15 minutes a day with consistency will get you the results you want. Grab a book like waterdog and focus on the obedience parts.

AgTech88
AG
Before I post my recommendation I should preface it with my philosophy on dog ownership in general. I firmly believe that a great relationship with a great dog is a direct gift from God that enhances the lives of the entire family and the dog. I further believe that the foundation of that relationship is based on a firm understanding of everyone's roles and expected behaviors for both Humans and dogs. All dogs want to do is to please us and all we want to do is give a dog a great happy life. A well trained well behaved dog, and human, removes a tremendous amount of frustration and anger from the relationship and allows it to flourish.

If you want to go with the "in patient" 4 week+ training, my experience has been don't worry about the "relationship/forget about the family" piece. I have done it with 5 dogs, at 2 min months, and it has never been an issue. They integrate back into the family with no problem.

Also just my opinion, but I think the hunt training regimen just gets a next level of discipline and obedience compared to traditional "Obedience" training. I think it is a big enough difference that I have done it even with my non-hunting Dogs.

I use Pete Thuman at Pecan Hill Kennels. They are old school and use the shock collar etc., but the results have been spectacular with no impact on the dogs personality or disposition. Highly recommend.

Another option, which several of my friends have used with great results, is a 2 week program from "OffLeash K9 Training". It is a more "modern" approach for house pets vs hunt dogs. It is a franchise deal all over the country but my friends have used them in Oklahoma, Dallas, and Seattle areas with good results.

Both options are expensive but I think worth the $$ for a pet relationship that will last a decade plus. Just my 2 cents.
AgTech88
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
i sent you a PM as I am in the same boat with the exact same dog and age.

The best place I heard is Stephanie Bennett's Believe In Dog Training, but I am not able to use them.

I also have talked to Fur Paws in the Heights, they have a two week program that is $1500.

My buddy recommended Club Canine in Katy. I am talking to their puppy trainer today, but I am not sure if I want to drive that far.
MrWonderful
AG
$1500 for two weeks? I'm in the wrong business...I'm just outside the heights, house backs up to a powerline easement. Can have that dog obedience-trained for a case of beer. It really isn't that hard, just takes some consistency and a place where they won't be distracted super easily
schmellba99
AG
Legacy is legit, I know Dennis personally and he's a good dude that does great work with dogs.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
MrWonderful said:

$1500 for two weeks? I'm in the wrong business...I'm just outside the heights, house backs up to a powerline easement. Can have that dog obedience-trained for a case of beer. It really isn't that hard, just takes some consistency and a place where they won't be distracted super easily
This! Can confirm he knows what he is doing, too.

I am about 18 months into training with my Lab. I have never "trained" a dog before and do not claim to be any sort of expert. Prior to this lab, getting a dog to stay, sit, and maybe heel was about all I could do...

After reading a few books, watching countless videos on youtube and most importantly, consistently working with her, she has blown my expectations out of the water. She still has deficiencies and needs more work on force fetching and blind commands, but she is very well behaved and beyond serviceable as a hunting dog.

TLDR:

If I can train my FIRST lab into a hunting dog, you can teach your dog basic commands and obedience.
BQZIP91
AG
check out Longoriahaus dog training. Al Longoria is a fellow Ag and is awesome at helping you and your dog.
DallasAggies01
AG
We used https://houstontxdogtrainers.com/ and highly recommend them. We took the first when she was about 9 months old and and the second at 6 months. Both great responsive dogs even without collar now. Wouldn't hesitate to take another pup to them.
aad03
AG
Which training books did you read before you got the dog?
Class of '03
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
We have two goldens. We sent our first to Shelmar Kennels and were very satisfied with price/results. In the past I have recommended them when this question was posed.
We recently sent our 2nd golden for obedience and I'm sad to say I can no longer recommend their services.

Just FYI.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.