Outdoors
Sponsored by

Opinion on VIP Bay Stealth Boats?

14,592 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Gunny456
Ag97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I may be in the market for a center console. In looking at Craigslist and FB Marketplace it looks like there are a fair amount of what looks to be decent shape VIP Bay Stealth units out there. Wondering what other peoples opinions of them are?

I had a VIP inboard/outboard 15 years ago and found it to be well built and never ran into problems on it other than upholstery. That being said, looking at the number of Bay Stealth Center Consoles I see for sale, I'm wondering if they are the Bayliner of the center console world?

Any opinions of them one way or the other?
Roger That
AG
Bayliner is how I view them. Or kind of like a Jeep Liberty
tlh3842
AG
It seems the common opinion that they are a very wet riding boat
TarponChaser
They're inexpensive. That's about it.

They're heavy, chopper-gun laid hulls. Typically they're pretty low on the fit/finish scale with rolled gunnels and splatter-paint interiors. They also have notoriously slapdash wiring so electrical problems are frequent.

They're also known for being really wet boats (as noted above) and will pound your fillings loose in a chop. Which is a bit weird since they're so heavy.

They'll get you on the water but I'd argue the reason for a lot of them being out there is that they're inexpensive boats that people trade out of frequently.

What's your budget and how are you planning to use it?
Ag97
AG
Thanks for the replies.

In a perfect world I'd use the boat a half dozen trips a year to nearby lakes like Sommerville and Gibbons. Another 2 to 3 trips a year to the coast for bay fishing.

I think I've finally convinced my wife to let me sell our Inboard/outboard and move into a CC. Fishing out of the runabout we currently have just doesn't work well. It's great for pulling a tube and pleasure cruising but fishing off of it sucks.

I have to find something that is halfway comfortable for the wife, so it will need a decent cushioned seat for her and preferably some sort of canopy to get her out of the sun when fishing. I've convinced her we can still pull a tube for the kids with a CC and may even be able to find something with some extra cushioned seats for when we are just boating/tubing.

I'm probably looking for something in the $10K to $15K range. If we use it like I hope we do, in a year or two I would probably sell it and move into something a little newer/nicer.
Gunny456
AG
First off they are not made any more. Epic boats are now built in that plant. In their day they were not bad compared to some of the other low end boats.
They did hand lay a layer of 18 oz. roven woven thus they were not all chopper gun lay up totally.
They did have wood in them. They had transom and stringer issues due to that.
The hull design was a pop off another bay boat brand that was popular at that time.
Basically they were a entry level boat at the time. You get what you pay for in the marine industry usually.
TommyGun
AG
You need to buy my neighbor's Frontier before I do. It's a considerable step-up from a Bay Stealth and this boat has been meticulously cared for. It's been for sale for a while so he might be willing to negotiate.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/baytown-2010-frontier-180/7198994202.html
Gunny456
AG
Frontier is a good product. Built and owned by Bill Kenner... founder and owner of Kenner boats before he sold it and the name to Johhny Morris.
Bill is a great guy and builds a fine boat.
TarponChaser
TommyGun said:

You need to buy my neighbor's Frontier before I do. It's a considerable step-up from a Bay Stealth and this boat has been meticulously cared for. It's been for sale for a while so he might be willing to negotiate.

My Panga would be a better choice.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/houston-2015-panga-marine-evo-18/7194459822.html

I'm only selling because I want a Sabine Versatile.

AgsMnn
AG
If you can wait a year or 2, there will be tons of boats on the market.

The Yamaha dealer sold all of their Xpress boats and said expect them to be on the market when people figure out they don't use them as often as they did during Covid.
Gunny456
AG
The only thing hindering a used boat from selling in the current marine selling environment at present is one of the four issues below:

1. Extremely overpriced ... good quality used boats are bringing a premium right now due to demand. However they can only be inflated so much over current NADA.
2. Boat brand with a very poor reputation.
3. Powered by an Evinrude due to E-Rude going out of business. No dealers except old Evinrude dealers want to take them on trade right now.
4. Boat and motor are in terrible condition with lots of hours.
Please understand I am not criticizing anybody on here who are selling their boats... just stating the state of the outboard powered used boat market right now ... as stated by dealers and industry individuals.... in hopes that perhaps this info can help a seller or buyer.
Aggieangler93
AG
We run a Bay Stealth 2180 with tunnel and Yammahammer TRP because that is what we have, and not looking to spend into a new one right now with my fishing partner and I both having 2 college aged kids on the payroll. That said, it's not the fanciest, but I've been driving it for 20 years or so all over Texas bays from Baffin to Matagorda. It will fish fine and can handle some chop. Ours has the tunnel hull and a TRP, so we can get fairly skinny in the heavy beast.

Things I would note:
------------------------------------------------
* Ours was free. My buddies Dad bought it for his Grandkids on the way. He got a steal of a deal on it from a guy getting divorced that didn't want her to get his toys.
* it is a good boat for larger bays with deeper swells.
* it does work well for a lake/inshore hybrid boat.
* before you buy it (even if on the trailer), stand behind the steering wheel, and make sure there is room for your feet and imagine being on plane. (ours had this weird glassed in live well for the seat, and you had to kneel on it to drive, which was painful for me at over 6 foot.) We had that cut out, and added an aluminim leaning post which has been a lifesaver.
* we also added a wading ladder.
* most folks that say it is a wet hull, drive the damn thing too slow. Get on top of those waves and cut em. We rarely run ours at less than 75% throttle unless we are in flat calm water or no wake, etc.
* Most of the storage on our 2180 sucks, it's not very watertight, and is not located well.
* I agree about electrical issues, but any boat in the 10-15K range is going to be suspect there.
* We put a new trailer under it last year. The galvanized steel one would only last so long.
* it's not fancy and can take a decent beating

Depending on what part of the coast you are fishing, we thought we would be in G bay more, so it made more sense for there, it could work for your needs. Granted, we are probably looking at a Shoalwater Cat or used Shallowsport or Pescador Cat next time, as we tend to want to get farther into the back lakes near ESB than we can presently and we fish that area more now. The cats run smoother than most of the others from what we have seen. If you won't be fishing too shallow, a used pathfinder would be an excellent option. If you only have 2 people on board, an 18 foot boat is fine. If you plan to fish or lake boat with 6-8 people, I wouldn't buy anything smaller than 21 foot, personally. With 8, you may want to look at a 24 footer.

Where are you going to be fishing primarily? How many people will be with you on average?

These are just my 2 cents.....

Edit to add that our 2180 with tunnel is underpowered with a TRP 150 2 stroke. If we had the cash, I would look at a 200 or 250 for it. That's also something else to consider.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Aggieangler93
AG
Gunny456 said:

The only thing hindering a used boat from selling in the current marine selling environment at present is one of the four issues below:

1. Extremely overpriced ... good quality used boats are bringing a premium right now due to demand. However they can only be inflated so much over current NADA.
2. Boat brand with a very poor reputation.
3. Powered by an Evinrude due to E-Rude going out of business. No dealers except old Evinrude dealers want to take them on trade right now.
4. Boat and motor are in terrible condition with lots of hours.
Please understand I am not criticizing anybody on here who are selling their boats... just stating the state of the outboard powered used boat market right now ... as stated by dealers and industry individuals.... in hopes that perhaps this info can help a seller or buyer.
Agreed....everything recreational is flying off the shelves like hotcakes right now.....
Funky Winkerbean
AG
TommyGun said:

That is a nice boat, but seems overpriced. Besides being 20 years old, it is slightly underpowered imo. The low hours, given the age is a slight detriment as well. The boat wasn't used enough.
Aggieangler93
AG
I thought so too. I just don't see the appeal of an 18 foot boat with a 115HP on it, no matter who makes it. I always have 3 or 4 guys that want to fish with me, so that's a no go weight-wise in a boat that small.
Gunny456
AG
I was involved in a NMMA (National Marine Manufacturing Association) meeting two weeks ago and they had various state Conservation Departments participating in the meeting. One of the most interesting talking points in the meeting was the large increase of fishing license sales.
Some of these departments have collected data on how many of these are first time buyers of fishing licenses......and the number was above 30%.
Further they felt that the Covid pandemic served to open up fishing and other outdoor recreation to people who before would never had considered it and are now experiencing it and really enjoying it.
In addition to the above, topics were also discussed about the impact this would have on the resources long term as it relates to creel limits etc.
They were thinking that it may not be a short lived fad....that in fact we may have a whole new generation of fisherman and outdoor enthusiasts being formed.
Aggieangler93
AG
I don't doubt it. Every weekend since Covid started has been like a holiday weekend in POC. Hell, it doesn't seem to calm down until Tuesday. I guess free government money really boosted some people into going fishing!!!
Gunny456
AG
Roger that. .....not to derail but I enjoyed your post on your Bay Stealth. I have been a factory rep for a boat company for just at 37 years. Other than being a WFS biologist for some years after TAMU, the marine industry has been my entire life.
Back about 20 years ago or so I was good friends with the VIP rep. We fished together, dove hunted together etc.
The boat brand I worked for was expensive, especially our Bay Boats. He and I would work boat show's together supporting our dealers and I had a few dealers that sold my companies boats and his Bay Stealth line.
It was tough competition because he had about a $7,000 cheaper bay boat than my companies brand for the same size boat.
They sold a lot of those boats back then and he would always rag on me about how he sold more CC's than me.
I would do the same to him on the bass boat side of the business and would rag on him.
Sadly he died pretty young of cancer. This thread brought back my memories of him and the fun we had together. Your post reminded me of those times .... thanks and may you always have tight lines.
TommyGun
AG
Troutslime said:

TommyGun said:

That is a nice boat, but seems overpriced. Besides being 20 years old, it is slightly underpowered imo. The low hours, given the age is a slight detriment as well. The boat wasn't used enough.

I agree that it's priced high. It's been for sale for about 6 months so he might be taking some offers.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
FWIW

just my $0.02 and you're getting it for free

95% of the value in a used boat is the power plant. Something still with a couple years warranty is preferred

If you lose a $15,000 motor (replacement cost) on a $12-15,000 purchase you essentially have nothing

In most salt water situations where the boater has had more than just a few experiences, I think an honest survey will reveal that what I'm sharing about "value" is true

Free advice

Might be worth what you paid
AG
If my post did nothing else than stir your memories of a good friend, it was well worth the time it took me to write it out. I'm sorry you lost your buddy, Gunny. My Dad is on his last chemo round now, so I'm praying for good clear tests, so we can have more days on the water soon. God bless ya.
Aggieangler93
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

FWIW

just my $0.02 and you're getting it for free

95% of the value in a used boat is the power plant. Something still with a couple years warranty is preferred

If you lose a $15,000 motor (replacement cost) on a $12-15,000 purchase you essentially have nothing

In most salt water situations where the boater has had more than just a few experiences, I think an honest survey will reveal that what I'm sharing about "value" is true

Free advice

Might be worth what you paid

Username checks out!!!!
Gunny456
AG
Will be sending prayers up for your dad...God does heal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.