Outdoors
Sponsored by

Portable Basketball Hoop - Cracked Base

16,170 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by raidernarizona
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the base to my kids' portable basketball hoop has cracked. It's one of those Spalding hoops that you fill the base with water so that it doesn't tip over. I have looked on the Spalding website to see if I can buy a replacement but I cannot find one there.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It's on a horizontal seam. I was thinking I might just be able to fill it with concrete instead of water. I think that I might be able to use from the outside to seal the crack would be easier and would make me happy.

Any of had to fix one of these before?
barney94
AG
Haven't fixed one like that, but I have put sand in one instead of water. Kind of a pain, but once it's in there it's solid.
aftershock
Maybe put some flex tape over the seam and then coat flex seal. I know the commercials are kinda hokey, but I've had decent luck with the stuff.
bdgol07
AG
Fill it with cement instead of water
Fairview
AG
aftershock said:

Maybe put some flex tape over the seam and then coat flex seal. I know the commercials are kinda hokey, but I've had decent luck with the stuff.

giddings_ag_06
AG
And to prevent this in the future, quit lowering it to 8' and dunking to impress them.
Sazerac
AG
JB weld
angryocotillo
AG
Not sure how big of a crack you are talking about. I used 3m 5200 on my Jon boat to seal things. It's permanent and waterproof. It's the real deal.

That being said, I have seen many filled with sand.
Burdizzo
AG
Is it made of high density polyethylene (HDPE)? Look for the recycling triangle on it and see it is a 2.

If so you can use heat to weld the crack shut. I was looking to repair a kayak recently, and that was how they do it. You might even be able to do it with a hair dryer, but it may take a while. Small propane torch might be needed but be careful not to overheat.

Do a YouTube search for patching plastic kayaks.
aggie_wes
AG
I've never had a portable basketball hoop that wasn't a piece of junk. Wish I'd just put the $100 towards an in-ground one instead of throwing the portable one away after 6 months.
BigNastyNate
AG
Where are you located?
combat wombat™
AG
NW Houston.

Burdizzo, I have a heat gun for crafting. It gets way hotter than a blow dryer.

Incidentally, I discovered that when used with extreme caution you can use the hot air gun make the white water rings on wood furniture go away without damaging the finish. MUST use extreme caution if you don't want to damage the finish.
AggieStan
Quickcrete
angryocotillo
AG
You can use cut up sections of milk jug as a patch when you heat weld it.
combat wombat™
AG
angryocotillo said:

You can use cut up sections of milk jug as a patch when you heat weld it.

GREAT idea.

Because I'm lazy, I tried the flex seal tape. It would have worked if the tape didn't have creases in it every few inches or so. I don't get good at adhesion where the little folds are and its drippong VERY slowly at those spots.
Hwy30East
We had the same thing happen once. Called the manufacturer, and they sent us a new base at no cost. You may want to try that.
Strongwind86
AG
I'm located in NW Houston - Cypress.
I've got a "portable" basketball hoop base - full of sand - it's yours.
Come pick it up.

The base is good - it's on "wheels" - can be moved.
Pole is good - Adjustable
Backboard is cracked.

PM me if you're interest - SW '86
flashplayer
AG
Just tape and fill with sand. Sand isn't gonna leak like water.
TarponChaser
Forget sand or water. They sell a product at Academy and on Amazon that's about 16oz of a powdered gel. Dump it in the base and fill with water. The powder absorbs it and creates a dense gelatin that won't leak like water and easier to deal with than sand. When it's time to take down the goal you just dump a solution of like 1 cup salt in 1 gallon of water to liquify the gel and you can just rinse it down the sewers.
TarponChaser
This is it: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/h2old-16-oz-base-gel?campid=71700000057441097&adgroupid=58700005319780061&device=m&keyword=92700056275561661&Channel=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7ZL6BRCmARIsAH6XFDKzqoiS4FnTrego4dtvQQAkf9iVzy19jEAjfHSGkgcFZht9bKvjXp0aAvl5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It works great.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
When fixed secure it to the ground with a ratchet strap and ground anchors. That's what I do and it's been through some serious weather. Rock solid.
combat wombat™
raidernarizona
Quote:

Wish I'd just put the $100 towards an in-ground one instead of throwing the portable one away after 6 months.

I think you left a zero off....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.