Outdoors
Sponsored by

Grass ID?

1,398 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Maroon Saloon
Log
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm good at most things outdoors, but grass ID is not one of them. I think this is native grass, but not sure. Land has been in our family for 120+ years. A lot of it was put in Bermuda in the 40's and 50's by my grandfather, so there's lots of it still around, but there is about 40 acres of our property nearby that is native prairie and was never broken. I've been seeing more and more of it over the last few years, some of which I can attribute to better environmental conditions (aka rain and no drought) and a reduced grazing pressure.

Anyway, some of y'all experts chime in. This is in Cooke County in the Blackland Prairie.

tamc91
AG
Can you get a good, hi res photo of the inflorescence (seed head) and do you know the soil type.
Caesar4
AG
I have no knowledge/experience in this area, but the app on my phone says it's Basin Wild Rye.
Log
AG
Blackland soil.
ShackelfordAg99
It looks like white tridens.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I'm guessing Vaseygrass.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Log
AG
I think you nailed it. Thanks. Glad to know it's native. Hope it'll begin to outcompete the Bermuda at some point.
B-1 83
AG
White tridens. Should have an odor when the leaves are crushed. As natives go, it's not good. Invader on Bermuda if the Bermuda gets weak and/or disturbed.
Log
AG
I'll take native invader over Bermuda until at (hopefully) some point I'll be able to knock out the non-natives and try to re-establish what should be there.
B-1 83
AG
Log said:

I'll take native invader over Bermuda until at (hopefully) some point I'll be able to knock out the non-natives and try to re-establish what should be there.
How much are they grazing it?
ShackelfordAg99
Anyone else have the Dr. Stephan Hatch agrostology class back in the day?

ranchag04
AG
Send the Bermudagrass my way....never heard anyone complain about having Bermudagrass.
Log
AG
Except it absolutely sucks for wildlife.
Log
AG
Running probably 150-200 head on ~600 acres. I may be off slight on head count, but my cousin/uncle are running three herds on our 400 and their 200, which butt up to each other. Each herd rotated through their own sector. Same as my grandfather (my uncles brother, so technically he's my great-uncle; 95 and still running cattle; A&M class of '50 and on the wall in Kleberg. President of the ANSC society or related back in the day) used to do. Has worked well for years.

We got hammered in the droughts of 2005-06 and again in 2010-2011. We've had amazing rain since then with mild, wet summers. I know it won't last, but I'd like to make progress in certain areas when conditions are good.

I was up there today testing some reloads and, while hot, there was a nice breeze, and the grass is green and high. Amazing for August.
Maroon Saloon
I had to spend time mounting plants to earn extra credit to finish off that class . . .
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.