Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tractor cow rotator?

12,242 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BlueSmoke
agent-maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I'm on an email list that posts new homemade tools daily. Usually homemade hand tools, belt sanders, drill presses, sheet metal benders, etc. But today this pic captioned "tractor cow rotator" came across with no explanation, and it appears to be a tractor mounted device for rotating a cow. Couldn't google up an explanation and couldn't think of any reason you would rotate a cow.

Anybody have a reason for this device's existence?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Don't know but the dude driving that tractor seems pretty pleased with himself.
JobSecurity
AG
It's not a rotator, it's a tipper
HBJ
AG
Looks like it is used to trim hooves. But it looks much more complicated than your typical tilt table.
Centerpole90
AG
Hoof trimmer my guess too
cuz-i-can
AG
It looks like someone repurposed their home gym machine...
agent-maroon
AG
I had no idea that cows needed to have their hooves trimmed. Horses I knew about, but I had never heard that about cow hooves. Is this a regular thing that ranchers do or is it not all that common?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG
In my day we just knocked them down and put a knee on their necks so they couldn't stand up. If they were big, put em in the chute and use a nose clamp. New Army ruins everything.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

jrbaggie
Mostly show steers and heifers get their hoods trimmed.
BQ_90
AG
jrbaggie said:

Mostly show steers and heifers get their hoods trimmed.
Dairy cows sometimes, my guess is confined cows might have hoof issues they need trimming
CSTXAg92
AG
I doubt that's real.
chris1515
AG
My guess is it might be used for surgery.
Or maybe it's something used for down cows.

It looks like it would be hard to get a healthy animal strapped into something like that. And keep them restrained.
bam02
AG
cuz-i-can said:

It looks like someone repurposed their home gym machine...

Exactly what I thought. They could sell that gym equipment for a fortune right now!
fightingfarmer09
Dirty Jobs did an episode on a hoof trimming crew. They did dairy cows.

It was fascinating.

Picard
AG
That cow is ready for space travel

aftershock
Maybe they were a few days late on hitting send on the April Fool's edition of the newsletter...?
Centerpole90
AG
Sorry I'm just now circling back, but you got your question answered above. Hoof trimming is a common practice with cattle for exhibition and apparently fairly common with dairy cattle, although I'm not certain why for the latter. My guess would be the amount of time they spend on concrete? Trimming is seldom if ever done on regular commercial cattle unless there's been an injury of something that requires it. I am not certain that the tool in the OP is for hoof trimming, that would have just been a guess, but for comparison here is a hoof trimming table marketed to dairymen...

BrazosDog02
AG
I was pretty happy with my home made hat stretcher. This is something else! Me gusta.
IIIHorn
agent-maroon said:

I'm on an email list that posts new homemade tools daily. Usually homemade hand tools, belt sanders, drill presses, sheet metal benders, etc. But today this pic captioned "tractor cow rotator" came across with no explanation, and it appears to be a tractor mounted device for rotating a cow. Couldn't google up an explanation and couldn't think of any reason you would rotate a cow.

Anybody have a reason for this device's existence?
"Where have I herd this before?"
CanyonAg77
AG
Training for future moon mission.

Sorry, I meant to say

Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon mission.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Took a closer look at the pic and think it's a photoshop. The cow's full weight is suspended on some small rope slings and the legs are held by the same small ropes. And if I'm the only one that actually thought it was legit then laugh away because I bit hard on this one. Mainly because it came off a reputable email subscription that I've never known to post pranks before. But... they got me.
Posted the above in a F16 thread. The more I looked at it the more obvious it was a photoshop. A pretty good photoshop IMO, but still a fake.

A cattleman I am not...
JD05AG
AG
I know some folks that could've used that at closing time at the Hall of Shame.
Prune Tracy
cmag
How drugged did the cow have to be for it to let him strap that thing on? (serious answers only)
CanyonAg77
AG
cmag said:

How drugged did the cow have to be for it to let him strap that thing on? (serious answers only)
Dead?
The Wonderer
AG
Is that how they shake the cows to get chocolate milk?
aad03
AG
Picard said:

That cow is ready for space travel

Seriously, he won the trip to space camp on Double Dare.
Class of '03
S.A. Aggie
AG
Does it include balancing?
BlueSmoke
"Dammit Carl, I said ROTATE the cattle...."

In the fields. In the damn fields.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.