Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wasps suck - Do any traps work at all?

4,157 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cupofjoe04
culdeus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's that time of year the damn little ****ers are out and about, I see these traps on amazon and stuff but I figure it's all bull*****

Anything work? I go on huge scouting missions looking for the nests and come up empty, at least so far. Figure it's my lazy ass neighbor.
Slamn Sharpe
Get 4 or 5 cans of hornet and wasp spray. Or you can make some with dawn soap and water, toss it at the nests
cupofjoe04
AG
I use the yellow hanging traps every year on my back porch. Have to empty them every 2 weeks or so, and there are usually 100 or so wasps in each trap. It does keep them knocked down some. Would be better if you could keep the traps on the corners of your yard, away from where people gather.

One thing- the "bait refills". They make a small and a large, like one lasts 2 weeks and the other 4-6 or something. Pay the extra buck for the long lasting one. It does last a bit more, but also catches them 2-1 over the smaller one.

They types of traps that have multiple ways to catch (water, scent, etc) never seem to make a diff. Just the good ole yellow wasp traps with the cotton ball of scent in it.

Works for me anyway.
SharkinAg
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

I use the yellow hanging traps every year on my back porch. Have to empty them every 2 weeks or so, and there are usually 100 or so wasps in each trap. It does keep them knocked down some. Would be better if you could keep the traps on the corners of your yard, away from where people gather.

One thing- the "bait refills". They make a small and a large, like one lasts 2 weeks and the other 4-6 or something. Pay the extra buck for the long lasting one. It does last a bit more, but also catches them 2-1 over the smaller one.

They types of traps that have multiple ways to catch (water, scent, etc) never seem to make a diff. Just the good ole yellow wasp traps with the cotton ball of scent in it.

Works for me anyway.

Man I wished those worked as well for me as they do you. They don't do a damn thing at my place.
Slamn Sharpe
cupofjoe04 said:

Works for me anyway.

Every 2 weeks 100 wasps?
So about 200 wasps or so every month?
jgh85Ag
AG
Try spraying WD-40 wherever you dont want them. Wasps were always building nests on our front porch. Once I sprayed the WD40, haven't had a new nest since.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Slim Isle
Wasps are generational over here at our place.
carodz
AG
Buy this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spectracide-Wasp-and-Hornet-18-oz-Insect-Killer/999958283

Labeled to kill them up to 4 weeks but I've found it lasts pretty much all year.
cupofjoe04
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

cupofjoe04 said:

Works for me anyway.

Every 2 weeks 100 wasps?
So about 200 wasps or so every month?

Typically 100 in each trap, sometimes more, sometimes less. But in July/Aug, they are pretty steady. We cannot eat on the back porch if we don't manage the wasps- the are relentless when there is food out. Surrounded by forest, so finding the dang burrows/nests is a needle in a haystack game.
rootube
AG
I am lucky, only have red wasps where I live. I used to try and kill them but they are not aggressive or a nuisance so I just leave them alone now.
Brazos1865
AG
Given their spider diet, I guess there's no chance this works on mud daubers? They're my nemesis and I'd love something to knock their numbers down.
AtlAg05
AG
I have more carpenter bees than wasps, those things like to burrow in wood. My favorite past time during this time of the year is going out with a tennis racket and knocking them out of the air.
txyaloo
AG
Bifen-XT sprayed under porches, overhangs, etc works wonders for keeping wasps and all other bugs/insects away. It's a ton less expensive than multiple cans of wasp spray.
fire09
AG
https://www.lowes.com/pd/RESCUE-TrapStick-for-Wasps-Mud-Daubers-and-Carpenter-Bees-Insect-Trap/1000180537?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-lwn-_-google-_-lia-_-241-_-outdoorpesticide-_-1000180537-_-0&store_code=3306&placeholder=null&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsYb0BRCOARIsAHbLPhER4uftX2LAFlRmsaLNiPyzIGnyFXYbBrLi141b2k5lbcRLGZOeX90aAikREALw_wcB

This has killed every flying critter under my eaves.

eric76
AG
Wasps are a nuisance, but mosquitoes are a serious health risk on the farm because of West Nile Virus. My oldest brother was in a coma for about two months because of it about six years ago and has never recovered very far at all. He rarely recognizes me and he hasn't been able to carry on a conversation since he had West Nile virus. I stop by the nursing home to see him when I can (I don't know when the next time will be or if he'll survive until the nursing home allows visitors again).

I'd trade all our mosquitoes for wasps any day.
jpb1999
AG
Dang, how old is he? Sorry to hear that!

Cupofjoe, can you link the trap you use for wasps? Does it catch mud daubers as well?

Thanks!
IDAGG
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Works for me anyway.
I think the hanging traps only work on yellow jackets, not other types of paper wasps.

I also use the hanging type with the 10 week cartridge. It catches the heck out of yellow jackets.

I do not know of a trap that will catch wasps.
TX AG 88
AG
Holy cow, that's terrible! I'm truly sorry to hear that.
Goldie Wilson
AtlAg05 said:

I have more carpenter bees than wasps, those things like to burrow in wood. My favorite past time during this time of the year is going out with a tennis racket and knocking them out of the air.
I'm also in a constant territorial dispute with the carpenter bees. Have you found anything that's effective aside from a tennis racket?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
AtlAg05 said:

my parents used to have this electrified tennis racket type device for just that sport.
OnlyForNow
AG
I'll post the residual insecticide I bought to go after carpenter bees with.

It works GREAT, but I'll caution it it is very poisonous, pretty sure to all animals. As I got it on my skin the first time I used it (overhead) and I definitely had a tingling sensation on my face and arms for about two hours afterward (where I got over spray).
S.A. Aggie
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Get 4 or 5 cans of hornet and wasp spray. Or you can make some with dawn soap and water, toss it at the nests
Warm soap and water. Do it at night and you will get them all.
agnerd
AG
Got one of these. Hasn't trapped a single wasp. Last week, there was a wasp building a nest hanging off the bottom of it! Mother****er was then terminated with extreme prejudice, and the trap went in the trash.
RCR06
AG
Tried one of those a few years ago. They didnt make a nest on it, but didn't catch any either.
eric76
AG
jpb1999 said:

Dang, how old is he? Sorry to hear that!

Cupofjoe, can you link the trap you use for wasps? Does it catch mud daubers as well?

Thanks!
He's 78.

What got him was the greenhouse he built so that he could have a garden all year long during the previous winter. In the evenings, he would go out and tend the plants in the greenhouse. The mosquitoes there were terrible but he never worried about them.

About three days after his 50th wedding anniversary, he became very disoriented and couldn't get up. We took him to the hospital where they ruled out a stroke, but had some rather strange ideas about what it might be -- their first thought was that it was psychiatric! About a week later, he drifted into a coma and was airlifted about 2 or 3 am to Amarillo. A few days after the transfer, they finally determined it was encephalitis caused by West Nile Virus.
cupofjoe04
AG
I've tired that one as well. Didn't work very well. Caught a few, but nothing in the "water trap"

I use the regular cheap trap, works well for me. I believe I catch almost all yellow jackets, but they are all flying a-holes in my opinion.

- we do this volume in 2 traps each, ALL... SUMMER... LONG.

This is what I use - Loaded with the 10 week supply of bait.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/insect-and-animal-control/insect-bait/74521?x429=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpe2ChfHH6AIVSxitBh386QeoEAQYDiABEgLVmPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

OnlyForNow
AG
You've got ground nesting YJ somewhere around ya bud.

Look out!
OnlyForNow
AG
I mix this

CYZMIC CS, Demon WP, and permithrin in a 3 gallon sprayer and spray my eves, window sills, and door thresholds (outside ONLY!) and any where the carpenter bees get. Kills pretty much everything, fairly quickly has been doing a good job on all the stupid tent caterpillars and twany mouth stinging caterpillars that are really active right now in Fort Bend County.
cupofjoe04
AG
OnlyForNow said:

You've got ground nesting YJ somewhere around ya bud.

Look out!

Yep, they are all over the green belt and National Forrest near us. It's part of the price we pay to live here. Worth it.

But it is war in these suckers every year. We like to eat on the back deck 4-5 nights a week for several months. These traps are about the only thing that keeps them knocked back somewhere. I'm going to do more traps this year, an hang them on the fence line (instead of on the deck). Hopefully that will draw them before they get to us.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.