Outdoors
Sponsored by

Woodworkers: Advice on selling black walnut?

7,829 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by kingj3
kingj3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy All,

My business partner has a place about 45 mins from Dallas, we have found about 5 old growth, forest grown black walnut trees 30-50+ inches in diameter and he is interested in selling the trees, but it looks like the bigger market for them is up north.

Any advice on who might be interested in buying and what a fair price might be?

My partner has a saw mill and is quite adept at felling and processing if that makes a difference.

Thank you!
RM76
AG
Not sure about the market potential but keep in mind that the intact stump (including a portion that extends below ground) may be as valuable, or more valuable, than the lumber. Keep us posted if you decide to harvest.
ghostofbucky
AG
Look up Harden Saw mill in Sanger. They do what you're looking for. Not sure on prices or details though. I only buy from them. And have bought black walnut from them before.
kingj3
AG
Thanks! blue stars for y'all.

Keep the good advice coming!
agrams
AG
There is a good market in Texas, it just isn't as commercialized or visible. I often buy walnut slabs shipped in from Pennsylvania.

Thinking of sawmills in Texas, I know 3 have WM1000 bandsaw mills that can handle that size and would be worth a call:

M&G Sawmill in Huntsville
Harden Sawmill in Sanger

Phillips Forest Products in DeKalb may also be able to (I am not certain on their full capability). There is also Mesquite Valley Woodcrafts in Waco. I texted the owner this morning to confirm his capability. I will update when he replies.

It is a niche market for big slabs. Use the doyle scale to estimate your BF. Delivered to a mill, I would be surprised if you get more than 2-3$/board foot for a big log. Your height to the first branch and the condition of the tree will have a huge impact. You will need to be able to get the trees milled and to the mill though, which can be a big effort depending on access to the trees and what type of equipment you have access to.

If you get some pics, shoot me an email at grams wood works at geemail dot com (no spaces). maybe we can come to a deal.
Horse with No Name
I sold some timber in MI a few years back. I'm no expert but did a little research at the time.

The gold standard in the timber market is veneer walnut. Timber buyers are looking for at least 8' long sections with zero knot holes or branches. They will buy all kinds of trees, but the discounts mount up quickly for each branch, scar, knot, etc. Buyers also usually have a knack for telling if there is a void or hollow in the bole. Realistically, those trees could be worth $1000's each, or $150 or so for pallet lumber.

If the trees are crap from a commercial standpoint, then cutting and milling yourself could net some $$ from hobbyists, but this would be the absolute last resort in my book.

Get two or more bids from timber buyers before a saw ever touches a tree. Alternatively, you could have a forrester cut and butt your logs in an attempt to increase your marketability/profit, but this transfers the risk of finding something bad inside a tree entirely onto you.
Ridin' 'cross the desert. . .
agrams
AG
mesquite valley woodcrafts in Waco can do 54" logs.
kingj3
AG
Just sent some pictures to Agrams. Will see what he thinks!

He's a google drive file with pictures of 2 trees, I'm 5'7" with a 28 inch waist for reference

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FKL9OP9d3Ew_tkQixKIYquyet5pqq18W?usp=sharing
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
The pics are private. Can you post via imgur? Or make public and I can post them.
kingj3
AG
Should be fixed now. I did not have it on "anyone with the link" before. Apologies
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
No worries and thanks.
kingj3
AG
RM76 said:

Not sure about the market potential but keep in mind that the intact stump (including a portion that extends below ground) may be as valuable, or more valuable, than the lumber. Keep us posted if you decide to harvest.
Can you elaborate on this?
agrams
AG
Root/Stump burl can be a highly figured wood and is often used for gun stocks/bowl blanks/etc due to its character and uniqueness:

kingj3
AG
agrams said:

Root/Stump burl can be a highly figured wood and is often used for gun stocks/bowl blanks/etc due to its character and uniqueness:

Makes sense!
Post removed:
by user
Badace52
AG
Does he just want to cut those down for the money or is there another reason?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agrams
AG
a lot of species have that character in the root ball, but walnut is high demand in general for veneer, stocks, etc, especially walnut burl.

I've made stuff from mesquite root ball, but it can be a mess to work with from embedded rocks and debris.
RM76
AG
kingj3 said:

agrams said:

https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/images/walnut-burl-tree.jpg

https://www.burlsandmore.com/product_images/221/Rustic-Burl-Wood-Slab-of-Claro-Walnut-with-Stump-Figure-Item-221cs3221-2-Close-Up.jpg
Makes sense!

That's about all I have also. Premium wood for high end gun stocks, custom tables, etc.
kingj3
AG
Taking them down primarily for the cash. He is also ag exempt for timber use so have to do something from time to time
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.