Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lews vs Concept reels?

8,105 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 76Ag
shakenbake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have heard pros and cons to both the Lews Custom Lite and the Concept Z / C reels. Anyone have any personal experience or strong preference? TIA.
up-n-aTm
AG
Hardcore, lifetime fisherman here. Been a Shimano guy pretty much my whole life, but 2 years ago I bought a Lew's Custom Pro. Best reel I've ever owned.

Not sure this helped, but there it is.
AggieChemist
AG
A year ago I had one lew's baitcaster and 0 spinning reels.

Today I have six lew's baitcasters and 3 spinning reels.

Take from that what you may.
hudmoon
AG
Saltwater?

If so, Shimano. Spend a little more if your budget allows and buy a metanium. You won't regret it.

I have fished both reels that you mentioned and own a concept c. I would go lews. That reel is crazy lite and cast a mile, but the few I have used felt a little "loose". I'm probably gonna sell the concept c.

I rinse my reels off after use and deep clean once a year. Have never had any issues with my Shimano reels. The concept c handle knobs froze up a few times on me and have required more frequent cleanings.
shakenbake
AG
Yes, saltwater. Great feedback, keep it coming!
yakin ag
AG
My Lew's held up to several years of every weekend offshore fishing with only a rinse after use. They got soaked by spray most trips out. I still use them for my occasional freshwater trips.
Brazos1865
AG
I have a Concept Z that is pretty good when it's clean. After a little wade fishing, salt (at least it's white like salt) will build up between the bushing and the spool shaft. The fills the clearance between the bushing and the shaft to the point the reel will barely cast. The only way to correct this is to disassemble and clean the reel. I wouldn't recommend one for saltwater.
FIDO*98*
AG
I've got a bit of experience with both

Lew's Inshore Speed Spool, Inshore SLP, Team Lite : Concept Z, C, C, TX, E, KP

13s are smoother out of the box and lower profile, however, most of my Concepts now have Boca Bearings and the ones that don't it's because they don't get used as much.

Lew's sling it a mile and have held up better over the long run. The Team Lite isn't sitting on the Ultra Mag by accident.
shakenbake
AG
Thanks. I just worry about a Lews being so light and holding up in the salt water or when a 30" red is pulling on it.

Have you fished the Custom Lite or Custom Pro?

The more I read about Concepts' performance in salt water, the more I lean towards Lews.
AGdent07
AG
Similar experience with both Lews and Concept reels. I fish 90% saltwater and maintain all my reels very meticulously. Out of the box both are great. I do prefer my Lews and would reach for it first. Like most people have mentioned, the concept bearings tend to be the issue and most have upgraded to ceramic/Boca bearings.

If I was to buy another reel currently I would lean towards the Lews line. Good luck.
FIDO*98*
AG
I wouldn't think twice about the reel weight and pulling in big fish. The drag systems are so good they can handle big fish no problems. I want the lightest weight possible when I'm wading

Never fished with the Pro or Custom Lite, but, the Pro would be my next reel if I was in the market.
Badace52
AG
I like Lew's over 13fishing universally but both brands are pretty good reels. You aren't going to hate either.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dolch
AG
All saltwater here.

Lew's Team Lite for me.

I fish Core 100's and a Lew's team lites.

The Concepts are nice, but require more maintenance than most of my friends care to put up with. They have all switched to the Team Lites and haven't been able to destroy them..

Also, I gave one to my oldest son for his 8th birthday, and with the magnetic cast control, he learned to cast a baitcaster in less than 20 minutes. My soon to be 7 year old will be getting one, but I think it will take him a little longer.

I hear Lew's customer service is top notch as well. In 4 years, I haven't needed them though.
Bird93
AG
I've got 4 Curado 200s and 2 100s that I've probably had for 20 yrs (or close to it), and they just won't die. I Just can't bring myself to buy new reels because they just keep going and going.
MattyAg
AG
I have both and the team lites have held up better for me. The concept cast great but hasn't been as durable. As for the drag on the Lewis check out this big ugly from last https://imgur.com/gallery/UASg6LL

Aggieangler93
AG
Bird93 said:

I've got 4 Curado 200s and 2 100s that I've probably had for 20 yrs (or close to it), and they just won't die. I Just can't bring myself to buy new reels because they just keep going and going.
99% Saltwater inshore here...

When my first greenie died, and I tried to get parts, I upgraded my harem to all newer ones. I now have a stable full of Chronarch 50Mgs that are slowly being replaced with the new Chronarch G.

I love Shimano products. I will say my son has loved his Lews stuff, and when I have casted it at the pond, etc, I enjoy it too.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Bird93
AG
Two of the 200s are certainly on their last leg (my saltwater rigs), but they're still perfectly serviceable if I want to chase crappie or sandies.

I met an old timer a couple of weeks ago at Mineral Wells State Park who moonlights as a reel tech. He offered me $100 each for the 4 reels I had with me, which I thought was pretty impressive. Until I remember who I am, and that I would quickly turn 4 perfectly good rod and reel combos into just 1 new combo. I decided to stick with my greenies.
slammerag
AG
Midway has fishing stuff now. Have C's and TXZ's on sale.
TxFig
AG
AggieChemist said:

A year ago I had one lew's baitcaster and 0 spinning reels.

Today I have six lew's baitcasters and 3 spinning reels.

Take from that what you may.

I take this to mean you do not have a wife or kids, and are likely retired as you go fishing WAY more often than any of the rest of us.

The rest of us are envious.
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
Slamn Sharpe
I have the Lews Mach 1 and love it
AGdent07
AG
Just got back from three straight days of fishing in Baffin. Three of us all fished with only Lews lite speed spool reels and concepts (A,E,Z). I noticed the Lews cast further for all three of us. Also despite the same maintenance/cleaning performed the concepts all had signs of corrosion.

I'm thinking about purchasing another reel. I'm looking at the Lew's custom pro or another lite speed.
tcc66
AG
up-n-aTm said:

Hardcore, lifetime fisherman here. Been a Shimano guy pretty much my whole life, but 2 years ago I bought a Lew's Custom Pro. Best reel I've ever owned.

Not sure this helped, but there it is.

Same here. I became very efficient at rebuilding my Shimano's (at least twice/yr/reel). I tried the Lews about 4 years ago and was mad at myself for not switching sooner! I saltwater fish exclusively and wipe them down with hot water after each weekend. A drop of oil on the bearings/spool race every now and then and they work flawlessly. The only issue I've had (I own 10+ lews)is the lower bearing in the handles corrode. I learned to oil them.

My buddies are happy with their concept reels when they're new..........

tcc66
AG
shakenbake said:

Thanks. I just worry about a Lews being so light and holding up in the salt water or when a 30" red is pulling on it.

Have you fished the Custom Lite or Custom Pro?

The more I read about Concepts' performance in salt water, the more I lean towards Lews.
This is not a problem with the lews. Last summer we found a school of oversize reds and they stayed in the same area for weeks. It was fun throwing topwater at them and letting them destroy it. I never once lost confidence in the lews ability to handle those tractors!
Slim Isle
Y'all are killin me!!!

LEWS ...
BB675
AG
Lews
76Ag
AG
Diawa TWS Tatula SV. I have an old Lew's BBN that I liked but it would occasionally lock up in the middle of a cast. Not good.
Well we might as well give up and run
If we let 'm take our God and guns.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.