Outdoors
Sponsored by

What's your favorite hog hunting rifle?

12,128 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ursusguy
WestTexasAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We do a lot of hog hunting out at our place, and I'm thinking about getting a new rifle. Suggestions? I have a bolt action .308 Savage. It's pretty accurate, and light. Not great for getting off multiple shots though.
Slamn Sharpe
Brush gun 45-70 or 30-30 lever action. Both are Marlin

Most will tell you get an AR platform for hogs. I'm about to get an AR 10 in 6.5 CM. It's my favorite caliber. A 7mm-08 makes for a great bolt action caliber. I would suggest a Winchester XPR
West Texan
AG
My favorite hog gun is the one I have with me.

As mentioned above, AR is what a lot of people (myself included) use for hogs. A semi auto is going to offer your best bet for multiple shots. A lever action would be quicker than a bolt. Had this video sent to me the other day where this guy killed 5 with one shot using buck shot, so that is something I'd like to experiment with.

Log
AG
.416 Rigby is on deck for effectiveness testing.
SMM48
AG
DD 308
Mas89
AG
FNAR 308. Several thousand rounds over the years and never any problems. Nice thump when it hits piggy.
BMach
AG
.300blk AR
agfan2013
AG
AR15 if walking around. M1A if hunting from a fixed spot like a blind.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
The new .308 AR10 build. 2A Xanthos receiver with VSeven BCG and handguard. Added a BSF carbon fiber barrel with Trijicon thermal and suppressor. Same weight as my 300 BLK below. 6.5# without the optic

But if I have to be compact or quiet within 150 yards BCM 300BLK with the Vortex 1-6. Suppressed.
IamGroot
AG
Browning BAR in .338 mag
CS78
If you have a bow stand over a feeder, 3" #1 buck in an auto with a cylinder choke will get you more kills than anything. Pretty easy to get get 2-4 on the first shot and another 2-3 on the run. Tough to do that with any rifle.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
If I were buying a .308 over the counter it would be a POF Revolution.

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/revolution/
WestTexasAg
AG
I do really like the .308 round. Thinking about a new semi-auto version. Some nice suggestions so far. As far as the AR 10 though, isn't that pretty heavy? How about recoil?
JeremiahJohnson
AG
WestTexasAg said:

I do really like the .308 round. Thinking about a new semi-auto version. Some nice suggestions so far. As far as the AR 10 though, isn't that pretty heavy? How about recoil?
Look at the POF Revolution. It is around 7#. It is an AR-15 that shoots .308. Yes that seems like an impossible feat, but it is true.

I built a AR-10 with Xanthos Receiver and Carbon fiber barrel above. It is 6.5# but could be under 6 with a couple changes.

Recoil is ok. Definitely not a 5.56 but manageable.
WestTexasAg
AG
One more question. I've never had a rifle with a pistol grip. Those who do, what do you like about it vs a traditional rifle?
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Never really thought about that. But ergonomically it is more comfortable to me. I guess it helps manage trigger pull for multiple shots. Easier to maintain one handed operation when reloading.
M-Neezy
AG
It's pretty hard to beat an FN SCAR for pigs. I have a 17 in 308. They've since came out with new models and other calibers. I love mine and it's killed it's fair share of piggies up close and at mid distances (~150-200). I don't have longer shots than that at my main hunting place.
WestTexasAg
AG
M-Neezy said:

It's pretty hard to beat an FN SCAR for pigs. I have a 17 in 308. They've since came out with new models and other calibers. I love mine and it's killed it's fair share of piggies up close and at mid distances (~150-200). I don't have longer shots than that at my main hunting place.
Just looked that one up. That thing looks sweet!
Central Committee
AG
SIG 716 suppressed with Surefire can.

Looking to move up from red spotlight to infrared scope soon.
We may not always get what we want. We may not always get what we need. Just so we don't get what we deserve.
Old RV Ag
AG
Model 94, pre-1964, lever .32 WS. Had it forever. Not the best but it's the one I've used the most. Simple, familiar to me, and gets the job done.
Claytond1195
AG
I just starting using an AR 6.5 Grendel and I'm enjoying it. I also like using my marlin 30-30
highvelocity
AG

DD 6.8

Scar 17

Pws 762x39

CZ 6.5 grendel

Marlin 45-70

DD 308

Savage 308
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
WestTexasAg
AG
highvelocity said:

DD 6.8

Scar 17

Pws 762x39

CZ 6.5 grendel

Marlin 45-70

DD 308

Savage 308

Great stuff!
BurrOak
AG
5.56 AR shooting cheap FMJ rounds.
tlfw378
AG
My favorite is my Weatherby 338-378 WBY Mag. With 210g Barnes Tipped triple shocked moly coated bullets. Since you asked. Otherwise, what ever I had on hand.
HookThis
AG
7mm-08 or a .30-06, are personal favorites I've shot them with lots of calibers, I like the .45/70 but the range limitation I don't like. Never been satisfied with the penetration from calibers from .204 to .243 they'll kill good size hogs but not efficiently. I'm about to shoot a few with a 375h&h to get ready for Africa in a couple months
OregonAggie
AG
SKS if I'm walking. .270 if I'm in a blind.
WestTexasAg
AG
What about semi auto .308 caliber rifles in a non AR platform? Anyone have one they really like?
CS78
BAR
theJonatron
AG
I've shot a hog(s) with the following:

.270 BAR II
SKS
AR-15 .223/5.56
45-70 Lever
.300 Blackout Suppressed
00 Buckshot

I love hunting hogs with my AR15 in .223/5.56, but have found if I don't have the best shot placement, even with my very nice and heavy rounds in my 1:8 twist, then after the first hog down then I end up with a few injured that run away. Yes, shot placement, but with hogs for me its about getting as many of them as possible.

.270 BAR II didn't matter where I hit them. They always fell. I would get 2 in one sitting each time with my dads gun, but the maneuverability wasn't the best. It's a heavy gun with a scope only type approach.

.300 Blackout is great. Stopping power is enough, recoil is nothing, and it's quiet!

SKS was like the .270 BAR II, but had to be pretty close since its not the most accurate or maneuverable guns. I once shot a pig from a distance and it's knee blew off it's joint...

45-70 is too much but nothing will get up after that round.

My least favorite was my 00 Buckshot. I had to be very close to knock them down for the count.
WestTexasAg
AG
CS78 said:

BAR
I'm leaning towards this. BAR DBM with an 18" barrel.
P.U.T.U
AG
6.8 is my go to. Think a 6.5 Scar would be fun as heck
SockDePot
I have AR chambered in 7.62x39. Nothing better than pray and spray and only spending $0.15 a shot.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
I use a Ruger Ranch 7.62 x 39 and a Savage Model 340 chambered in 30-30 on most of the hogs I've killed.
ursusguy
AG
Rossi .22-250
Win 64 30-30
Savage 110 .243
Whatever is handy.

Never really had an issue with any of them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.