Outdoors
Sponsored by

Concealed Carry Protocol

4,396 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bradley.Kohr.II
Thomas Sowell, PhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's been a plethora of information on the difference between good and bad shoots. I have more questions about the gray areas of when to display my weapon. I think a typical answer is only pull it out when you intend to use it, meaning pull the trigger. I know there can be practical reasons for just letting someone know you have it but does that cross any legal lines? Super complex question that would no doubt involve a large variety of factors and it has no one answer of course.

Last night just after 11 PM I was in a parking lot on the phone when a guy approaches the back of my car walking a bicycle. He's in my blind spot to my left shoulder. He's trying to get my attention with his hand motions which is really irritating because it should be obvious to him that I'm on the phone.
So he keeps motioning to me and then he steps 3 feet closer to my window which is closed.
I've got a gold 9 mm squeezed halfway between the seat and the console. He finally takes another step and he's right at my window.
I probably should not have done this.

I simply picked up my 9 mm pointing it down but raised it up 2 feet in the air so that he could see I had it. Needless to say he was on his bike and riding away within two seconds.

Maybe I should have just turned and watched him to see if he pulled something out of his pocket. Maybe I should've just driven away. I'm not proud of what I did and I may have put myself at risk legally. I mean I did remain in the car and I never aimed it at him at all but I did display it when he got closer.

Feel free to rip into me.
FIDO 96
AG
I'm still trying to figure out the gold 9mm.
BaitShack
AG
You did good.
Stat Monitor Repairman
The man said gold 9mm. What's so hard to understand?

BCStalk
Sounds like you would lose your license and possibly would be arrested. Unless he tried forcing his way into your vehicle, I think you were in the wrong. Guy could have just been letting you know a light was out for all you know.

Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:

(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm.

SMM48
AG
keep it in the holster, festus.

Drive away.

Can't be flashing a weapon like that.
zooguy96
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Is the OP Qaddafi?
KerrvilleAg
I'm concerned one of those Antifa scums will try something in my vicinity. I will not be able to walk away.
gig em 02
Email staff and ask them to delete this thread and never do that again. Then next time hang up the phone and drive away if you are really worried.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I believe we need to have more info on this gold 9mm. How did you acquire such a weapon? Poker game with a rapper? Found in a duffel bag full of cocaine? Halloween prop taken a little too seriously?
AggiePetro07
AG
If you can leave, even if it's an inconvenience, you should leave with your weapon holstered.

Sometimes you can't though.

Had a situation where a guy tried to get into my truck with me during a traffic jam on 290. He was pissed that a cop directed me to pull onto the shoulder to prevent people from coming over the hill into the wreck about 250 yards ahead.

He came up to my passenger window and started yelling at me. I didn't respond in a way that would escalate it, but all of a sudden the little ginger just snapped and flew into a red-headed, Dillard's toddler temper tantrum and started yanking on my door handle and beating my window.

That's when I pulled my weapon out of my holster and kept it at a low ready while pulling the phone up to dial 911 with the other.

His freckled pale ass face DRAINED of color. I was amazed that color could drain from someone's face that was already that pale. He ran back to his car and got back into the passenger seat (his gf/wife) was driving and he just sat there with his arms crossed and shaking his head. Once I was sure he was there for good, I started to call the police to let them know his plate, my plate and what happened. Just then the traffic started to move and the cop about 250 yards ahead motioned me to come down to the exit ramp. I stopped and told him what happened and he said, "Well, hope he learned his lesson. I'll talk to him." That car was slowly moving about 100 yards behind me and as I left the entrace onto the service road I saw the cop flag him down and make him stop. Don't know what happened after that.
Tagguy
AG
fourth deck
AG
AggiePetro07 said:

If you can leave, even if it's an inconvenience, you should leave with your weapon holstered.

Sometimes you can't though.

Had a situation where a guy tried to get into my truck with me during a traffic jam on 290. He was pissed that a cop directed me to pull onto the shoulder to prevent people from coming over the hill into the wreck about 250 yards ahead.

He came up to my passenger window and started yelling at me. I didn't respond in a way that would escalate it, but all of a sudden the little ginger just snapped and flew into a red-headed, Dillard's toddler temper tantrum and started yanking on my door handle and beating my window.

That's when I pulled my weapon out of my holster and kept it at a low ready while pulling the phone up to dial 911 with the other.

His freckled pale ass face DRAINED of color. I was amazed that color could drain from someone's face that was already that pale. He ran back to his car and got back into the passenger seat (his gf/wife) was driving and he just sat there with his arms crossed and shaking his head. Once I was sure he was there for good, I started to call the police to let them know his plate, my plate and what happened. Just then the traffic started to move and the cop about 250 yards ahead motioned me to come down to the exit ramp. I stopped and told him what happened and he said, "Well, hope he learned his lesson. I'll talk to him." That car was slowly moving about 100 yards behind me and as I left the entrace onto the service road I saw the cop flag him down and make him stop. Don't know what happened after that.
Exactly what I learned in my last CC class. If you happen to unholster, call the cops and tell them the situation. The alternative could be that the crazed lunatic calls the cops and tells them there's a madman who pulled a gun on him; now the cops are looking for you.
GSS
BCStalk said:

Sounds like you would lose your license and possibly would be arrested. Unless he tried forcing his way into your vehicle, I think you were in the wrong. Guy could have just been letting you know a light was out for all you know.

Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:

(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm.

Your vehicle hardly qualifies as a "public place" in the OP's scenario, nor was the firearm displayed in a "public" or threatening manner.

In some cases, TX law extends the rights relegated to your home (Castle doctrine) to also include your vehicle.

Obviously waving a firearm at another driver, (e.g.) for a road rage incident, is an escalation beyond what the OP described.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
navy_one
The lesson here is really this : Don't approach some one sitting in a car, at anytime, from the rear. Assume everyone is armed.
navy_one
Rexter
Did you hold it sideways?
FSGuide
Maybe the OP had rear ended the other guys wife and left the scene and that guy was coming to ask for his insurance info?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
He probably just wanted to tell you there was a banana in your tailpipe.
EMY92
AG
My best advice is to put down the phone when walking across dark parking lots, increase your situational awareness.
drummer0415
AG
Y'all should see the OPs trunk monkey.....

lazuras_dc
AG

It's laughable how bad the graphics were. Still one of the all time greatest games ever though. Respect for owning an actual golden gun
BrazosDog02
AG
This thread went exactly as expected after reading half of the OP.

Greatness.
Naveronski
AG
I'm unclear on part of this.

OP thought there was enough of a threat to possibly warrant deadly force, but not enough to put down the damn phone.

Yes?
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Getting "ready", as in "hand on holster" is something most of us will probably do later than we should - and a reason I'm so fond of pocket carry.

If you pull, it needs to be a situation you would, and do, call the cops about.

Even if you're so rattled, you can't give much info
MisterShipWreck
Nice story....

Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
1. It was a very very light colored gold tone gun.
2. I'm not the biggest fan of 9 mm but it was a gun I inherited
3. I wasn't walking through the parking lot I was in my car
4. I did put my phone down immediately and told the person on the line what was happening
5. It was difficult to assess the situation because the guy was in my blind spot behind my left shoulder and I had to completely turn around to somewhat see him
6. I was at the gym and getting ready for a work out. It would have been annoying to have skipped my workout on account of this POS
7. I do agree that I should have just driven away and come back about 10 minutes later when he was gone.
gig em 02
DrHeadShrink said:

1. It was a very very light colored gold tone gun.
2. I'm not the biggest fan of 9 mm but it was a gun I inherited
3. I wasn't walking through the parking lot I was in my car
4. I did put my phone down immediately and told the person on the line what was happening
5. It was difficult to assess the situation because the guy was in my blind spot behind my left shoulder and I had to completely turn around to somewhat see him
6. I was at the gym and getting ready for a work out. It would have been annoying to have skipped my workout on account of this POS
7. I do agree that I should have just driven away and come back about 10 minutes later when he was gone.

Future thread: "Someone stole my el chapo special from my car while I was working out!"
91AggieLawyer
AG

Here's the deal: any time *I* would unholster a weapon, I'm calling the police immediately. I may get out of there but I'm still calling them.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Naveronski said:

I'm unclear on part of this.

OP thought there was enough of a threat to possibly warrant deadly force, but not enough to put down the damn phone.

Yes?

Being on the phone during a threat can a GOOD thing. If something does go wrong, you have immediate assistance. Calling 911 yourself might take away from your ability to defend yourself if necessary.
AggieBarstool
Why would you draw down on someone when you have the opportunity to remove yourself from the situation?

I know Texas isn't a "duty to retreat's state and allows one to stand their ground... but is human life worth it in a situation like this?

Just my $0.02.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Because thinking under stress is hard. And lots of crazy in some areas.

Ask LEOs how often they've pulled, vs fired their weapons.

And driving away may not be an option/may be riskier.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.