Outdoors
Sponsored by

Webb county Deer lease

3,609 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tshort
Aggie Hunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone hunt off Fm 2895 between Hwy 59 and Aquilares in Webb county?
powerbelly
AG
We hunt a bit closer to freer in webb county
End Of Message
AG
May I ask why?
Aggie Hunter
AG
Thinking about getting on a lease off 2895 and trying to get as much info as I can.
909Ag2006
AG
Big deer. Lots of wind turbines. Personally, I can't stand the sight of them and hate hunting near them (the turbines, not the deer).
"They weren't raiding a Girl Scout troop looking for overdue library books."
Aggie Hunter
AG
How much do the wind turbines affect the deer hunting? Any safety concerns with small kids and illegals?
tshort
AG
Like anywhere else, the way the herd has been managed will play just as big, or possibly bigger, role in the type of deer you see as does the genetics in the area.

We're on a lease a few miles south of there off of 59. Decent genetics (I wouldn't say awesome) but the place hadn't been managed well the past few years. I don't know how many times I've seen a deer and said 'that'll be an awesome deer...in 2-3 years'. VERY few mature deer on our place.

Being so close to the border you WILL have encounters with illegals. 99% of them are benign but it's a factor near the border. You may not physically encounter them but there will be traces. If you ever see a backpack in the woods...leave it alone.

It is nice being close to a decent sized town when you need anything. Let me know if you want to talk more.
Aggie Hunter
AG
Love to ask you some more questions. Text me at 409 782 five five three six
Hoyt Ag
AG
I have 16k acres about 15 miles from there. Not much wet activity, but we do see them. The above is right, all in how it was managed. Dont leave anything in camp you dont want to lose.
End Of Message
AG
Wife's family owns a few thousand acres northeast of Encinal. Can confirm tshort's assessment.

Also, the illegal immigration issue is fairly substantial. A dead body was located in summer last year, and it wasnt the first time that something like that has happened.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
powerbelly
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

Any safety concerns with small kids and illegals?
We have seen lots of illegals over the years and seen traces of even more. A few years ago break-ins got much more commons so now we have to lock up camp more securely and basically leave nothing valuable.

Aggie Hunter
AG
Ok I just have wife and two small girls that will hunt alone in evenings but stay and sleep at camp in mornings. Also, kids like to go ride side by side during day. Girls are 6 and 14 so that's biggest concern I have
AggieJames09
AG
That's great country! If you guys need any help filling I am looking hard for a South Texas lease.
James
210-296-9589
AnScAggie
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

Ok I just have wife and two small girls that will hunt alone in evenings but stay and sleep at camp in mornings. Also, kids like to go ride side by side during day. Girls are 6 and 14 so that's biggest concern I have
Just be prudent and all should be fine. I would suggest for any STX deer camp to leave a case of water and food and supplies in a see through and labeled rat proof box on the porch or outside the door. During the summer it will not prevent break ins because they are looking to cool off, but during hunting season it will most likely cause them grab what they need to move on. Depending on the ranch owners policy and the lease group's feelings a dog works wonders too.
powerbelly
AG
AnScAggie said:

Aggie Hunter said:

Just be prudent and all should be fine. I would suggest for any STX deer camp to leave a case of water and food and supplies in a see through and labeled rat proof box on the porch or outside the door. During the summer it will not prevent break ins because they are looking to cool off, but during hunting season it will most likely cause them grab what they need to move on. Depending on the ranch owners policy and the lease group's feelings a dog works wonders too.

I wouldn't leave anything. You dont want to become a known source of supplies.
AnScAggie
AG
Funny, that's what some of the guys on our lease thought too. They threw the box away and put the water inside and we had three break ins during the subsequent months.
powerbelly
AG
AnScAggie said:

Funny, that's what some of the guys on our lease thought too. They threw the box away and put the water inside and we had three break ins during the subsequent months.

We have break ins no matter what. It was more frequent when the coyotes knew there would be food and water.
Aggie Hunter
AG
How many acres per hunter are most of you guys hunting in that area?
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
AnScAggie said:

We had real good success when we put barking dog alarms at both doors. Never another issue after that
Why not touch a backpack if you find one in the woods down there? Is it because you might end up in a "No Country for Old Men" situation? You definitely don't want that guy coming for you.
tshort
AG
Pretty much. That's what a BP told one of our lease members years ago. Sure enough, this year he came across a backpack on the lease. He went over and looked at it, was about to pick it up but decided not to touch it. Came back about an hour later and it was gone. Who knows if someone was watching it while hiding and might have been armed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.