Outdoors
Sponsored by

Propane hose/regulator question...

989 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ribeye-Rare
Caesar4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to replace my propane hose/regulator (for turkey frying & beer brewing) and I already bought one from Amazon.

But, upon attempting the swap, I found that the original has a 3/8" male fitting where it connects to the burner assembly.

The male fitting on the existing hose looks similar to the one in this picture:

Questions:
  • Can I just get a 3/8" male to 3/8" male adapter and use the hose/regulator that I already have?
  • Is there any important purpose to the nozzle (I assume an adapter doesn't exist that has the nozzle)?

Here's the hose/regulator that I bought (prematurely, it seems):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J63DYI6

ETA: Realized I need a male/male adapter (if it exists), not a female/male. So, edited above.
RCR06
AG
The ones I've always had were like the one you bought with a female end that connects to Male on the burner. I dont see any reason why a Male to Male adapter would create a ptoblem.
6.5 Swede
I wouldn't do it. The existing looks like it has the restricting flow orifice built into the hose like this:

https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Propane-Orifice-Connector-Fitting/dp/B07D93WXJX/ref=pd_cp_86_1/147-9574915-7118049?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07D93WXJX&pd_rd_r=3779f568-d4c4-4849-adea-33abb5af4654&pd_rd_w=MJf3Z&pd_rd_wg=3aPfR&pf_rd_p=8b7a1fd1-136c-4b2c-8fd7-681e38610ce2&pf_rd_r=BRKJZRV99QF57T3BBXG6&psc=1&refRID=BRKJZRV99QF57T3BBXG6

goatchze
AG
Cut each hose in half. Use a male-male barbed nipple and two hose clamps to attach your old hose end to the hose coming off the new regulator.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Caesar,

I'd either get the male-to-male adapter (and make damn sure you've got the threads tight and leak free), or spend the money for the correct hose assembly and use it with your new regulator .

If the threads are pipe threads, use some 'Rectorseal' or a similar LP-Gas approved pipe dope on them. Test your connections with a leak detector solution when your done.

BTW, I'm a big fan of worm-drive hose clamps, but NOT in this particular application. Those things will loosen up in time, and if you develop even a small leak on a medium pressure (20 PSI) gas line in the area of an open flame, that's a very bad thing. A medium pressure line has far more danger potential that the standard low pressure lines found on most backyard gas grills. Those are only about 1/2 PSI (11" WC). That's why all those factory hose assemblies have hydraulically crimped ends.

FWIW, I use to maintain a Texas Railroad Commission propane license for a manufacturing company I ran, complete with periodic classroom continuing education, and some of the reported accidents (and causes) they covered in training were just head shakers -- including hose barb/hose clamp stuff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.