Outdoors
Sponsored by

Vortex Diamondback vs Leupold Freedom 3x9- 40

16,049 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgDad121619
AgDad121619
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reviews look good for both - and both are $200 at Bass Pro - looking to put on Ruger American predator in 6.5 creedmoor. What does the board think is the better scope?
SMM48
AG
The vortex has a wider field of view than the Leopold.

The vortex has a little less eye relief than the leopold

The vortex is an oz heavier and OL is shorter than the leopold,

With price being, I'd go with the wider field of view. Vortex.

Links below so you can compare the two

https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-diamondback-3-9x40-riflescope-with-dead-hold-bdc-reticle-moa-dbk-01-bdc.aspx

https://www.eurooptic.com/Leupold-VX-Freedom-3-9x40-Matte-Duplex-174180.aspx
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I would go Leupold. I bought one for a ranch rifle and it's pretty dang clear. I would say it's equivalent to the Var-XII.

Based on the comments about lower end vortex glass, I might stay away from them. Eyeguy or someone else can probably chime in with better knowledge of that.
CTGilley
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I would go Leupold. I bought one for a ranch rifle and it's pretty dang clear. I would say it's equivalent to the Var-XII.

Based on the comments about lower end vortex glass, I might stay away from them. Eyeguy or someone else can probably chime in with better knowledge of that.

It is an upgrade to the VX-2. The glass and coatings are the same as the VX-III before it changed to the VX-3i.

I had the diamond back and considered it garbage. I have 2 crossfire II I would trade for a decent box of ammo.
Mas89
AG
A leupold scope came on my first rifle 40 plus years ago. It's still there and still works great. I've purchased 3 more for other rifles over the years and all have been good. Including a couple of ranch rifles that live in a truck. Seems to be the best for the money but I've never had a reason to buy a vortex.
CharlieBrown17
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Honestly I'd stay away from mid level vortex glass now too, nothing wrong with it but they've stagnated while everyone else has been getting better the last five years or so.
SMM48
AG
Just go Trijicon and be done with it......you'll also get a bible verse with every optic.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I have the VX Freedom Rimfire on a .22 WMR and absolutely love it.
ghollow
AG
I have always had very good luck with Leupolds. I think they are the toughest scope made. I have banged mine around pretty good in the past and they never lose their zero.

I do have a Vortex on my AR. I like it as well.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
The diamondback glass is fine but I'd much rather have a VX-Freedom over a DB. Yeah, the DB has a wider FOV but absolute clarity and lowlight will go to the VX-Freedom.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
AgDad121619
AG
Looks like Leupold 7-1 at this point - thanks for the input - Leupold it is
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
AgDad121619 said:

Unless you have gift cards for bass pro... it's like $169 on black market with coupon code TEXAGS... just sayin. Order it tonight or tomorrow and you'll have it in hand by Thurs or so.

https://www.texianblackmarket.com/products/optics-leupold-174180-030317018702-2290

Shameless plug over
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Both are decent entry level optics. Go with whichever is cheapest. Judging from TheEyeGuy's post above, that is the Leupold.
AgDad121619
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

AgDad121619 said:

Unless you have gift cards for bass pro... it's like $169 on black market with coupon code TEXAGS... just sayin. Order it tonight or tomorrow and you'll have it in hand by Thurs or so.

https://www.texianblackmarket.com/products/optics-leupold-174180-030317018702-2290

Shameless plug over
. Yes Bass Pro Shop cards - but will keep you in mind on next go around - getting my gun a academy gift card
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.